Acoustic and a Mic - What's the secret?

BobGamacho
BobGamacho
08/19/2009 2:10 am
I am a fingerstyle player who mostly plays on a classical guitar. I have a microphone, I have a mixer with phantom power, it goes into my computer.

Classical guitar is a parlor sized La Patrie "Motif", and it is outfitted with an under-saddle pickup that is powered by an onboard 9V battery. It sounds great from the pickup to the mixer, but the sound through my microphone sounds like junk, very hollow.

This is my mic: CAD M177 I've pasted the description below for those who do not want to click on the link.

I went into a studio about a year ago, and the guy had these dual Sennheiser's that made my guitar sound fantastic. I know that my Mic is not expensive, but I expected a bit more from it, and I have to figure that I'm doing something wrong.

Anyone want to offer up a bit of info on how to get a condenser mic to record a fingerstyle player?

Rob

MICROPHONE: CAD M177
Externally-biased large-diaphragm transduction, high-power electronics, and legendary CAD industrial profile. Your tracks will shine with a blend of classic tone and futuristic punch. The M177 condenser microphone features include hi-pass filter and attenuator. Swivel mount, elastic shockmount and carrying case included. P24 (24V) or P48 (48V) phantom power required.
# 1
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/11/2009 7:35 pm
I record a lot at home and use a cheap AT mic straight into the interface. I tend to get a pretty good sound most of the time. They key is to "how" you mic the guitar. Each acoustic instrument has a "sweet" spot where you can find the truest tone of the guitar ring through the wood. The key is to mic it so that sustain comes through and you capture the best possible sound from your instrument acoustically. Try playing an open chord, and while it is ringing move it the guitar around the mic and see what sounds comes out the best. Make sure to check your mic for any switches that may be on (low cut, phase switches, etc.) Also, what type of interface are you using? This makes a difference. You also have to think about how you mix the acoustic and what your EQ, compression, reverb settings you use.

A true gem in recording acoustic guitar is doubling every part your record. This is very, very common and you can do this by playing the same part twice and than pan one track L and the other track R. This really helps get a great sound with minimal equipment.

Best of luck and let me know if you any other questions.
Douglas Showalter
# 2
lank81
lank81
09/18/2009 2:15 pm
Bob,
I have the newer (multi-pattern) model of the M179 and get some decent sounds from it. First off, what is your mic placement? If I'm doing a single mic I usually mic at the 12th fret and slightly turn it in towards where the neck meets the body at about 18" back. This usually gets a good sound from my Martin. If you have two M177s check out these stereo placments - http://www.humbuckermusic.com/acguitrectec.html . Right now I'm using two SM81 mics into a DMP-3 Mic Pre. It delivers a beautiful, clear, crisp, and articulate sound. If you ever want to upgrade to a classic great mic you can find a pair of these for 350-400$. Another question, what interface are you going through? I hope this helps a bit.

Thanks,
Matt
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.