View post (Slash Tone)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
07/10/2016 12:01 pm
Originally Posted by: nicklaspetreliusHi,

Im using the Slash AFD package with guitar and epiphone amp.

Im currently working on learning November Rain but i cant get the right tone for the verse and solo´s.

Can someone help me out on how to configure my amp and guitar to get close to the sound Slash gets , is it even possible with that gear ?

And also, if you can help me with that maybe you can help me on how to get the right sound for "Knockin on heavens door", i know the whole song but something isnt right since the tone is off.

Ive played guitar for about a year , so please help a beginner out :)

Like eransh said. Slash practices a lot and has spent years developing how he plays. What I would add is that Slash will sound like that if he's plugged in to an amp or not. Tone is more about how you play than what you play it through. I mean, yes, big fat singing overdriven sound doesn't come from the sky. It takes equipment to do that.

What you want to spend your time on is how things are played. Not just the notes but how the notes are played. In November Rain, the opening notes of the solo sing and cry a bit. One of Slash's signatures is that he tends to bend just a wee bit past pitch. At to my ear. First, learn how to bend to the correct pitch within the scale (half step or whole step), then spend time figuring out where Slash stops.

You could have every piece of equipment own by Slash and have Slash set it up just the way he sets it. You could play though it and not sound like him. It's more about the player and less about the equipment and settings.