Amature Luthiers

GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
11/05/2009 12:15 am
Thinking about building my own custom guitar. I'd like to bounce a few ideas of of you folks, and I surely would appreciate any 'warnings' or advice from folks who have done this before.

I'm thinking of getting one of those 150.00 kits from china as a 'luthier starter kit' before I get in deeper. Eventually, I would like to build something decent from scratch....well, maybe a Warmoth neck, but the rest just me and my little wood shop out back.

You guys think the chinese guitar would be a good learning exercise or would I be just wasting money?

Any huge pitfalls I need to look out for?

Thanks

GG
# 1
Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
11/05/2009 12:58 am
Hey GG,

I have never actually built my own guitar... yet, but I am a tinker. I love fiddling around with things to try and make up my own gadget, mostly electronics.

But i think i may have a few suggestions or ideas for getting started.

Firstly, the question is, do i have time, energy and will to get into this. ( I usually do it regardless :))

2: Can I afford the parts and stuff right now, especially since there is a chance it could all go wrong and end up junk! (Again, i usually do it anyway, most of the time it works XD)

3: Before taking on the super expensive project, start for practice on something cheap. I think maybe that kit would be a good idea, or at least buying cheap parts from ebay or something. That way you can take your time, make your mistakes and find ways to correct them or avoid them without screwing up the more expensive final project.

4. Have fun doing it. No matter what it is you are messing with, have fun and let your imagination run wild and creativity flow. Who knows, maybe you will come up with something really awesome that Fender, Gibson or someone wants to buy the idea off of you and you spend the rest of your days strumming a guitar on a beach in Cancun sipping Maitais from a coconut watching some super famouse band on stage playing a guitar you created... we can dream right?

Anyway, whatever you do, have fun with it, and post pictures and stuff of it so the rest of us can steal your idea and get rich instead!
# 2
Dazoo
Full Access
Dazoo
Full Access
11/05/2009 1:59 am
Hey GG,

If your interested in starting out making your own axe, check out...

http://grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=guitar%20kit

Little bit more expensive than some of the other kits out there, but I feel great for the price. Grizzly also carries a decent selection of luthier tools, the CEO is a luthier by hobby and has made some really nice guitars.

The guys at Warmoth are amazing. Have purchased about 4 necks and 3 bodies from them, all good stuff. However, don't mention my name... that will get you a price increase! I'm a "pita" customer of theirs! :)

If your looking for some of the highest quality lumber out there, http://www.eisenbran.com/ is the place to go. I have used them for home, and work projects. Same rule applies as Warmoth! :)

Andy
It's better to regret something that you have done than something you haven't.
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/05/2009 2:27 am
Sounds to me like you'd actually like to do some wood working.

My suggestion would be to hit ebay for a neck and other parts, and go to your local exotic wood store and get a blank and cut your own body. That way you will end up with something that's a little more "yours".

I got a pretty nice maple neck I used on a parts-caster for $40. A 2 foot x 13 1/2 inch x 2 inch piece of Mahogany for my next build only cost me $55 Cdn (Tax in and the surfaces planed).

I don't think there is anything wrong with a kit, mind you. It just sounds like you might want to really get your hands in it. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
KFS1972
Full Access
KFS1972
Full Access
11/05/2009 5:03 pm
Originally Posted by: DazooHey GG,

Little bit more expensive than some of the other kits out there, but I feel great for the price. Grizzly also carries a decent selection of luthier tools, the CEO is a luthier by hobby and has made some really nice guitars.

The guys at Warmoth are amazing. Have purchased about 4 necks and 3 bodies from them, all good stuff. However, don't mention my name... that will get you a price increase! I'm a "pita" customer of theirs! :)

If your looking for some of the highest quality lumber out there, http://www.eisenbran.com/ is the place to go. I have used them for home, and work projects. Same rule applies as Warmoth! :)

Andy

I saw them at a woodworking show in Vegas and they had a couple of guitars in display cases, one acoustic and one electric. Lots of detailed inlay work on both. I wanted to take a picture but was wearing an exhibitor badge and didn't want any static. I thought it was somewhat weird that they would have them on display at a machinery show,,, makes more sense now.
# 5
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/05/2009 7:48 pm
Originally Posted by: GuitardedGeezer
I'm thinking of getting one of those 150.00 kits from china as a 'luthier starter kit' before I get in deeper.

I am curious what is in those kits. Do they include all the hardware & pick ups? Is there a site link to check them out?
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/05/2009 7:54 pm
Originally Posted by: DazooHey GG,

Man, it just grosses me out how much less expensive it is to buy ready made kits - or even new finished goods - than to build from scratch. Doesn't make sense and it's the same for all woodworking. :mad:
# 7
GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
11/05/2009 11:29 pm
yeah, the kits are pre cut, pre routed, no soldering required (I'm guessing they have clips or something), all parts including strings and strap buttons. In short...a little TOO complete and easy.

I appreciate the advice. From you guys said, I'm leaning towards building the body from scratch and buying a cheap neck and hardware for the first attempt. That way I can learn my routing and finishing techniques before I try again with some more expensive materials.

GG
# 8
Dazoo
Full Access
Dazoo
Full Access
11/06/2009 12:26 am
I would go for a decent neck and hardware for your first build, can always re-use them if things don't work out first go around. First one I built I was not happy with... thought it was something I did wrong to make it sound so "tinny." Ended up it was the crap that I put into it.

Just my 2 cents.
It's better to regret something that you have done than something you haven't.
# 9
GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
11/18/2009 2:54 pm
Okay, the build is beginning. I have a strat type neck, 21 frets, rosewood fretboard, truss rod already installed, and a paddle head. Also is a 21 by 14 by 1 7/8th block of kiln dried ash.

I've decided on a V shape, which I have sketched out on the block, as big as I could get it (still seems more narrow than a Gibson). Looking at two TOG Turbobuckers for the pickups, a volume and two tone knobs, a 3 way switch, and strat style 1/4in plug-in. A tunomatic type bridge with ferrules going thru the body to secure the strings. The scale length is 25.5 inches.

Here's what I need to know about....haven't decided on a pickguard or not. I think a pickguard would be easier, but I would need a custom cut to match the V. OR...If I go for no pickguard (which I think I prefer) does anyone have any info on how to route the cavities for the humbuckers and pots from the back? Also, what about the mounting the pots from the back? How much thickness do I leave between the cavity bottom and the front face of the guitar? Are there pots with long arms to reach farther? Is there a place where I can get templates or something to help out with placement of everything? Which type of pot (250 or 500) should I use?

Also, I marked the spot for the tunomatic bridge at the 25.5 inch mark. How far back should I drill the holes for the strings to pass through the body? Does it make a difference? Any hints/tips on installing ferrules? seems like it would be easy to screw that up so the strings don't go though easily etc.

Lot's of question because I need lots of help, hehe. Keep in mind this guitar is my first build, the one to learn on, so I'm staying cheap and simple for the most part. I hope to wind up with a playable training guitar I can give to one of my kids and a better knowledge of what I'm doing so I can step up a bit on quality and difficulty with the next project guitar.

Thanks for any help or suggestions

GG
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.