Help needed on basic bending and vibrato...

Kasperow
Kasperow
02/15/2013 9:16 pm
Hello, everyone.

During today's practice, I decided to try and spice up a pretty simple solo by adding some bends and vibrato, but every time I tried to bend the strings, the strings were muted instead of changing pitch. I did it as described in the Bends and Vibrato tutorial, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing something horribly wrong, since my strings are just muffled if not completely muted. Can someone please help me out?
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
02/16/2013 1:15 am
Could it be that you are pushing the finger toward the fret, and getting a little up over the fret?

I tried to duplicate your problem and found if I pushed toward the fret, the volume would die.

Let me know if that worked?

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
haghj500
haghj500
02/16/2013 2:49 am
Barrowing from Jonā€™s idea I picked up my guitar and watched how my fingers moved. Once my finger is on the string and itā€™s ringing, I just push or pull to make it move, but my finger tip does not roll on the string at all. The angle of the tip of my finger to the neck never changes in relationship to the neck. So my top knuckle never moves and the bottom two knuckles do the moving of the string. Make sure you are pushing down on the string as you are pushing/pulling.
# 3
Kasperow
Kasperow
02/16/2013 10:01 am
Originally Posted by: haghj500Barrowing from Jonā€™s idea I picked up my guitar and watched how my fingers moved. Once my finger is on the string and itā€™s ringing, I just push or pull to make it move, but my finger tip does not roll on the string at all. The angle of the tip of my finger to the neck never changes in relationship to the neck. So my top knuckle never moves and the bottom two knuckles do the moving of the string. Make sure you are pushing down on the string as you are pushing/pulling.

Well, that could explain what I'm doing wrong. In all the videos I've watch that include bends in the riffs, I always thought they push with the tip of the finger, so that's what I've been trying to do. No wonder it didn't work out as planned...

When I get the chance, I'll try doing it as you explained, hopefully with better results.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/16/2013 11:12 am
Key is, you are not applying any less pressure on the string than you did when to just simply fretted the note.

You probably know this.

But, there are a million different ways to bend a note. What pretty much remains true is that little of the bend has to do with your finger bending the note. A bend involves your finger (a little) and your wrist a bit and even your arm/forearm.

Eric Clapton uses just about his full forearm and his elbow as the pivot point to bend and shake a note. Others use more wrist.

This is important because, what the larger bunch of body parts does is what was said above, keeps your finger on the same spot of the string.

When you watch someone here or on Youtube, watch their wrist and arm too.

If you just push up the note with your finger muscle, your losing the strength of your grip on the string itself. using the bigger muscle groups instead of your finger allows your contact/grip in the string at the point of contact much more strongly.

This is my take, anyway.
# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/17/2013 4:19 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowDuring today's practice, I decided to try and spice up a pretty simple solo by adding some bends and vibrato, but every time I tried to bend the strings, the strings were muted instead of changing pitch.

I cover some of the basic mechanics of bending in these lessons.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=15905&s_id=1147

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=20406&s_id=1614

Hope those help!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.