View post (Vintage effects MXR Sovtek etc)

View thread

McDuffie
McDuffie
07/22/2006 6:09 am
I never used a whole lot of effects. I usually had a delay of some kind for a quick slapback effect and maybe a wah. I also had and still have an original MXR Dyna Comp. I used it, not as a sustainer or compressor, but as a mini amp to boost my signal during solos. I turned the right knob all the way down and just used the volume knob.

Unfortunately, I was in the Navy at the time and I was painting pipes in the engine room. The color code for pipes that carry oil was black and yellow, so I got the bright idea to paint the pedal with black and yellow stripes. You see, I don't listen to commercial music now and didn't then either, so I had no idea that a Christian glam band called Stryper painted all their equipment with black and yellow stripes. All I heard was 'Stryper this' and 'Stryper that'. :rolleyes: Geez, I thought my paint job was pretty cool.

Anyway, none of us had no idea that one day pedals would be worth money. I remember passing by an Ibanez TS808 in a pawn shop for $35 and my old MXR Distortion+ cost me $10. The guy sold it to me because he said he never used it. That was about 1983 or so.

Well, stupid me, now I want all these old pedals. I have found some really cool pedals on ebay from the seventies that I have never even heard of.

Like check this out

Electra Flanger

and this one

Maestro Phase Shifter

I guess I am just posting this to ask: what old vintage pedals do you have and do you love them or are they just nice conversation pieces?