Pickups... Which ones should I choose?

Kasperow
Kasperow
02/25/2014 4:55 pm
Well, I've got a technical question here. I've recently grown a bit dissatisfied with my Les Paul, and I've decided to modify it a bit, so it better suits my needs. I don't really like the stock Pickups it came with, because they have some trouble with getting the Treble-y bite of 70's/80's Hard Rock and Hair Metal, but I have no clue which ones to get in order to achieve that classic Rock-tone. I'm thinking of trying out the DiMarzio DP100F BK/CR (don't know if it's a Bridge or Neck Pickup), but on the other hand, I also think the EMG-81 and EMG-85 Pickups kick ass when combined (81 in Bridge, 85 in Neck). I've tried out a single guitar with those Pickups, and it sounded great through any amp I tested it with, but I've read that it's most suited for more modern Rock and Metal...

Any suggestions? I'm seriously split between those two options. The DiMarzio sounds nice, raw and Treble-y, but the EMGs just sound plain badass.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 1
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
02/25/2014 11:36 pm
these are awesome http://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/humbuckersvintagehot.html
# 2
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/26/2014 2:06 am
If I may, I would definitely steer you away from the EMGs. They sound killer to be sure, but because they are active pickups, you're not going to get as much tone from the wood of the Les Paul. They are very much a modern sounding pickup.

I think you're on the right track with the DiMarzio Super Distortion. The Oil City pickups look pretty sweet too!

Good luck man!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 3
Kasperow
Kasperow
02/26/2014 4:51 am
I've never heard of the Oil City pickups before. Not even the name... Neither of the two places I usually buy gear have the brand, and only one of them has the DiMarzio Super Distortion Pickups. I think I'll try out the DiMarzio.

I noticed on the website for the shop that sells them, that they come in a regular and an F-Spaced version. What does F-Spaced mean, when talking about Pickups? And how do you tell if a Pickup is a Bridge Pickup or Neck Pickup, when they look identical? Hope you don't mind my questions. I just know close to nothing about Pickups...

Edit: After having looked into the Oil City Pickups, it seems those are a good option too, and at least they outright state that they can be wound for Bridge or Neck positions. I'm going to have to check out some demos of them so I'm not just buying blindly, but at least I've got two great options that fit my style now :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 4
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
02/27/2014 12:19 am
i can give a thumbs up for Oil City Pickups, i have a humbucker from them fitted to one of my guitars. The reason you may have never heard of them before is because they only sell direct from their website and each pickup is hand made in the uk. They come with a lifetime guarantee which is nice to have and there is a contact number on the website if you want to phone them. I did and i spoke to a guy called Ash who was really helpfull and actually made my pickup too.
I recommend you at least give them a call and have a chat about their pickups before deciding what you buy, it's not often you get to talk to the person who is going to make the pickup for you before you buy it.
# 5
Kasperow
Kasperow
02/27/2014 6:50 am
Well, that could explain why I've never heard of them before. I just looked and saw that there's an email address I can contact them on, so I'll send them a mail with a few questions I've got, and hopefully I'll get some answers, so I can find out which Pickups I want. I haven't had any luck finding a a demo video so I can hear how they sound. The DiMarzio sounds pretty cool, though, but on the other hand, the Oil City comes with lifetime guarantee, so he must be pretty confident in the quality.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 6
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
02/27/2014 8:36 am
i can't find a demo of the humbucker i linked you too which is the scrapyard dog plus but that's the humbucker i have in one of my guitars but i did find some demo's of some of his single coil pickups.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=oil%20city%20pickups&sm=3
# 7
aschleman
aschleman
04/08/2014 3:32 pm
Don't go with active pickups if you ever want to have a decent organic clean tone... EMG's dominate the tone palette. They will destroy a good amp/guitar tone combination. However, if you simply want to crank it up and chug away James Hetfield riffs... those are your pickups.
# 8
2gross4u
2gross4u
09/21/2014 1:35 pm
Best pickups for a Les Paul....Seymour Duncan Antiquities...imho
# 9
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
09/22/2014 2:10 am
DiMarzio all the way!
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.