Slash Tone

nicklaspetrelius
nicklaspetrelius
10/29/2015 1:11 pm
Hi,

Im using the Slash AFD package with guitar and epiphone amp.

Im currently working on learning November Rain but i cant get the right tone for the verse and solo´s.

Can someone help me out on how to configure my amp and guitar to get close to the sound Slash gets , is it even possible with that gear ?

And also, if you can help me with that maybe you can help me on how to get the right sound for "Knockin on heavens door", i know the whole song but something isnt right since the tone is off.

Ive played guitar for about a year , so please help a beginner out :)
# 1
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
10/29/2015 4:59 pm
Originally Posted by: nicklaspetreliusHi,

Im currently working on learning November Rain but i cant get the right tone for the verse and solo´s.

Can someone help me out on how to configure my amp and guitar to get close to the sound Slash gets , is it even possible with that gear ?

And also, if you can help me with that maybe you can help me on how to get the right sound for "Knockin on heavens door", i know the whole song but something isnt right since the tone is off.

This doesn't outline any specific songs, but it's still a pretty thorough look at Slash's generic amp settings:

https://www.guitarchalk.com/slash-amp-settings-dirty-and-clean-tone/

Hope this helps!
# 2
eransh10
eransh10
07/07/2016 6:29 pm

Hi,
I'm also a beginner (used to play classical guitar many years ago and recently started playing squire strat.
My advise to you would be that:
Avoid spending time and money trying to achive Slash tone. Most of it is the way he plays. He spends 9 hours a day playing guitar - thats why he sounds that good.
Spend your time learning to play and practice.
If you really insist on getting tone like him - try WAH pedal or better bang for your buck - buy a modeling amp like peavey viper VIP 1 which has tons of amps and effects with it.
Eran.
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/10/2016 12:01 pm
Originally Posted by: nicklaspetreliusHi,

Like eransh said. Slash practices a lot and has spent years developing how he plays. What I would add is that Slash will sound like that if he's plugged in to an amp or not. Tone is more about how you play than what you play it through. I mean, yes, big fat singing overdriven sound doesn't come from the sky. It takes equipment to do that.

What you want to spend your time on is how things are played. Not just the notes but how the notes are played. In November Rain, the opening notes of the solo sing and cry a bit. One of Slash's signatures is that he tends to bend just a wee bit past pitch. At to my ear. First, learn how to bend to the correct pitch within the scale (half step or whole step), then spend time figuring out where Slash stops.

You could have every piece of equipment own by Slash and have Slash set it up just the way he sets it. You could play though it and not sound like him. It's more about the player and less about the equipment and settings.
# 4
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
09/12/2016 9:13 pm

Agree fully with the comments on trying to sound just like him. He has a very simple rig as far as any effects go, and his sound is that Les Paul/Marshall combo just tweeked his way. I just bought a Code25 (Marshall) modeling amp to use in the house which models just about every Marshall ever made for $199 (Sweetwater). You can get close and dial up what you want from there. 100% agree that his sound comes from him not the gear, but having the right stuff does help...
# 5
takiomail444
takiomail444
12/06/2016 10:49 pm

You should check theese pedals[br]https://musicsquare.co.uk/109277_Marshall-GV2-The-Guvnor-Plus-efekt-gitarowy.html[br]http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MojoMojo[br]Here you have list of his equipment[br]http://equipboard.com/pros/slash

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.