Squier ....Junk?

unclesonny
unclesonny
02/27/2010 1:20 pm
46 years old and have been dying to learn how to play forever. I received a Fender Squier ( signed by John Mellencamp believe it or not ) as a gift from my brother and bought a Peavy 15 watt vyper modulating amp to practice with ( used for $70) I promised myself that I wouldn't invest any more loot on equipment until I could actually play. Ive been on guitar tricks for 2 months now and am just continuing with the fundamentals course. ( Your great Chris) What I do see when I venture off to other forums or you tube is that everybody calls the squire a piece of junk and not worth 2 cents. My question is is the equipment that I have good enough for me to get rolling and to see if I will stick to this and actually get good. I think it is. Also when I do move up in equipment what would be a good piece to look at. I dont mind something used but I also dont have a huge amout of cash to dump either.
Thanks in advance for any input!
# 1
porkchop1963
porkchop1963
02/27/2010 3:33 pm
The new Squiers are actually becoming better built than the older ones.Im saying from 98 and up.It wouldnt hurt to go and check others out and if you do go to a real music store not like Guitar center and such places.Talk with people playing or who ever is behind the counter...use your experience to see if they are real or not.The amp you have is perfect for your situation but I think you can find a better Squier to make your really come alive...the vintage modified or the deluxe series.They have different pickups mostly Seymour Duncan pickups.The site will help you understand your guitar better and make you go into the direction of what type of music you want to play...I hope this will help you.
# 2
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/27/2010 3:57 pm
Squire strats are actually good guitars.....they don't receive the same QC as the american strats but you can't beat the price.......
Doug
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/27/2010 7:53 pm
Who ever told you Squer is junk is a Dickhead. You have a nice guitar. Get it set up by a pro and it will rival anything out there. SAID! YEAH! ;)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
jazzn01
jazzn01
02/27/2010 8:25 pm
AttaBoy Razbo!! :D
# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/28/2010 12:02 am
Originally Posted by: unclesonny46 years old and have been dying to learn how to play forever. I received a Fender Squier ( signed by John Mellencamp believe it or not ) as a gift from my brother and bought a Peavy 15 watt vyper modulating amp to practice with ( used for $70) I promised myself that I wouldn't invest any more loot on equipment until I could actually play. Ive been on guitar tricks for 2 months now and am just continuing with the fundamentals course. ( Your great Chris) What I do see when I venture off to other forums or you tube is that everybody calls the squire a piece of junk and not worth 2 cents. My question is is the equipment that I have good enough for me to get rolling and to see if I will stick to this and actually get good. I think it is. Also when I do move up in equipment what would be a good piece to look at. I dont mind something used but I also dont have a huge amout of cash to dump either.
Thanks in advance for any input!

First, if it works for you, it simply doesn't matter what it is.

Versus when I started, getting a great, reasonably priced guitar like a Squier didn't exist. You had bad knock offs and that was it. People on the internet can be jerks because the can.

Also, you've been introduced to something that seems to fester up in guitar players more often than it should: The 'I'm Cooler than You Syndrome'.

It is pervasive and annoying. I've mention the joke; how many guitar players does it take to screw in a lightbulb? (answer: 10. One to screw it in and 9 to say they could do better and faster). This is who you are seeing out there.

Whatever it is that poisons the mind of some when they pick up the instrument, I'll never understand but it happens. Remember, it is they that have the flaw not you or your instrument.

The only thing you need to ask yourself is; am I enjoying playing and learning on this instrument? Is so, deal done.

To be honest, I think it's a different vibe here at GT because you have great experienced instructors that come around the board when they can and be supportive of the folks wanting to learn. That goes a long way in setting the tone. I also think many of the core posters here from all the experience levels enjoy that vibe too and stay around because of it.
# 6
electric circus
electric circus
02/28/2010 2:24 am
ok theres different levels of squire guitars.
if your just getting started then use what you have until you feel like
you want to continue with playing. its my opinion that better equipment
will encourage you to play more often.
why? because you like what you have and you will want to spend more time enjoying your investment.

that being said lets get back to you.
now, work with what you have. the above post that suggested that you have a pro set the guitar up for you isnt a bad idea.
there might be something off just a bit that could use a little work
to make the guitar more playable.
if your going off others word but like what you have, dont fret.
ok if you compare a squire to a paul, yeah the squire will get the thumbs down. i'll take a squire any day and make it better. add pickups, add a floyd, some locking tunes, whatever i might want or have on hand at the time.
i use to buy cheaper guitars and build on them and have turned out some really nice guitars. stuff i felt comfortable leaving the house with to gig at the local dive. who cares what people think as long as its serving your needs right now? as your needs and tastes change so will your equipment.

i use to set up for a country group yrs ago. the guitar player had
several nice guitars to choose from. strats, tele's, and a couple of pauls.
the only freakin guitar i wasnt allowed to touch, or anybody for that matter,
was this old pos KAY guitar. im serious. a freaking sears guitar at best.
thing is, he reworked it and it was his fav. it felt good to him and sounded exactly the way he wanted it to. his other guitars were high dollar. that sears Kay guitar he probably had $200 in. you see what im getting at here?
another 80s metal fan.
# 7
dyobbi
dyobbi
02/28/2010 6:07 pm
It's not about the bike, I mean, it's not about the equipment.

Ever heard of Jack White of the White Stripes? He plays with stripped down equipment and his tone is unbelieveable. What you're hearing is him.

Most of the legendary guitar heroes started with junk, and that didn't stifle their learning. In fact, it helped them because it made them more resourceful.

Take any guitar, plug it into any amp and play. Repeat.
# 8
unclesonny
unclesonny
03/01/2010 2:55 am
Coolest bunch of people are on this site. Thank you so much for the feedback about my equipment. I kinda knew the answer but just needed to hear from people who know what their talking about. I love my squier and will continue to practice.
# 9
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
03/01/2010 5:03 am
That rig is fine for you to start with. A more expensive instrument only becomes necessary when you have pulled every ounce of sound from your current one.

Most low end (price wise) guitars are actually made by Samick not the company they are tagged with and Fender Squire is one of them. MY first electric guitar was a Samick Malibu 2. Yeah I only spent 120 bucks on it but you know what? It came with Grover Tuners and it plays awesome, I still pick it up sometimes.

As I stated above there is absolutely no reason to fork out a bunch of cash on a rig that to be perfectly honest at the beginner level you will not be using to it's fullest potential. Not to say that if you have the means pass it up, by all means buy a nice rig if that is what you want but do not feel pressured that you must have one right now to play better.
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
# 10
unclesonny
unclesonny
03/01/2010 8:56 pm
Thanks guys for the positive feedback. Not only is my squier fine to get me going but it has sentimental value. It was a gift from my brother and it's signed by John Mellencamp. I'm such a beginner and I was just looking for some input on my gear. To be quite honest Even if it was a total piece of junk it still will serve it's purpose in getting me started playing guitar. For many years I've wanted to learn and now I'm doing it. One step at a time. To me nothing is cooler than making that axe hum. Thanks for the support to everybody.
# 11
compart1
compart1
03/01/2010 9:40 pm
Hey unclesonny.. Welcome to GT..
I'm glad you got some good feed back.. It sure would have been nice if we had something like this years ago.
# 12
electric circus
electric circus
03/01/2010 9:50 pm
amen to that one.
another 80s metal fan.
# 13
Otto Ray Sing
Otto Ray Sing
03/02/2010 8:03 am
I'm an old fogey that's got you beat by ten years, and I'm also just picking up the guitar with real intent. You are incredibly fortunate to have a guitar signed by John Mellencamp. He's a really cool man that cares about others. You've obviously got a great brother too. That guitar will never be junk. It's something that will get passed down through your family, and will be very special to them.

As one beginner to another-someday we'll make beautiful music, if we keep practicing. So far when I pick up the guitar, everybody suddenly remembers all of the errands they forgot to run. Which reminds me, it's time to clear out the house. LOL
We grow too soon old, and too late smart.
# 14
GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
03/04/2010 4:12 am
I started with nearly the same equipment unclesonny, a Squier Black and Chrome Standard Stratocaster and a Peavy Vyper 15w modeling amp. After finishing the fundamental courses, I got it set up professionally, and it played even better. Anyway, I'll look anyone in the eye and say that for the money you cannot beat a Squier. I thought I'd get something a little bit better than a wal-mart toy when I ordered this thing. I got a VERY well made guitar that I firmly believe is worth much more than the 200 I paid.

Razbo is right, there are alot of folks out there that are gear snobs. If you don't lay down 1000 for an American Standard and have a marshall full stack then it is somehow a cheap toy. Kinda like folks in a Ferrarri 420 saying a Corvette isn't a real sports car because it isn't Italian. Hogwash.

BTW, when you get to the point you want to fiddle around with effects, I recommend a BOSS Overdrive/Distortion Pedal. It sounds fantastic with my Squier/Peavy set up.
# 15
unclesonny
unclesonny
03/04/2010 11:37 am
Thanks Geezer. I got some time before I can make this thing hum but I'm getting there. My fingers and my brain don't jive right now.
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.