Replacement tube for my Tube Works pedal by BK Butler

McDuffie
McDuffie
07/21/2006 8:55 pm
I have an original tuber driver by BK Butler, not one of the ones made by Chandler, but one of the original BK Butler models. If you know who BK Butler is, I need say no more.

The question I have is this: The tube they used in the pedal is a generic 12AX7 and it is really muddy when I use anything other than a guitar with a single coil in the bridge position.

Can anyone recommend a replacement tube that is twangy? Should I call Groove Tubes and talk to them about it?
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/21/2006 8:57 pm
Sure that be a good thing to do. There is also a site called eurotubes which is quite helpful.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/21/2006 9:03 pm
Another great place to buy tubes is (was) tubeworks in Canada. However I can't seem to locate it. The address (used to be) tubeworks.com but that address takes me to another company.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/21/2006 9:11 pm
In my estimation, Groove Tubes is not a good supplier. Talk to Bob at >Eurotubes< about this. He has a good handle on which manufacturers are best for a particular requirement. He handles JJ primarily, but he's quick to point to whatever supplier has the right tube for the job.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/21/2006 9:49 pm
Thanks LATS. I did get a bit lazy with that post.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
# 5
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/21/2006 9:56 pm
The place is called http://www.thetubestore.com
Gettin forgetful in my old age.
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/22/2006 1:24 am
Talk to Doug at www.dougstubes.com. He has a very nice selection of tubes, and is very helpful when it comes to finding the right tube for the tone you're looking or. Bob at eurotubes is also a great guy, but he only deals with JJ tubes. Actually, I would ask several people for their professional opinion.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
McDuffie
McDuffie
07/22/2006 1:37 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaTalk to Doug at www.dougstubes.com. He has a very nice selection of tubes, and is very helpful when it comes to finding the right tube for the tone you're looking or. Bob at eurotubes is also a great guy, but he only deals with JJ tubes. Actually, I would ask several people for their professional opinion.

I think I chose the best option: I called BK Butler himself. It seems that David Gilmour recently had the same complaint as me. Butler says the problem is the pedal is asking a higher voltage tube to operate at 9 volts, so he has designed a tube that is made to operate at 9 volts specifically as a replacement for the tube in this pedal.

Just last week, they received a call from Gilmour's guitar tech and he said that the new tube performs exactly as he expected. Bright and sparkly.

I told him that my complaint wasn't with the pedal itself, but rather with the fact that when switching from bridge pickup to neck pickup, I have to adjust the EQ settings on the amp. It's fine for recording but horrible for onstage. He said that that was David Gilmour's exact complaint.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.