Looking for advise on new amp

dougjt
dougjt
04/30/2010 2:31 am
I had bought a ibanez g10 and a 15 watt peavey modeling amp about 2 years ago and decided I was going to learn to play guitar. Well needless to say I got hooked big time and have out grown my setup. Personally I love my guitar I sounds pretty good and stays in tune but I can never get the tone i want out of my amp and it doesn't play backing tracks.
I have learned using this site outside of some occasional live lessons at my music store to keep me in the right direction. My level I would say is a bit beyond absolute beginner ish and my style is ? well don't really have one yet. I like anything from bluesy southern rock, Classic Rock to metal and everything in between.
My goal is to if I can, is to either stream from my puter or load some of the backing tracks off this site into an amp so I can play along with the lessons. I have done some homework and looked at a few amps mainly the peavey's and line6 it seems to me peavey is probably better. Buget is low less than 500, But it is strictly for practice at home and I have to keep it down a bit for my neighbors sake.
Thanks,
Doug
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/30/2010 5:39 am
Much as I love my old tube amps, I have to admit that they don't work best in a lot of situations these days.

It seems to me that you are satisfied with modelling setups, but that you want better quality of sound.

I suggest taking a close look at the POD lineup. You can use a small stereo system or some high quality computer speakers for playback, or real-time monitors.

When you're ready for some vintage tube amps that can rearrange your furniture, we can talk. :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
dougjt
dougjt
04/30/2010 7:20 am
Line 6 Spider Jam 75W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp

Been looking at this one, might be a bit much, hmm decisions decisions .

I have a decent stereo system in the house but I play in the "Man cave" which is not in the house and computer speakers are terrible
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
04/30/2010 11:58 am
Originally Posted by: dougjtLine 6 Spider Jam 75W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp

Been looking at this one, might be a bit much, hmm decisions decisions .

I have a decent stereo system in the house but I play in the "Man cave" which is not in the house and computer speakers are terrible

75w will be nice and loud. The Fender G-Dec is also a hot item these days. Lots of "Pro" endorsements, etc.

As far as improving sound in Manland, it can get pretty expensive getting good sound from a PC. [Edit: Really good PC speakers or monitors run big bucks. As an inexpensive option...] I run my PC card's Line Out into a stereo amp.

It took me a while to find an amp that is non-X.1 (just stereo - because that's how music is recorded, but that restriction is optional). I hooked a couple 60w speakers to it, and it rivals the house stereo. It got me the best sound at far less cost than any other method I have tried or considered.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
dougjt
dougjt
05/01/2010 2:04 am
Thanks for Info. I looked a bit online at POD stuff as Lordathestrings suggested It Seems to me If I pick Up just a decent amp and with a speaker and used a POD I might get more Bang for My buck.
But on the other hand My music store will give me 100% credit on any modeling amp I buy towards a new one if I bring it back within a year. I could Play them all I guess this way and not get wrapped up in to much $..
I'm a compulsive shopper so tomorrow I go buy something lol.
# 5
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
05/01/2010 10:54 pm
I bought a second hand Line 6 spider - superb
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 6
dougjt
dougjt
05/02/2010 2:17 am
Originally Posted by: GramboI bought a second hand Line 6 spider - superb

Ya I just picked up the one I mentioned above a couple hours ago so far I really like it. It was the recording and jam track features I was looking for to help me get better plus it has analog outs for recording. I'll get a real setup after I get my timing and scale work improved. Thanks again for the input.
# 7
Jays.traas
Jays.traas
05/08/2010 8:44 am
You can buy the most expensive setup out there, but if your guitar isn't up to the task you won't be able to get the tone you want.

Maybe you'll be happier with your current setup, but (and I have no experience with the g10) from my experience entry level Ibanez guitars just don't cut it. The rhythm guitarist in my band has an Ibanez Gio and it doesn't compare to the sound I get from my Hohner JT60 (old guitar, I customized it..)
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.