View post (The relationship between record companies and radio stations,mtv,the grammies,etc)

View thread

Blaksmith
Blaksmith
04/10/2002 12:03 pm
I have been around radio for some 20 years. Payola, as we know it, does not exist. Let me explain. Money is no longer exchanged for air-play of a song. It used to happen that cash was given to popular jocks on hot stations for a song to be give more spins. Alan Freed was the guy that was busted for this on behalf of the radio/record industries.

There are parties, promo stuff and in some cases bigger event tickets that are given to radio stations and talk is generated by underpayed, excited jocks going on a trip to some other city to see a show. It is still there, just in a different and more guarded form. Now, look at the way 4 companies control virtually all the radio in the U.S. With this kind of power, these comapnies can say ( in a market they dominate ) if you don't give me the interview and presents on a show, we will pull all of your label's stuff. Not in just one market, but many of them. The tables have turned. This is a VERY short explanation. This is the kind of leverage that helps the stations get their way.

As far as ' The Payola$ ' as they were known. I really don't believe that it was a fear of stigma that prevented bookings. Canadian artists, until recently, have had a tough go in markets in the U.S. They have enjoyed success in other countries but the U.S. market has been tough to crack. The primary reason is the shear number of acts getting promoted on a daily basis in the U.S. Why would a record company introduce a foreign artist if they feel they have a bigger investment at home? Bob Rock and Paul Hyde had a great band. It should have gone further. The time was simply not right. Had they come along a little later, perhaps they would have had a better shot. I spoke with a Program Director in Florida in '97 about Barenaked Ladies. I asked why he did not play them on ' The Point '. I was told " They don't test well. " This was when 'Gordon' was HUGE in Canada. Now, 'One Week' is selling Toyotas to 20 somethings and the back catalogue from the boys is selling like crazy. As I write this, ' If I had a Million Dollars' is playing on the ' Today Show '.

:D