View post (Squier ....Junk?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
02/28/2010 12:02 am
Originally Posted by: unclesonny46 years old and have been dying to learn how to play forever. I received a Fender Squier ( signed by John Mellencamp believe it or not ) as a gift from my brother and bought a Peavy 15 watt vyper modulating amp to practice with ( used for $70) I promised myself that I wouldn't invest any more loot on equipment until I could actually play. Ive been on guitar tricks for 2 months now and am just continuing with the fundamentals course. ( Your great Chris) What I do see when I venture off to other forums or you tube is that everybody calls the squire a piece of junk and not worth 2 cents. My question is is the equipment that I have good enough for me to get rolling and to see if I will stick to this and actually get good. I think it is. Also when I do move up in equipment what would be a good piece to look at. I dont mind something used but I also dont have a huge amout of cash to dump either.
Thanks in advance for any input!

First, if it works for you, it simply doesn't matter what it is.

Versus when I started, getting a great, reasonably priced guitar like a Squier didn't exist. You had bad knock offs and that was it. People on the internet can be jerks because the can.

Also, you've been introduced to something that seems to fester up in guitar players more often than it should: The 'I'm Cooler than You Syndrome'.

It is pervasive and annoying. I've mention the joke; how many guitar players does it take to screw in a lightbulb? (answer: 10. One to screw it in and 9 to say they could do better and faster). This is who you are seeing out there.

Whatever it is that poisons the mind of some when they pick up the instrument, I'll never understand but it happens. Remember, it is they that have the flaw not you or your instrument.

The only thing you need to ask yourself is; am I enjoying playing and learning on this instrument? Is so, deal done.

To be honest, I think it's a different vibe here at GT because you have great experienced instructors that come around the board when they can and be supportive of the folks wanting to learn. That goes a long way in setting the tone. I also think many of the core posters here from all the experience levels enjoy that vibe too and stay around because of it.