Vintage effects MXR Sovtek etc

McDuffie
McDuffie
07/22/2006 6:09 am
I never used a whole lot of effects. I usually had a delay of some kind for a quick slapback effect and maybe a wah. I also had and still have an original MXR Dyna Comp. I used it, not as a sustainer or compressor, but as a mini amp to boost my signal during solos. I turned the right knob all the way down and just used the volume knob.

Unfortunately, I was in the Navy at the time and I was painting pipes in the engine room. The color code for pipes that carry oil was black and yellow, so I got the bright idea to paint the pedal with black and yellow stripes. You see, I don't listen to commercial music now and didn't then either, so I had no idea that a Christian glam band called Stryper painted all their equipment with black and yellow stripes. All I heard was 'Stryper this' and 'Stryper that'. :rolleyes: Geez, I thought my paint job was pretty cool.

Anyway, none of us had no idea that one day pedals would be worth money. I remember passing by an Ibanez TS808 in a pawn shop for $35 and my old MXR Distortion+ cost me $10. The guy sold it to me because he said he never used it. That was about 1983 or so.

Well, stupid me, now I want all these old pedals. I have found some really cool pedals on ebay from the seventies that I have never even heard of.

Like check this out

Electra Flanger

and this one

Maestro Phase Shifter

I guess I am just posting this to ask: what old vintage pedals do you have and do you love them or are they just nice conversation pieces?
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/22/2006 5:48 pm
I really dig vintage pedals too. The closest thing I've got is the reissue of the MXR M117 flange pedal. This is probably the most versatile pedal in my setup. It can sound like a chorus, phaser, flanger, and a leslie simulation. It's flanger tones are the best I've ever heard. The only other vintage gear I have is a 1961 Gibson GA-5 Skylark 1x8 combo amp. It can sound quite horrid with some gear, but with the right gear, it can sound amazing.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.