The relationship between record companies and radio stations,mtv,the grammies,etc

kingdavid
kingdavid
04/09/2002 10:54 am
Someone,in a discussion about how dollarcentrcism(don't look it up,it's not in the dictionary,but youknow what it means)has affected how record companies give kickbacks to radio stations,e.t.c,and the bottom line is that good original bands dont get airtime.
If you'll oblige me,I'd like to hear more stuff like this.How these things are inter-related.Anything you might know.Tell me,tell us.Links to articles,articles,anything that relates to how this industry works.How,for instance,distributors and show promoters come in to the picture(and please don't tell me they respectively distribute and promote shows).
If whatever you have is,in your opinion,too lare to post here,email me.
Either way,I'll appreciate.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/09/2002 9:06 pm
In the late 1950's or early '60s there was a BIG scandal in the USA about record distributors paying DJ's for airtime. The word payola still carries enough emotional freight that a Canadian band called The Payolas couldn't get bookings in the US.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/10/2002 7:31 am
I hav ejust the link for you. It is a really interesting look at the whole idea of "youth culture" at the moment, and it has some interesting observations about the music industry.
The link is: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 3
Blaksmith
Blaksmith
04/10/2002 12:03 pm
I have been around radio for some 20 years. Payola, as we know it, does not exist. Let me explain. Money is no longer exchanged for air-play of a song. It used to happen that cash was given to popular jocks on hot stations for a song to be give more spins. Alan Freed was the guy that was busted for this on behalf of the radio/record industries.

There are parties, promo stuff and in some cases bigger event tickets that are given to radio stations and talk is generated by underpayed, excited jocks going on a trip to some other city to see a show. It is still there, just in a different and more guarded form. Now, look at the way 4 companies control virtually all the radio in the U.S. With this kind of power, these comapnies can say ( in a market they dominate ) if you don't give me the interview and presents on a show, we will pull all of your label's stuff. Not in just one market, but many of them. The tables have turned. This is a VERY short explanation. This is the kind of leverage that helps the stations get their way.

As far as ' The Payola$ ' as they were known. I really don't believe that it was a fear of stigma that prevented bookings. Canadian artists, until recently, have had a tough go in markets in the U.S. They have enjoyed success in other countries but the U.S. market has been tough to crack. The primary reason is the shear number of acts getting promoted on a daily basis in the U.S. Why would a record company introduce a foreign artist if they feel they have a bigger investment at home? Bob Rock and Paul Hyde had a great band. It should have gone further. The time was simply not right. Had they come along a little later, perhaps they would have had a better shot. I spoke with a Program Director in Florida in '97 about Barenaked Ladies. I asked why he did not play them on ' The Point '. I was told " They don't test well. " This was when 'Gordon' was HUGE in Canada. Now, 'One Week' is selling Toyotas to 20 somethings and the back catalogue from the boys is selling like crazy. As I write this, ' If I had a Million Dollars' is playing on the ' Today Show '.

:D

# 4
kingdavid
kingdavid
04/10/2002 1:27 pm
Blacksmith,I get the feeling you know what you're talking about.How about giving the long explanation?If like I said you feel it's too long to post here,e-mail me.If it's too long to fit into my current mailbox with all the stuff in it,I'll open a new account.:)
What do you know about how radio stations and ASCAP/BMI relate?Being the conspiracy theorist that I am,this is what I'm thinking;since radio stations are supposed to pay royalties to the labels(they'd tell you it's for the artists),wouldn't a huge radio network(these kind of networks,syndications,where one entity controls,like,80-90% of the radio stations in a country,don'r exist in Kenya,and I think,much of Africa)which would end up paying loads of cash to a label or a consortium of labels with many of their artists doing stuff give more air play to whoever in return for reduced royalties?That kind of thing?if this can't happen,why not?
I believe the kind of info I'm looking for can be found maybe even in the archives of media houses and so on.If you have it,let me know.
# 5
Blaksmith
Blaksmith
04/11/2002 4:19 am
kingdavid,

As you wish. I have passed a longer explanation via your yahoo address. I ask you to direct anyone wishing a copy, to me, at the address that you receive.

Hope it helps a little.

Knowledge is power. Don't learn the TRICKS of the trade, learn the trade.
# 6
kingdavid
kingdavid
04/11/2002 5:18 pm
Originally posted by Blaksmith
kingdavid,

...Knowledge is power. Don't learn the TRICKS of the trade, learn the trade.

Ahem.
It helps.A lot.And you're right about this;that it's one thing to like something you hear on radio,but it's another thing all together to go out and buy it.Something I would so love to tell local artists,if I had the chance.All they do is release singles that get played on local stations,and that's it.I'm sure the stations tell then,hey,we helping expose you,no way we paying royalties,you should be paying us.And there's no rcord companies in this country,just studio owners trying to be like record companies,and wanting to own your stuff coz you record in their studios.There's virtually no infrastructure.You never going to hear of,say,an entertainement lawyer in this country.Ever watched a Kenyan movie?No?Didn't think so.I can't say the industry here is phucked up.No.It doesn't exist.But hey,Marconi did his job.I'll do mine.
# 7
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
04/11/2002 8:35 pm
hmmmm.... sound like some real money could be made there *takes down mental memo: start record companies in countries that dont have them.... also market idea for a cheese and onion pizza, that when rots, grows eddible mushrooms, so you could buy a cheese and onion pizza on monday, leave it, come back to it on friday, and hey pretso! Chees and onion, with mushrooms pizza*
# 8
atc323
atc323
04/11/2002 9:56 pm
Hi, blacksmith if you could foreward me a copy of the long explaination I'd appreciate it: atchau@hotmail.com

Also here in the US I'd have to say the scariest corporate entity in the radio industry is Clearchannel Communications.. they are the equivalent of a monopoly but no one, at least not the government, has tried to stop them. They have bought out so many stations, and what they don't own completely they own a part of. Even XM radio - that satellite radio, they own parts of it and advertise for it on their broadcast stations. To me it's personal, I blame clearchannel for all the crap on the radio these days.. ever since they bought out the local station I used to listen to there hasn't been anything decent on the radio.
# 9
Blaksmith
Blaksmith
04/12/2002 1:41 am
educatedfilm: It's been done, just call Domino's.

kingdavid, if you would like to speak more about the industry in Kenya, email me. You have the address.

Don't learn the TRICKS of the trade, learn the trade.

# 10
Blaksmith
Blaksmith
04/12/2002 1:52 am
Wanna fire me over your email address, S.V.P.?

hdigearpig@hotmail.com

Thanks!
# 11
SRVLIVES
SRVLIVES
04/12/2002 2:02 am
An Australian band called 'Shihad' had to change their name for their American tour 'cos it was too close to 'jihad'

They've had this name before anyone ever heard of Al Cheda!

Just shows what record companies think sells...
# 12
kingdavid
kingdavid
04/12/2002 8:03 am
Blacksmith,what I'd like to do is hold you in a secluded room for like three weeks and do nothing but talk.:D
I will e-mail you.About a whulatta things.
And anyone else who has ideas about doing this commercially might gain from talking to Blacksmith(uhm,Blacksmith,do you have a pr guy.We could talk about it,you know,uhm.....:D)
Even if you're not interested in going commercial(yes,going commercial.Using your musical abilities to earn a living,that's what I mean.Is it wrong?),it would help to know how these things work.Just so you know.You know pluto is farther than jupiter.How does it help your life?But you know.
# 13
Blaksmith
Blaksmith
04/16/2002 4:55 am
You know, sometimes the record company can make sense. I am not a U.S. citizen but I sure do feel the pain from September. In this case, I believe the right decision was made. You won't sell tickets to a show if the memory of a cowardly act is sparked by something as simple as a band name. It's only my opinion but for a chance to make it in the U.S. market, a band name seems like a very small price to pay.

God bless America. It ain't about politics, it's about people being free to make choices. To work, to raise a family, to learn, to love, to understand other cultures and to try to live in harmony.

Again, it's only an opinion.

Blaksmith
# 14
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
04/16/2002 3:13 pm
even more so for actors and shows...
imho of course.
regards,
daniel
# 15
Blaksmith
Blaksmith
04/17/2002 12:21 am
I guess I am not the only one with the same opinion. People getting all dolled up to receive a paper weight to recognise entertainment talent ought to get back in touch with the real world.
# 16
kingdavid
kingdavid
04/20/2002 9:15 pm
Blacksmith,a forum is about expressing opinions.That's why it's called a forum,as opposed to,say,a lecture.They are your opinions.And they're not baseless.You shouldn't have to apologise for it.
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.