lightening fast leads don't go well with chicks

munqy
munqy
06/17/2002 5:57 pm
Random post ... i want to see your oppinons on this topic.
I can play all these lightening fast leads and heavy riffs , but chicks don't dig that (any more, at least). What gets the girls is playing three power chords and humming a sorry excuse for a melodic chorus and wearing toothy grins.
I can't beat them at their own game now.
So whats the point with even trying to play the solo for voodoo child when trying to show off when the lanky Justin timberlake wannabe gets away with tunes like ( "i feel fine") and ending it off with three muted power chords.

i gave up trying so i joined the basket ball team in 9th grade till now - thats my alternative to stooping down to the level of Blink 182, ridlin kids , and 3rd strike.

we experiance muscians have to make a stand.
real tyte bro \m/
# 1
nechako
nechako
06/17/2002 6:36 pm
its all to do with timing, start slow and raise to a climax or mutliple climaxes in the solo. Consider playing to someone as you are making love....a technique Led Zeppelin encorperated...e.i. Stairway to heaven. The single most important complaint women have about music is the same as love making,....lack of foreplay...or the pe-solos, warm the audience with nice romantic emotional legato...then let nature take it's place from there,...then wind it all down and carress them to a smooth safe warm emotional landing. People don't always like to be emotionally rammed by music and then left cold,...especially a lovely women.

[Edited by nechako on 06-17-2002 at 01:43 PM]
# 2
James8831
James8831
06/17/2002 8:44 pm
Second that emotion..but,i go for Dazed and Confused stylee.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
06/17/2002 8:55 pm
I don't play music for chicks. I do what sounds good to me.
# 4
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
06/17/2002 9:07 pm
it'll get their attention, make them say "wow"

but then you got to follow it up with what nechako said.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 5
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
06/17/2002 9:20 pm
Originally posted by zepp_rules
it'll get their attention, make them say "wow"

I'm not really sure... Most people (including chicks) think you are awesome if you play the actual Top charts guitar arpeggios, but if you played dream theater twice faster with your index tied to your pinky, they couldn't care less.
Have you ever heard "wow Santana is just amazingly fast" and after you play some Satch or some crazy Shrapnel shredder, still it's "so? Santana is still so dang fast, and he plays this wah wah stuff, how revolutionnary!!"
# 6
nechako
nechako
06/17/2002 11:19 pm
seeking appreciation from uneducated audiances leaves even the best virtuoiuuuuaauooso(spelling??) frustrated. I used to busk for money, I started by playing classical, beautifull stuff...I earned hardley anything...untill I played outside liquer stores very poorly the same out of tune garbage riffs over and over, especially songs that are depreessing. I quit seeking appreciation from fools long ago.
In college (ages ago) I used a certain song as "panty remoover", worked almost too well, Stairway to heaven. Corney but it worked. Even if I played it poorly it worked better than anything great that I could play at the time. I could sit there playing her original stuff, beautifull things,..with no response,...a few bars of stairway...well you get my drift.

[Edited by nechako on 06-17-2002 at 06:23 PM]
# 7
DX10D65
DX10D65
06/17/2002 11:47 pm
The thing is, girls aren't paying attention to the guitar most of the time, they could care less. If you have lots o money, or you're attractive, or your famous, then they'll jump on you for whatever you play. case in point: All hair bands, Keith Richards, all modern bands. It's sad, but mainly true
# 8
THE_HACK_PACK
THE_HACK_PACK
06/18/2002 1:29 am
Play for yourself,when the female comes around,spare 5 minutes and play"Green Day" or something.

You know why women keep they're eyes closed during sex??

They hate seeing a man having a good time.

[Edited by THE_HACK_PACK on 06-17-2002 at 08:32 PM]
CAKE or DEATH????

Ummmmmmm,Cake Please,,Oh,It's Very Nice.
-Eddie Izzard-
# 9
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
06/18/2002 2:43 am
depends on the girl as well.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 10
munqy
munqy
06/18/2002 10:14 am
Originally posted by THE_HACK_PACK

AHahha rite on man. i get teh drift. playing gigs don't get them panties flying no more. Oh well, i guess the stuff i play is too evil its not the 'feel good' brand. Popularity undermines it all bros... the chicks r looking out for idits that can play chart toppers. These teeny boppers don't know what arppegios are let alone hammer ons or chords. ask them to name a part of teh geetar ... see if u can get a response. All i get is "wow that sounds nice" , or "thats fast", and they leave. But its got the this after affect. The way i got into my current band is by showing off to my vocalists girlfriend (now his ex), i walked by one day and she's like ..."that kid can play fast" and i was in.

Though the band wanted me to play songs by coal chamber ... i brought in a bit of palm muted riffs of earth crisis and a dash of death metal riffs from walls of jericho. The band rocks now.

Whats wierd is that my band is made up of the most diverse kind of muscians. Don't get me wrong they're all good. - our vocalists obsessed with deftones, we've got a drummer who listens to techno, a guy stuck in drop b tunning and an awsome bassist, she listens to primus. I won't boast about myself...what teh hell why not .. ny hardcore and death metal, yada u've heard this b4.
wait whats this post about again?
real tyte bro \m/
# 11
Bardsley
Bardsley
06/18/2002 3:53 pm
Actually, none of the girls I know could care less about playing charts. In fact, they generally don't care about playing anything, though sometimes if I play something that is "nice" they might like it. But think about it, if you're sitting there with a girl, no matter what you play is always going to be less interesting to them than if you actually sat and TALKED to them. Guitarists become too obsessed with their playing (I know I do) and forget that the best way to impress a girl is... There, you've already lost them by trying to figure out the trick to impressing them. Every girl is different, but the ones I like to hang out with like me to actually engage them in conversation, and listen to what THEY have to say, rather than go "Hey, check out my Satch solo", which is kinda like saying, "hey, check out my WRX".
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 12
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
06/18/2002 5:02 pm
The sort of 'chicks' I play for are the ones who can just appreciate the way I play without me having to play copies of shredded solos, fast riffs, etc. I'll admit I copy things that sound impressive but I like to find ways to do my own thing, and if a chick likes what I do it means we have an understanding between us.

Satch's 'Love thing' seems appropriate here....I've always felt he succeeded in creating a 'makin love' kinda mood there, and I can copy the notes almost exactly if I take it a little slower than he did, but if I ever had a girl say to me 'I love you so much, you can copy a satch song!' I would know I was in for a hollow and meaningless relationship if I decided to try and make it any further.

Satch's 'Extremist' is a track I jam along with all the time, I've never copied his solo on that one because I prefer what I do with it....not that its better, its just different......it's me being me on a guitar. If a chick complimented me on that, then i'd get the kick from it.

As for the 'thinking-of-sex-while-you-play' idea, I like it :) If you havent already, check out the section of Vai's website where he goes into the emotional and physical side to guitar playing....he gives examples of actions and feelings you can medidtate on and try and reflect with music......(orgasm isnt listed but after reading this thread I've gotta go try it......lol)
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 13
nechako
nechako
06/18/2002 5:14 pm
AS I matured in life and music I began to play and appreciate more refined music. Young people are new to the world, unexperienced, so whats loudest and coolest grabs them. I try to focus on my own integrety now, and as for ladies I focus on the ones that have a warm friendly honest mature quality about them. Usually 30 years plus is a good rule. But hey if green day works I rip it off, I'm only a humble man.
# 14
keepingitbrutal
keepingitbrutal
06/18/2002 8:34 pm
The thing I've figured out is that you don't even talk to girls about your music. They don't care. And you don't play for them unless its a chart topper, they'll just look at you with a blank stare or start talking to some other guy. Trying to get the appreciation of someone tht doesn't understand your talent is pointless. I'm with you though mungy keep music brutally fast and unforgiving but when the ladies are around just set your instrument down and start talking to them. You'll get a better response. It's not the 80's anymore chicks don't dig metal.
# 15
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
06/18/2002 8:38 pm
I usually work on girls with big boobs...
# 16
nechako
nechako
06/18/2002 10:28 pm
me too lal I like a little chunk in the trunk.
# 17
kimbob
kimbob
06/19/2002 5:30 am
A good heavy rockin' version of Roy Orbisons "Pretty Woman"(like van halens) always did the trick for me. Especially if you can sing it like Roy and play it like Eddie! Find a girl on the dance floor or the audience and make eye contact with her and dont take your eyes off her util the next song. Sing and play it right at her. Theres something about that intro hook that gets em' every time (EEG#BDF#ED...A-F#m etc..) But all women care about are the singers. I once had a lead singer in one of my bands that weighed 300 lbs but he could sing like Steven Tyler and that guy laid more pipe than a plumber. It has something to do with the mating call or something like that. Go figure.:confused:
"Let that boy Boogie Woogie. Cause' it in em' and it got to come out." -John Lee Hooker-
There's no substitute for expeience. So get out there and break some strings on stage.
# 18
mamamalabass
mamamalabass
06/19/2002 4:55 pm
Originally posted by THE_HACK_PACK
Play for yourself,when the female comes around,spare 5 minutes and play"Green Day" or something.

[Edited by THE_HACK_PACK on 06-17-2002 at 08:32 PM]

NOT NECCESSARILY!!!I KEEP MY EYES OPEN.lol.
# 19
mamamalabass
mamamalabass
06/19/2002 4:59 pm
Originally posted by PonyOne
My g/f likes rock and stuff. She grew up in a household where nobody takes anything seriously, and so two of her favorite performers are Devo and They Might Be Giants. I don't really like "silly" music that much, to me, it's the musical equivelant of a half hour of Nikelodeon cartoons. She's gradually become more and more accepting of serious music, thanks to me, and listening to less and less silly **** with dumb little noises (anybody heard of Zap Mama? euurghhh).

The only issue I really had with her not liking something I wrote wasn't even her not liking it. I played back a song that I'd done half on synth and half with guitar, sounded sorta like Prodigy. And she immedeately gripped onto the high-pitched synth sound I had going every measure and was moving her head back and forth to it, with a big stupid grin on her face and her tongue out. I hit the roof. IT WAS A SONG ABOUT MY FRIEND COMMITTING SUICIDE!!! Some girls just don't really seem to get music with depth to it, and then, you have the guys who drive slammed Civics and listen to thoughtless (albiet catchy) drum and bass stuff. My girlfriend plays music, but she didn't have much exposure to more heartfelt music growing up, save for Depeche Mode.

People who aren't musically talented get suckered into talentless music; it's easier for them to understand. We listen to a song that has a good solo, and can appreciate that as guitarists, and then can also appreciate the muted harmonic rythm guitar in the background, and the intricate bass and the brush hitting the cymbal behind all the thrashing of toms. And we bleed with the lead singer when he purs his sould into that last line. To everyone else, it's just hard rock. They go "eeeew" and them switch the dial to some pretty face with no talent saying "I want you back", swoon, sing along, and then talk about how X guy they know looks like Y celebrity.

I'm a musician. I'm an artist. I do my thing and everyone else falls into line. Nobody tells me how to do my art. (hey, I could incorporate that into a song...)
yes,Yes,YEs,YES that is the ticket.We are artists after all aren't we?
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.