newbie and excited

UltraMike105
UltraMike105
12/19/2008 4:13 pm
Hi,
I have tried to play the guitar once before, however the work schedule and lessons did not match up. So I sold my begginers fender and was bumbed about it.

I found this site and think it will work well with my schedule and life.
I just perchased this guitar: Applause AE128-5 Super Shallow Acoustic-Electric Guitar, Black. I wanted to be able to play acoustic and a little electric guitar and a that friend plays, thought this would be a great starter for me.
Plus I'm a FAT (but sexy) man and the shallow body help with my reach.

The guitar got a lot of good reviews. So I pulled the trigger and should have it in 3 days. Merry Christmas to me.

My only concern is, as I mention I'm fat, and have fat fingers. When I started play before I found that getting two or more fingers on a fret a little hard.

I did read (on this site) about having a custom nut made and having the notches spread apart a little more the normal helps. If any body has other ideas about this please reply! (and please do not tell me to loose weight, I'm working on that already)

We hope to hear back from many of you!!!
Have a great holiday
Mike
# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/19/2008 6:35 pm
Hi Mike-

Happy Holidays and congratulations on your new guitar!

I've taught many adult beginners, some of whom are on the bigger side. For the most part, they do just fine after a while of careful practicing.

Occasionally, for certain chords like an A major, you may have to find a workaround if you are not able to make it the traditional way, which is having three fingers next to one another all in the third fret.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do to set yourself up for the best results is to make sure your hands are approaching the neck at the correct angle, and that you develop enough finger flexibility and coordination to make the tiny little adjustments that will make the difference for you between good clear tone, and compromised tone.

You may wish to try some of the Spider Legs series of warm-up exercises to get those particular skills up to snuff. Here's a link:
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=621

Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted.
Best wishes, Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/19/2008 6:35 pm
Welcome to the site. :)
Originally Posted by: UltraMike105
My only concern is, as I mention I'm fat, and have fat fingers. When I started play before I found that getting two or more fingers on a fret a little hard.

I have seen cases in which it is physically impossible (or at least impractical) to expect fingers (or hands) that are too large (or small) to play certain things.

Since you are an absolute beginner, then it might simply be that you need to practice.

However, before you go practicing thinking that it will get better, try this. Go to the nearest music store (or store that sells a variety of guitars). Play a bunch of guitars. Try to play any chord shapes and notes you know on lots of them. Explain your issue to a salesperson. It may be that you need to buy and use an instrument that has wider string spacing. Use that exact phrase: wider string spacing.

It might be that a different guitar with wider string spacing is exactly what you need. I know this might be hard to hear knowing you already have purchased a guitar. But better later than never!

Best of success with it. Let me know how it goes!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Steve Mac Live
Steve Mac Live
12/31/2008 5:25 pm
I am a fat fingered and small handed beginner. I struggled in the beginning and began to think that my hands just weren't going to allow me to be the type of guitar player I was envisioning. Then I saw Andy McKee (on YouTube). Watch him for inspiration and practice.

P.S. I am still a beginner, but can see some progression. :)
# 4
MikePerry
MikePerry
01/03/2009 1:25 am
Thanks for the Spider Legs Lisa! Hey look a moth! I came to the forum last night after struggling with Fundamentals One on the F Major Chord. That double string on the index finger while simultaneously arching the middle and ring finger is a bear. My index finger wants to arch with the M & R or they too want to lay flat like the I. So amidst frustration with my uncooperative fingers I found your Spider Legs post and thought I would do that a while. Then I felt all better.

I too have giant hands and fingers but my understanding is once the calluses build up it will get easier to hit only the desired string. Is that true? I have only baby calluses now but I am nuturing them so they will grow up big and stong. :D

BTW this is a fantastic site! If you are on the fence about joining get off the fence! The lessons are excellent and the cost is minimal and you practice when you have time. Thanks, Mike
# 5
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/03/2009 3:08 am
Hey Mike-

Bravo! You are the very first student to mention the moth. You win!!! (prize yet to be determined.)

Glad to know the Spider Legs exercises are helping. And yes, I believe you'll find ways to refine your tone and aim as your calluses and finger flexibility develop.

Sounds like you're on the right track - keep at it! (and watch out for moths...)

Best - Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 6
MikePerry
MikePerry
01/03/2009 3:15 pm
Woo-hoo a prize! :) Thank you Lisa. You guys are the best!

~Mike
# 7
metsfan1100
metsfan1100
01/08/2009 11:26 pm
Have you ever herd of the band bowling for soup, they made 1985, not 1979 which is smashing pumpkins. There guitarist is very big person. He is also a great guitarist. I do not think you should have any problem. Plus you can probably get a wide fret board and space apart the stings more if you have to.
# 8
Lils
Lils
01/09/2009 1:27 pm
I'm a newbie too, got an electric guitar for Xmas, but was told to get an acoustic guitar as they're easier to learn. I have now got one. I have just been trying to tune the acoustic guitar and guess what, I have already broke the top E string, good start in it. O'er.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.