View post (Overlooked Techniques?)

View thread

ren
ren
08/17/2007 2:02 pm
Well said man... and if any of you haven't heard this guy play, go check his link... :cool:

When I teach I try to cover a variety of techniques but very few are interested in using their fingers - fingerstyle, hybrid picking, chickin pickin' and so on, and as you say almost everyone goes for speed. Few want to learn to read music or understand theory, they just want to see where the dots are on the 'board and go as fast as possible.

Anyone with a competitive nature needs something tangible to aim for and xxx number of notes at xxx bpm is something fixed. We've argued/discussed 'Who's the Best' many times and we can never agree. You could lay more of a claim to being the fastest. Many players don't understand that speed isn't everything and I was probably guilty of that once upon a time...

Youtube seems to be mostly people trying to show-off, and it almost always speed... but they're all [U]very[/U] similar so you'd think people would look for something else. I taught a guy once who spoke to me on the 'phone first and said 'I want to play like Satriani', it was only when he arrived with no hair and oakleys that I realised he meant exactly like Satriani... and no, I'm not kidding. :rolleyes:

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com