Pedal Boards.

EASDave
EASDave
07/19/2010 4:59 pm
I have decided to go in the opposite direction to Rick in the previous thread (except for the trading in bit).

I was contemplating a board with builtin power supply but then remembered my luck with power supplies (externel hard drive, iipod dock, etc) I decided it would be a mistake.

Any comments/suggestions?

Anything that involves DIY will not help. My abilities in that direction extend to hanging a picture on the wall (on a good day!)

Dave.
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/19/2010 6:25 pm
I'm also on the pedal train (haha). I checked on the price of powered pedal boards, and they ran very expensive. Couple hundred+ at least at Long & McQuade where I was looking.

A non-powered pedal board is simply a metal frame with velcro on it. Cheap versions I saw for $80 are this, plus a bag to carry it in. More expensive versions are like a suitcase sort of thing. Still basically a structure with velcro, but has a hard case that fits over it. Kind of like an upside down suitcase. These were close to $200.

I'm opting to build a "suitcase" version like that, cause that's what I like to do.

For power, I will be using a Dunlop DC Brick. I recently purchased one and it's just great. 7x 9v outputs + 3x 18v. It protects the pedals with a steady power supply protected from spikes, and will shut down if a pedal shorts out. This cost me $135 CDN, and I don't regret it. It has eliminated my wall warts (adapters), tidied things up nicely, and I don't have to add the cost of non-supplied adapters to any new pedals I buy.

If you don't mind dealing with all those wall warts you could opt for a good powerstrip for maybe $30.

If you go that way, you could get the pedalboard + powerstrip and total out around $100?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
07/19/2010 7:46 pm
I want to make it clear... I still have all but 1 pedal... Had to give up my RC-2... But that's ok. I didn't need it anymore. :D
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 3
EASDave
EASDave
07/23/2010 4:53 pm
Sorry Rick, I should have said something like "what Rick originally proposed to do".
Come to think of it, the "in the previous thread" was a bit daft too as the order keeps changing with each update!

Razbo, thanks for laying out my options so succinctly.
I think I'll go with 'The Brick' route as tidy is worth more than cheap with my wife! (that's why I went with the pedal board in a case idea in the first place).
As far as cost is concerned, don't forget I'm in England so you need a pound sign in front rather than a dollar probably with out adjusting the numeric value even though there should be a 1.5 conversion!

So, now all I've got to do is decide on which pedals to get to go with my Brick and my Polytune.

Dave.
# 4
EASDave
EASDave
07/31/2010 3:56 pm
I have now looked at the vast array of stomp boxes around and the great difference in their prices and realised I'll have to go out and try several of each category before I make a decision.
This would be no problem except I've got a broken leg and can't drive anywhere.
So, since I've still got the urge to spend money, I think I'll upgrade my ME50 to something a bit more upmarket.
As far as I can see, the contenders are: Boss GT10. Line 6 M13, Digitech RP1000, Vox Tonelab ST and TC Electronic Nova System.
So, guys, wwhat are the Pros and Cons do you think.???

Dave.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.