Overlooked Techniques?

damaged
damaged
08/17/2007 11:55 am
Hey everyone,

Recently I've been noticing a lot of guitarist over look some of the most basic skills. eg. Vibrato, Bending and clean alt picking.
I feel strongly this is because they try run before they can walk sort of thing, wanting the fastest way to play the fastest, craziest licks.
Is this a new thing brought on by access to shred videos via youtube (and company) or has this been around for a long time?

Whats you view\opinion on this?

Thanks.

AC
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
08/17/2007 1:07 pm
100% correct - most guys go for the 'magic pill' approach to get as fast as possible as quickly as possible. Taking this route usually results in sub-standard playing that becomes very difficult to improve on (they plateau with no skills other than speed).

Good guitarists are separated from the vast majority by one thing - style. Style itself as far as lead gutiar is concerned is the process of being able to inject feeling into playing. Without style a guitarist sounds boring, lifeless and robotic.

The key ingredients in creating a unique style are mastery and combination of the following techniques:
- Vibrato (ultra important - wide, narrow, fast, slow etc)
- Sliding to and from notes (makes parts more interesting and adds a stylish edge)
- Pinched harmonics (not just 'squeels' but varying degrees of PH's can add an interesting flavour to otherwise ordinary passages)
- Bending (rather than simply playing a colection of notes, bending from note to note completely changes the feel of a passage)

The key to mastering the above being able to play a piece slowly. Most fast solos sound bornig when slowed down - the whole point is that the music should be interesting at any pace.

I developed my own playing style through playing complex pieces at half speed and trying to add as much flair and frill as possible to compensate for the reduced speed. Now I play everything a lot slower and use shred runs as a tool to enhance solo rather than basing it entirely on speed. This makes the shred sound faster and the solo sound more interesting.

Good solos have lots of different pattern runs, stand alone melodies, feeling injected into every note via playing style AND a beginning middle and end.

Hope that helps someone out there!
# 2
ren
ren
08/17/2007 2:02 pm
Well said man... and if any of you haven't heard this guy play, go check his link... :cool:

When I teach I try to cover a variety of techniques but very few are interested in using their fingers - fingerstyle, hybrid picking, chickin pickin' and so on, and as you say almost everyone goes for speed. Few want to learn to read music or understand theory, they just want to see where the dots are on the 'board and go as fast as possible.

Anyone with a competitive nature needs something tangible to aim for and xxx number of notes at xxx bpm is something fixed. We've argued/discussed 'Who's the Best' many times and we can never agree. You could lay more of a claim to being the fastest. Many players don't understand that speed isn't everything and I was probably guilty of that once upon a time...

Youtube seems to be mostly people trying to show-off, and it almost always speed... but they're all [U]very[/U] similar so you'd think people would look for something else. I taught a guy once who spoke to me on the 'phone first and said 'I want to play like Satriani', it was only when he arrived with no hair and oakleys that I realised he meant exactly like Satriani... and no, I'm not kidding. :rolleyes:

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
08/17/2007 3:59 pm
Originally Posted by: ren I taught a guy once who spoke to me on the 'phone first and said 'I want to play like Satriani', it was only when he arrived with no hair and oakleys that I realised he meant exactly like Satriani... and no, I'm not kidding. :rolleyes:

Ahem, as a person who has a benuded pate, I would like to say, for the record, that having no hair and wearing stylish shades does not equate to playing like Satriani.

But man, how sweet would it be if it did? :rolleyes:
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 4
hunter1801
hunter1801
08/17/2007 5:34 pm
Originally Posted by: renWell said man... and if any of you haven't heard this guy play, go check his link... :cool:

um....what guy, and what link?
# 5
ren
ren
08/17/2007 7:45 pm
Superhuman - here

Thought it was obvious... :o

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 6
Fret spider
Fret spider
08/17/2007 9:06 pm
no ones mentioned legato.

or i think tapping, or sweeping. although these are more complex techniques. presently i am tryin to learn to slap and pop on guitar, like on a base. its quite hard.
# 7
dvenetian
dvenetian
08/18/2007 7:52 am
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ren, Thanks for the advice on checkin out Superhuman's link. Very clean and precise. It emphasizes style and feeling all over the tracks. Here all this time I thought that the Irish best talents were drinking us amatures under the table.............. (Maybe he is equally talented; hence Superhuman)
Fantastic work...........I would purchase it.
It shows that taking the advice from someone who puts the "proof in the pudding" can and will benefit from it. Especially the half speed advice. Let's face it, if you can't play it slowly, you've overlooked most everything comprehensive to making the different phrases sound great. You end up with Mulligan's Stew..........
# 8
damaged
damaged
08/18/2007 9:44 am
I checked out Superhumans playing a while ago :eek: He'd have to classify as a virtuoso IMHO

Thanks for every ones feedback btw
# 9
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
08/18/2007 6:37 pm
I would definitely say that vibrato is greatly overlooked. You can seperate the good guitarists from bad in seconds based on vibrato alone. Face it, if your vibrato stinks then well... YOU stink! My friend showed me some random blues band on myspace once, a group of 17-18yr olds, and well... this guitarist sure could rip Yngwie style on a slow blues ( :( ) but whenever he tried to whip out a big fat thick SRV line, he would butcher it to hell because his vibrato was weak and/or non-existant. I've heard guitarists with 2yrs experience that sound better because their vibrato was good. They couldn't play 16ths at 240bpm but who CARES! And apart from this topic really, but seriously, if you're gonna shred... do it in jazz or jazz fusion, or heck do it like they do. Its soooo much more musiclally pleasing to listen to. :rolleyes:
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 10
damaged
damaged
08/19/2007 3:34 pm
Originally Posted by: Weslababut seriously, if you're gonna shred... do it in jazz or jazz fusion, or heck do it like they do. Its soooo much more musiclally pleasing to listen to. :rolleyes:

Personally
Shredding in Prog Metal is the most musically pleasing to me. It incorporates Jazz, Classical, Blues etc :cool:
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.