I'm looking for advice

linda p
linda p
11/21/2012 2:09 am
Hi I'm LP have been playing now for about 2 months with GT,this place is amazing.....So where were you guys in the 60's? Ok my question is simply this how long should one stay with a song or lessons.I'm finding my interest leaves if I only practice say the picking tech,so I move on to another area an then go back to the picking.If that doesn't do it I'll pick one of the songs that's offered an work on that.I guess what I'm asking is "Should I complete one entire lesson before I move on to some other area".Am I just spinning my wheels jumping all over the place.I do go back an complete the 1A or !B an ect. So I feel like I'm doing it right.....How do you practice an complete your lessons?
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
11/21/2012 2:26 am
Hi Linda,

I think your approach is common, it sounds like you're excited about playing and you want to learn as much as you can. I don't think it's a problem early on to jump around and get a taste for a variety knowledge. But remember that it takes consistent practice to be good at one particular skill.

It wouldn't hurt to have a combination: jump around and see what keeps you interested, but also set aside time to focus on one subject or course. Maybe you want to complete the first chapter of Guitar Fundamentals, for example?

Hope this helps! have fun!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
linda p
linda p
11/21/2012 3:23 pm
I couldn't agree with you more so now I feel like I'm on the right track.I don't know if GT tracks any of the students that are on your site but I'm sticking with Lisa,she is amazing.I'm done with 1A !B in her picking style an I go back an review everyday.But changing it up from her picking style to her strumming, to a song ,rotating all thoses things keeps me from being bored.I feel better now thanks for the feedback.Now let's rock on ......
# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/22/2012 4:23 am
Originally Posted by: linda p...rotating all thoses things keeps me from being bored...

This might be a key point. Depending how much time you can devote to daily practice a wide approach during practice might work well...it does for me. I'm working on both Country and Blues lessons along with time devoted to warm-up/review, scale and chord practice, stretching/flexibility/strength exercises and songs. This wide variety keeps me from getting bored. And there's always something that goes well that keeps me motivated.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4
Neal Walter
Neal Walter
11/29/2012 2:41 am
Lisa is awesome, sounds like a good fit...YaY!

I agree, let's Rock On! \,,/,
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 5
madricucho
madricucho
12/01/2012 11:33 am
Originally Posted by: john of MTThis might be a key point. Depending how much time you can devote to daily practice a wide approach during practice might work well...it does for me. I'm working on both Country and Blues lessons along with time devoted to warm-up/review, scale and chord practice, stretching/flexibility/strength exercises and songs. This wide variety keeps me from getting bored. And there's always something that goes well that keeps me motivated.

LP / John thanks for sharing your many source of motivation ... I think that learning is a process and having fun with it's even better !
Be kind to all living things
# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/01/2012 9:40 pm
You're welcome. IMO, it's important to have fun during practice sessions.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.