View post (Amature Luthiers)

View thread

Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
11/05/2009 12:58 am
Hey GG,

I have never actually built my own guitar... yet, but I am a tinker. I love fiddling around with things to try and make up my own gadget, mostly electronics.

But i think i may have a few suggestions or ideas for getting started.

Firstly, the question is, do i have time, energy and will to get into this. ( I usually do it regardless :))

2: Can I afford the parts and stuff right now, especially since there is a chance it could all go wrong and end up junk! (Again, i usually do it anyway, most of the time it works XD)

3: Before taking on the super expensive project, start for practice on something cheap. I think maybe that kit would be a good idea, or at least buying cheap parts from ebay or something. That way you can take your time, make your mistakes and find ways to correct them or avoid them without screwing up the more expensive final project.

4. Have fun doing it. No matter what it is you are messing with, have fun and let your imagination run wild and creativity flow. Who knows, maybe you will come up with something really awesome that Fender, Gibson or someone wants to buy the idea off of you and you spend the rest of your days strumming a guitar on a beach in Cancun sipping Maitais from a coconut watching some super famouse band on stage playing a guitar you created... we can dream right?

Anyway, whatever you do, have fun with it, and post pictures and stuff of it so the rest of us can steal your idea and get rich instead!