what are the chances?

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
01/22/2009 2:02 pm
So I ran into a friend who plays bass...
she was like oh we have to play sometime. Now I have never played with any other instrument. Aside from that I bought my girlfriend a drum set that has yet to be really played..she banged around on it a few times...so we wanted to get her into it too. We agreed we would each pick a song and try to play together....
is this an impossible feat cnsidering I have never played along with another person or instrument...and the drummer is a retired trumpet player with a burn to play drums....we might scare the birds away...lolol..oh mannn

I am looking at this selfishly that at least I will get some experience playing wth others....now I just have to learn something to play

I also fear the bass player thinks I can play better than I can...ugh
# 1
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
01/22/2009 6:03 pm
That is totally awesome. I bought my boy a drum set a few years back over two or three years so its a nice set of drums. He played awhile then gave it up. I wish I could get him to knock on em while I play but he just isn't into it. I think its great you found some people to play with that is just awesome.
I stay in the dog house its easier that way...
# 2
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
01/22/2009 7:52 pm
yeah it is cool in theory....but can this really work?
odd mix of people
thats the part that worries me....

I know the bass and drums have to have a connection...and the bassist has been playing awhile so that helps and
my girlfriend "the drummer"...played classical trumpet for 14 years ( but its been a long time ) so she is familiar with music...but not experienced with the drums....she always wanted a set so got her a small starter tama kit ..knowing theyd probably sit in the basement which is what they are doing...

and then there is me...lol....not really experienced at all...never played with any other instrument...so im worried I wont be able to follow or keep pace...
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/23/2009 12:21 am
Yes it is doable if you all practice individuals either via playing along with the CD or via a metronome. Key is to get used to playing in time and everyone needs to know that too. Know the notes but also develop timing too. The first couple of years I just noodled riffs and stuff without any timed structure. Mistake. Getting used to playing in time is a different animal.

I'd spend time learning the parts (of course) then once you have a handle, just groove with the song on CD but listen quitly enough that you can hear youself play too and build up the timing skill; which, by the way, can be a little flustering at first.

If everyone does that action plan, it could be fun.
# 4
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
01/23/2009 6:04 am
I think it will work. Sounds like your friends really like to play music. I think they will be as eager to help you out as you are to play. Tell your friend it is time to drag those drums outta the basement and jam!
I stay in the dog house its easier that way...
# 5
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
01/23/2009 8:47 am
Hey all, I don't feel right calling you silly,
Just get your girlfriend on drums to play a quarter note kick, and have the bass player follow along in a 1, 4, 5 progression. After they get that going, you come in with the rhythm guitar.

It's not as hard as it seems, you may be surprised. Since you and your girlfriend are just starting out, the bass player should be happy to assist you. It will be a learning experience either way, but don't forget to have fun too.

Try using a boom chick rhythm on your guitar, and then try it with alternating bass notes. You'll be playing along with the bass, so that's a pick, and a strum for everytime your girlfriend hits the kick drum.

Let us know how it goes, and enjoy yourself.

JD
# 6
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
01/23/2009 1:38 pm
I am meeting up with the bassist today ( drummer girlfriend is working )...see how good or bad it goes. Hopefully she will be able to give me some instruction on playing together

We have to decide on a song ( s ) to work on and then go from there....
I was thinking something in the AC/DC range....she wants to try american woman by lenny kravitz..I have also been playing or trying to...wonderwall by oasis...so thats on the plate too

I know I can improv some ( like 4 or 5 ) jazz chords...which is always my go to stuff when I dont know what to play since I dont really know full songs...
I am more of a fiddle around type...hard to stick with a song...
so we will see what happens today

wish me luck..I will either come back pumped or feeling like I dont fit in yet
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.