HTML5 iPad Version of Site

swright00
swright00
02/20/2010 2:35 pm
Yes, Steve Jobs in his infinite wisdom decided to omit flash from the iPad in favor of HTML5. I know it's early, but an HTML5 version or iPhone/IPad app for the site would be great. No more lugging around a laptop to the guitar. Just a wish and a suggestion for the future. :D
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
05/20/2010 6:11 pm
Hi swright00,

We noticed this too, it's a corporate battle for techno-territory.
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
bobby_t
Full Access
bobby_t
Full Access
05/20/2010 9:11 pm
I'm not a big Apple fan, but to be fair, this is Steve Jobs comments without the sensationalized version that you get from the media. I think he makes some very good points concerning Adobe Flash.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/
Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.
# 3
crataegus
crataegus
06/16/2010 12:36 pm
Hey, I'm quite new to guitartricks.com and try to refresh my guitar-knowledge ... and the first post in the forum is about computer-stuff ;-)

There is a way to combine the html5-technology with a fallback to flash for every browser that doesn't support direct video. With a simple code the site offers first an ogg-movie (native format for mozilla-variants like firefox) and h.264 video (for Safari, iPad, iPhone, ...) and if a browser doesn't support those formats at all (poor Microsoft's IE), then a flash-version gets displayed.

In my job I'm writing e-Learning media and have very good experience with that. The only "bad" thing about that is, that you have to upload 3 different versions of one video onto the server.

A good description is located here:
http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_everybody

So perhaps the guitartricks programmer-team can decide in future to offer other video-versions, too. I would like to watch some lessons on my iPhone ... for learning outside or just have a quick review in the train on the way to work, ...

Best regards to the complete guitartricks.com team, you're doing a great job!
OLP John Petrucci Signature directly connected to a MacBookPro using Garageband
# 4
kingkay
Full Access
kingkay
Full Access
10/16/2010 1:53 pm
I would Preferenzen an iPhone/iPad App from Guitartricks. :)
--
I'm looking for beginners with an western guitar for guitar talking about Skype or iChat?
# 5
-FlyAuburn-
Full Access
-FlyAuburn-
Full Access
04/01/2011 7:02 pm
Ok. There are millions of iPads and iPhones out there now. I cancelled my Guitar Tricks subscription primarily because I couldn't use the site on those devices. It is WAY past time for Guitar Tricks to convert their videos into H.264/HTML5. Flash is dead for web video. Join the crowd or get left behind. Please please please Guitar Tricks!! I want to renew my subscription but only if you guys do this!!!
# 6
gmh8285
gmh8285
06/07/2011 9:53 am
Agree with Auburn. While it appeared at the beginning of iPad that it was just a corporate squabble to not include flash, it is obvious now that it was a technical decisions, and a good one at that. So now that flash is doomed, why not make the change.

GT: You need to understand that the switching cost for your customers to sign up with JamPlay is essentially zero. The ugly world of capitalism.

This isn't a matter of "gee, wouldn't it be nice to accommodate all those apple users"; it's really a matter of market share and ultimately, survival of GT.
# 7
-FlyAuburn-
Full Access
-FlyAuburn-
Full Access
06/15/2011 12:54 pm
Bump.

We need to keep this going. I'm tired of getting emails from GT asking me to come back.

I'd love to GT, but how's that H.264 conversion coming? That's what I thought....
# 8
Neal Walter
Neal Walter
06/16/2011 5:57 am
you might be surprised ;)
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

# 9
MarkAller
MarkAller
07/18/2011 8:01 pm
Originally Posted by: Neal Walteryou might be surprised ;)

Still waiting to be surprised...
# 10
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/19/2011 12:30 am
Hi all,

The Skyfire Browser WILL encode the videos to HTML5.

It takes about 20 seconds per video, so it's a bit clunky at this point, but it's a step in the right direction.

Meanwhile, stay tuned for further developments....

Best wishes, Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 11
MarkAller
MarkAller
07/19/2011 8:29 pm
Originally Posted by: LisaMcCHi all,

It takes about 20 seconds per video, so it's a bit clunky at this point, but it's a step in the right direction.

Best wishes, Lisa

More info, please. 'You might be surprised' or 'Stay tuned' aren't enough to keep me as a subscriber. I need to use an IPad for my lessons. I've subscribed to the free week of JamPlay. While I like GuitarTricks better, JamPlay is fine and works on my IPad.

For that reason alone, I will have to switch over to JamPlay and cancel my GuitarTricks subscription.

Thank you.
# 12
Neal Walter
Neal Walter
07/19/2011 10:20 pm
Mark,

Our approach has been to work on the lessons first, and the other aspects of the site after. There are a lot of great lessons coming out over the next few months. From your post it sounds like you appreciate what we are doing.

We want to support the iPad but I can't give you an estimate of when that will happen. Skyfire will work, though it isn't a perfect solution. We know you have other options, so if you need to leave for a while and come back when we are done we understand.

Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

# 13
michaeleriley
Full Access
michaeleriley
Full Access
07/25/2011 8:06 am
When I convert the vid using the video icon on the lower left of the browser screen, everything seems to convert and I get the message that my video is ready to play but when I click on it I get nothing.

i'm sure its something simple and i will feel stoooopid when i get the solution, but in the meantime, I'm still unable to view lessons on ipad

many thanks for help
# 14
clarksvol
clarksvol
07/26/2011 1:09 am
The same thing happens to me using skyfire on my iphone.
# 15
rangeshooter
rangeshooter
07/29/2011 1:54 am
Originally Posted by: Neal WalterMark,

Our approach has been to work on the lessons first, and the other aspects of the site after. There are a lot of great lessons coming out over the next few months. From your post it sounds like you appreciate what we are doing.

We want to support the iPad but I can't give you an estimate of when that will happen. Skyfire will work, though it isn't a perfect solution. We know you have other options, so if you need to leave for a while and come back when we are done we understand.

Neal

Wow... So that's your answer to a legitimate question? Basically telling a customer to leave if they don't like it. I clearly made a poor decision in supporting your website; I know, I know, I can leave if I'm not happy..

Disappointing..

BTW, there is such a thing as working on things in parallel.
# 16
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
07/29/2011 8:30 pm
I don't think Neal was being rude at all.

The person who posted previously said he would leave in order to use his iPad though he prefers the lessons here.

Neal said he understood that, and pointed out that we have devoted a lot of resources to making new lessons.

Neal wasn't saying the question wasn't legitimate. The question is legitimate.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 17
rangeshooter
rangeshooter
07/30/2011 12:59 pm
Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickI don't think Neal was being rude at all.

The person who posted previously said he would leave in order to use his iPad though he prefers the lessons here.

Neal said he understood that, and pointed out that we have devoted a lot of resources to making new lessons.

Neal wasn't saying the question wasn't legitimate. The question is legitimate.

To be clear, I never said the question wasn't legitimate. In fact, I'm saying quite the opposite. The intent of my point was that I find it short sighted for a company to basically tell their customer(s) they can go somewhere else if they don't like it.
# 18
michaeleriley
Full Access
michaeleriley
Full Access
07/31/2011 7:52 am
Originally Posted by: clarksvolThe same thing happens to me using skyfire on my iphone.

i just got word back from skyfire. in the browser settings, clear the cookies and use the load page as desktop. it worked perfectly after that.

just in case - on the ipad, the settings icon is in the upper right, shaped like a gear. not sure about the iphone version

good luck
# 19
michaeleriley
Full Access
michaeleriley
Full Access
08/01/2011 2:46 am
Originally Posted by: LisaMcCHi all,

Best wishes, Lisa

I connected with Skyfire support who gave me the following suggestions...

1. choose Load Page as desktop (in settings)
2. clear cookies (in settings)

I did that and the home page video played perfectly! HOWEVER, troubles began again as soon as I logged in...first the video wouldn't play, then I cleared cookies which essentially logged me off and I couldn't get into the page with the video. so, i seem to be stuck in a loop here.

I'm not sure how you guys are getting this to work, but it would be civilized of you to share what you're doing especially considering you are not commiting to a date to be ipad compatible
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.