Music Education

Cavefish X
Cavefish X
07/09/2002 5:38 pm
Are there any players that have had any formal training in music? Specifically, anyone that has majored/minored in music in a college. I am a graduate of the guitar program (1989) at Music Tech College, which is the Twin Cites version of GIT I guess. I think I would recomend the 2 year guitar training instead of the 4 year general music degree. You learn just as much from other guitarists as you do from the professors. You also get exposed to other styles of music you normally wouldnt get exposed to. Which is a good thing, since there is more out there then just what you like.
What's the difference between a puppy and a singer-songwriter?
Eventually the puppy stops whining.

# 1
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
07/11/2002 3:55 am
University of the Arts, Philadelphia
BA & Ma in jazz studies

The tech schools are nice cuase you don't have to deal with all the humanities classes, but sometimes the little piece of paper comes in handy in landing a job.
# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/19/2002 1:51 am
what job? :)

# 3
nasum_human
nasum_human
07/19/2002 2:57 am
I'm tempted to go for some kind of formal qualification, I'm originally a brit, I moved to the USA in the middle of last year, and my wife and I are both keen to get worthwhile qualifications, the problem is that my wife doesnt consider me playing guitar for 4 years worthwhile, I told her I could work as a number of things, from session musician to teacher, to technician, but she and I to a certain extent feel my options would be limited by the area in which we live. My question is really along the lines of 'is it worth doing a recognised qualification in a musical area, just for the satisfaction of it?' I'm quite willing to take on a course like that, just for my own personal development, but is it 'fun' and enjoyable? or would I feel too much stress?? I'm curious about this kind of stuff, I play fingerstyle classical guitar at a grade 7 level, although I've not practiced in well over a year so I'm prolly way back down there. Any input would be appreciated!
guns dont kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)
# 4
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
07/20/2002 1:35 am
I have a PhD in 'marshmallow eating'
# 5
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
07/20/2002 1:37 am
Having a diploma is not always useful, but as Chris said, it's sometimes this that puts you through the doors.
Sometimes, it's sheer luck. And sometimes, it's because the people there liked your shirt, or how you played (that last one is pretty rare though ;) )...
# 6
nasum_human
nasum_human
07/20/2002 2:47 am
well.... I'm sure I could get a record deal, hell in the current sterile climate of rock music in general, it seems to me like they're just handing out contracts to anyone who asks for one, this is the only way I can rationalise a band like 'flaw' getting signed, I'm just wondering whether doing a degree in guitar studies is something I would find worthwhile, simply as something to fill out my character?
guns dont kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)
# 7
Bardsley
Bardsley
07/20/2002 5:59 am
I'm probably going to do a diploma of music after my arts degree, simply because, even if I don't get a job in the music industry, I'm happy to spend three years to better myself at something which in the very least could end up being my major leisure activity for the rest of my life. In my opinion, something like a humanities degree, or a music degree that's based primarily in theory is more likely to be go at giving you a way to "better" yourself, something that will improve your mind in ways that could be useful for your life outside of playing (anything that challenges your mind, I believe, is worthwhile). on the other hand, a tech school would probably be more "fun", but, unless you get a job playing guitar, it's not going to be as beneficial, I wouldn't think. Of course, I'm only 19 and 5'10, so my opinion is fairly useless.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 8
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
07/20/2002 9:20 am
I wouldn't wait to have a record deal. I would produce myself. I have just interviewed the great Ron THAL, who said that if he had to do it again, he would produce himself, to keep the rights to his music, and advertise on the net.
# 9
nasum_human
nasum_human
07/20/2002 4:57 pm
yeah I know what you mean, look at a band like Fugazi, they've made it completely on their own terms. I have some friends who own a record label here that they started up on their own.
The local rock radio station near where I live in Wisconsin is good about supporting local talent also, so those things are always an option.
If you're curious about what my music sounds like, check out bands like prodigy, aphex twin, berzerker, atari teenage riot, but all with stronger guitar led melodies.
whether or not this music would be popular I have no idea, but hell it's different!
# 10
trebledamage
trebledamage
07/23/2002 11:38 am
There is one advantage to getting a degree that I can think of. If you have a 4 year degree from an acredited college or university, you will be in a much better position to land a job as a full time music teacher in a school system in the event that your dream career in the music industry doesn't pan out. At least you would be in a job with medical benefits that pays pretty well and you would have the opportunity to collect a pension when you retire.
:cool:
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.