I bought a car with no wheelnuts/Guitar STRAP

Christopher James
Christopher James
01/18/2013 11:54 am
I bought a car took it for a spin down the road and bingo! The wheel nuts fell off the tyres and rollin and a tumblin... were my wheels into the neighbours fence!
Meanwhile..back in the car yard the sales guy said...Oh sorry sir! Didn't you know? We dont sell wheel nuts to put on your tyres ...thats a seperate purchase! ...Say what? ...this is an analogy for my experience and countless others of a GUITAR STRAP. Its great to have a guitar strap...it holds the weight of your guitar as an extension of your body...but bingo! there it goes ...your prized guitar coming crashing down off the strap and onto the hard floor...

I would of thought that if your going to sell a guitar strap...you need to supply it with STRAP LOCKS! ....cause I just dropped my guitar on the marble floor and it was a bad experience after spending my hard earned cash on buying a good instrument. I might add that this wonderful site should mention this fact to the beginner....in fact I never heard of a strap lock before ...only thanks to the internet did i discover how important it was when selecting your strap in the guitar shop. Anybody experience this problem? Check those wheel nuts on your car next time you part with your money huh.
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
01/18/2013 4:34 pm
Sorry to hear that...

It's not just the strap locks you need to be worried about, you also need to check on how secure the screws are that hold those strap nubs as well. I purchased a brand new Epiphone Les Paul that came WITH strap locks. I thought I was good to go only to have one of the strap nubs slip out. What I did to fix the stripped out screw was to glue in some tooth picks, then re-screw the strap nub.

I was lucky that it didn't bang on the ground or anything.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/20/2013 1:02 pm
I've never had the need for strap locks, but I sure like to have them on, anyway. I have a couple of guitars that don't, and they make me paranoid.

I use Schaller, never tried the others. And immediately replace the supplied screws with a heavier and longer screw.

Sorry to hear about the drop to the marble (of all floors!). I can sense the rage in the post. I would have been livid for days. :p
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
amx05462
amx05462
01/26/2013 4:15 pm
ive had over 40 guitars each with there own strap and never ever had one fallout of the strap and hit the floor. i must be lucky.. one did come with strap locks which i took right off because they were a pain in the neck.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.