First guitar recording setup

Mason Bruce
Mason Bruce
05/14/2014 3:07 am
I've been doing some research and I'm thinking of getting a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface, the $60 Reaper recording software, and then downloading some kind of guitar rig simulator. I'm recording a song for a compilation CD, and I was wondering if anyone who has had experience could tell me if I'm on the right track. Thanks.
# 1
maggior
maggior
05/14/2014 3:20 pm
Hey Mason -

Welcome aboard!!

The audio interface you chose looks good, as long as you will record a maxiumum of 2 things at once in mono. I have a similar interface (Yamaha Audiogram 6) that I use to record guitar.

I've heard good things about Reaper - so that should work fine for you.

As far as a guitar rig simulator, you might be better served by an outboard device - like a Line 6 POD or something similar (Zoom and Boss make similar products). These devices have dedicated hardware to do the simulation so it won't bog down your PC. The simulation may also be of better quality.

These outboard devices will also act as an audio interface for the guitar, so it would simplify the setup in a way. You could use the other audio interface for recording vocals or other things. The other audio interface can also be use to monitor when you are creating the final mix using Reaper.

Best of luck with your recording project!!
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/14/2014 3:58 pm
Originally Posted by: Mason BruceI've been doing some research and I'm thinking of getting a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface, the $60 Reaper recording software, and then downloading some kind of guitar rig simulator. I'm recording a song for a compilation CD, and I was wondering if anyone who has had experience could tell me if I'm on the right track. Thanks.

If you are only recording guitar/bass tracks, I use this for my amps/guitar connection. If you need vocals and other stuff requiring a microphone, then it is a good option for only guitar but won't get you everything you need.

I don't have an interface but opted for direct in stuff so for a mic I got the Blue Yeti.

Not that this is what everyone wants to use but it works well for me.
# 3
Mason Bruce
Mason Bruce
05/29/2014 11:55 pm
Thanks for the help guys, there's so much information out there it's hard to know where to start.
# 4
Torsten Borg
Torsten Borg
06/24/2014 6:39 am
Hi Mason!

I have a Focusrite interface and dig it. I also use Reaper and love it.

Guitar Rig is awesome if you don't want to get into the recording hassle and just record straight away. (If i had GR i would probably use it for recording demos, because i wouldn't have to set up microphones every time i had to record).

Anyways, just make sure your computer has enough power because Guitar Rig uses a lot of CPU.

All the best!
-Torsten Borg
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.