Yep, me too - starting over

Medrod
Full Access
Medrod
Full Access
03/08/2017 9:47 pm

I played acoustic guitar for about ten years, but that was over 40 years ago. (For me, it was not like riding a bike - I did have to start over.) I was an engineer and our family was relocated. With the new job and a young family, life just got complicated. Many times I wanted to restart...new week. Of course than never happened.

Now in my 70's, a little over a year ago I decided, "It's now or never." I still had my old guitar, but it needed some work so I bought a Guild D120CE which I really like. Since then I had my original, a Martin D45 knock off, re-crowned and it's great, again.

Since I'm retired and living six months of the year in each of two locations, training is a problem. I have a teacher, with over 50 years experience and my age, so we relate well. He loads me WAY down with stuff before I leave the area. However, after a few months, I am a loss to continue learning. That's where Guitar Tricks comes in.

Currently, I'm running through beginner material here to see what I may have missed and to get aquainted with this site. By this summer I will have discovered the leasons that are at my current level and go from there.

[br](Medrod is a handle I've used for other sites and the one I used when I signed on for a free trial. My first name is Rich, not that it matters.)

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/08/2017 11:23 pm

It's never too late to start learning! We're really stoked to have you, Medrod. Hope you put that Guild to good use, they're fantastic guitars.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Joe105
Joe105
03/09/2017 9:40 am

Hi Rich and welcome.

I'm 72 and also starting over after many years of guitar deprivation.

I'm about 5 to 6 weeks into the course and doing quite well.

So, " Now or never" for the both of us, eh?

I hope you get on well and it all pans out as you planned.

The main thing is, of course, enjoy yourself.

Happy playing.

Joe

# 3
Medrod
Full Access
Medrod
Full Access
03/09/2017 8:54 pm

Yes, I really like the Guild. I've had it for about 9 months and have a little over 200 hours on it....seems like most of that has been finger excersizes. But I'm enjoying the moment and not worrying about water under the bridge. When my instructor tell me, "You'll use this all your life," I tell him I was hoping for something that would last more than just a few years. His usual reply is along the line, "You're not to the point where you shouldn't buy green banannas yet." It's all good. Good luck and enjoy your renewed journey.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.