The Crap music churned otu by todays rock industry

arti_scan
arti_scan
03/07/2002 7:57 pm
Yes peeps

Whos noticed that the crap churned out by todays metal and rock industry has nothing on the legends that have influenced everyone of todays world.Look at all da classic metal bands def Leppard, Deep Purple, Metallica, Faith No More,Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses, Led Zepplin and other less metal artists such as Clapton, Hendrix etc all these groups/artists have such much talent and today , we see wanna b legends playing crap with no talnent between them ie all the nu metal crap thats hit the scenes. It is a rare event when we see bands filled with lots of talent these days, examples wwould b Dreamtheater, Rage, Deftones, Korn (despite me slanging off nu metal, they are the one good thing to come out of it). I fu could continue this and point other great bands, please do.
Arti
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/07/2002 9:08 pm
Bumblefoot, me...
# 2
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/07/2002 10:53 pm
Since when are Guns N' Roses metal?

And you forgot Creed when mentioning the **** bands.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/08/2002 1:01 am
All of this is of course my own opinion:

Rocking it Right:
Gov't Mule, Incubus, Primus (anything with Claypool actually), Clutch, Alice in Chains (hopefully they'll do something soon), Scissorfight, Karma to Burn, Stone Temple Pilots, Symphony X, Tomohawk, and countless bands eeking out a living in clubs and bars all around the world.

Rocking it Wrong:
Korn (they had ONE good album and have since toddled off into a meaningless never-never land), The Perpetual Hype Machine, (you'd have to be on Clutch's message board to know just why these guys suck so), Slipknot ("we're just as good as Linkin Park and we're gonna prove it on this new album" -Their Bassist (paraphrazed)), Godsmack (HEY! Let's steal another riff!), 311, Lifehouse ("let's rip of Creed ripping off Pearl Jam!"), and countless other bands that I can't even remember the names of because they bore me so.

But what get's me is this incessant bitching I hear lately: "This new stuff sucks, I want [insert decade here] back!" Really, if you can't find something new and interesting it's due to your own laziness. There is awesome music everywhere for those with a little ambition to find. What's worse is these guys (I lump myself in here) are dying for support from the public. Getting people to come out to a club is all but impossible unless you're a "big" name. My point here is that if you don't like the way things are, DO something. Go look around your local scene, go start a kickass band, don't just stand there and complain. Complaining is for Papa Roach.

Don't agree? I could use a good argument.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
03/08/2002 4:19 am
if you don't like it, make a cd that's better than all that **** and sell it.
# 5
arti_scan
arti_scan
03/08/2002 5:17 pm
Raskolnikov

u make a good argument, but u still have to admit that despite there being good bands out there a lot of them have nothing on the original masters!!i am in a band, and my intentios are to do something a little less than normal, but that can only come with talent, and in the meantime i will still respect the legends more than todays crap churned out by musicians trying to cahs in and as a result making **** music.plus im not to lazy to go out n look for music, i spend my life in cd shops, its just there is little to offer my needs.
Arti
# 6
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
03/08/2002 6:00 pm
DONT YOU EVER EVER EVER SAY THAT DEEP PURPLE IS A METAL BAND!!!!!!
by saying that you are insulting me, ian gillan and any other man on this planet that is somehow related to this great band. Theres a huge difference between metal and hard rock and deep purple maybe tried to play metal during "we are back and suck" years , yet they are hard rock band with a slight progressive touch.. not metal.
the same about zeppelin..

now for the topic itself: most of the people who like 70's and 80's like me dont like most of today music because back then we had one thing we dont have today in the mainstream rock: Im talking about lead guitar. most of the bands today dont build their music with a good lead player as a base and i guess many people like me miss it...
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 7
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
03/09/2002 12:23 am
Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin were the originators. Metal music evolved from their styles along with other band liek Black Sabbath.

anyway, i agree totally about today's music. i believe that most of the music today is crap. i will admit though that there are some good bands out there but in general, they are lesser known or hard to find.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/09/2002 5:09 am
There's allways been a lot of crap and a few excellant performers. It will allways be that way too.

Many of today's artists will only be appreciated in time I'm afraid.

As for searching for new music; I ment the clubs.
Though it's difficult to get booked playing your own stuff. Why?

No demand.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
03/09/2002 5:31 am
exactly. nobody *knows* who you are or if your songs are any good. i guess you just have to work the free concerts in the parks and stuff long enough before people will have an interest in you. if i was a little better and had an acoustic guitar i would actually busk just for the practice.
-Daniel
# 10
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
03/11/2002 12:12 am
I've said this before, and i will say it again... there are no graeet eras ... i mean there is the odd year here and there where 2 or 3 great albums are released.. but on the whole, there is a lot of crap taht doesn't stand the test of time... I agree with Rask here, there are bands now that will not be apreciated untill poeple stop asciating them with the main stream.. I'm thinking of some of my favourite groups/ artists what ever... and for me there was no real era,
Mark my words, 10 years down the line poeple will not be remembering much of papa roach, however iron maidens memory will still be around (and they've already been round for more than 2 decades)... i mean how many of us can honestly name a song other than "vidoe killer the radio star" by the buggles?
The difference now is that there are more poeple wanting to break into the music scene, and record companies are becoming more and more effieceint, and know their goals... which means that some influentail artist might not get through as they may not sell much...
I say listen to the music you like... i mean i look for music... If i hear something i like I'll get more, (yes that includes kenny rogers).. You also need to give some music a chance... alot of stuff i like now i didn't like when i first heard it...
If you want to really affect the market, simply change the channel, boycot the magazines etc etc... but there is no point in watching mtv2 during the day when they play most of their glossy, well packaged products... I mean if your passionate about your music stay up and watch the alternative stuff... and LISTEN TO OTHER GENRES!! i cannot emphasise this enough...
# 11
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
03/11/2002 10:26 am
Who cares about the crap being churned out!! Its only pop music bought by the young and niave!!
I still buy classic ablums, last aerosmith, gilby clarke etc. plus old classics like 1984, number of the beast, elimanator, who made who.... etc.!!
When you guys gona realise theres enuff awesome music out there to keep us happy till the new rock n roll comes out... intelligent rock!! Guns n Roses will start it by the way!! the new gnr album will be the most successful album of all time. every ex- guns fan and every young kid who see's them for the first time will buy the album!! Its gona be awesome. Am 19 and never witnessed all the the fads and changes through time but am proud to say i'll witness the most influencial album being released!!

later torby
# 12
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
03/12/2002 7:41 pm

If the new GnR album sells more than a few hundred thousand copies, I'll be really surprised.

The bottom line is that no one cares any more.

# 13
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
03/12/2002 8:12 pm
For those who 'want the last decades back' i got one thing to say: the times have moved on and when u try to re-capture the past by briging back old bands it always sucks, so give it the **** up!

Second of all, the thing that dissapoints me is the lack of solos in metal today...thats not to say the guitarits are crap...look at Adam Jones from Tool, the irregular timings he can do and the way he backs up the attitude of the lyrics with the power chords have got to be worth something. Bands like tool and System of a down prove that you dont have to have a solo to write a good song.....but i'd still like to see solos come back a bit more.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 14
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/12/2002 10:13 pm
the problem with solos is that if they have no point, don't play them.
Slash always took the song to another level with his solos (check out november rain) as did Van halen in his first LPs...
If playing a solo is playing the fastest licks you know, no wonder people don't play them anymore and don't want to listen to them...
# 15
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/12/2002 11:20 pm
Originally posted by Axl_Rose
Who cares about the crap being churned out!! Its only pop music bought by the young and niave!!
I still buy classic ablums, last aerosmith, gilby clarke etc. plus old classics like 1984, number of the beast, elimanator, who made who.... etc.!!
When you guys gona realise theres enuff awesome music out there to keep us happy till the new rock n roll comes out... intelligent rock!! Guns n Roses will start it by the way!! the new gnr album will be the most successful album of all time. every ex- guns fan and every young kid who see's them for the first time will buy the album!! Its gona be awesome. Am 19 and never witnessed all the the fads and changes through time but am proud to say i'll witness the most influencial album being released!!

later torby

Yay, Gilby! ****in' legend is he - pity I can't find any of his abums here.

And Christoph - The new GnR will sell millions, with the amount of money that the record company have invested in it, it would be pretty silly not to push it. It will be well advertised and it may just be the album that brings rock back to the fore. All we need now is a release date, last I heard was end of this year but I reckon a summer release is more likely - if ever.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 16
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/12/2002 11:56 pm
I don't know if it will bring rock back, since I've heard that Axl has gone a little on the techno side... Buckethead likes it too, so maybe they are going to make a 'Crystal Planet 2'?
# 17
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/13/2002 12:06 am
No, it's Axl, and Axl will alwyas go back to rock.

www.gnr.com.ar
# 18
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
03/13/2002 12:16 am
heheh... just imagining the fashion dissasters when poeple start to wear the bandanas again... and the sleve less denim jackets *cringes*... oh dear... and those god awful cheesy hair doos...
I love the intro to sweet child of mine...because of the little baseline bit just before the rythem guitar kicks in... but how it's butchered by cheese and by axels voice is unforgivable.. (i'm gonna have to do an acoustic rendition, minus the cheese, and some real feeling in the singing heheh lol)
# 19
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
03/13/2002 12:25 am
am i the only one who cannot get past the cheese?
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.