View post (Replacement tube for my Tube Works pedal by BK Butler)

View thread

McDuffie
McDuffie
07/22/2006 1:37 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaTalk to Doug at www.dougstubes.com. He has a very nice selection of tubes, and is very helpful when it comes to finding the right tube for the tone you're looking or. Bob at eurotubes is also a great guy, but he only deals with JJ tubes. Actually, I would ask several people for their professional opinion.

I think I chose the best option: I called BK Butler himself. It seems that David Gilmour recently had the same complaint as me. Butler says the problem is the pedal is asking a higher voltage tube to operate at 9 volts, so he has designed a tube that is made to operate at 9 volts specifically as a replacement for the tube in this pedal.

Just last week, they received a call from Gilmour's guitar tech and he said that the new tube performs exactly as he expected. Bright and sparkly.

I told him that my complaint wasn't with the pedal itself, but rather with the fact that when switching from bridge pickup to neck pickup, I have to adjust the EQ settings on the amp. It's fine for recording but horrible for onstage. He said that that was David Gilmour's exact complaint.