PRS, ESP, or Gibson

PowerChordWiz
PowerChordWiz
03/31/2006 5:07 am
Im thinking about getting a new guitar in the near future, but I'm not sure what kind would be best for me. Right now I have a Fender Mex strat, and Love it but I think its about time to move on and upgrade to a better guitar. The three brands I've narrowed my search down to are Paul Reed Smith, ESP, or Gibson. I need to know what kind of guitar would be the best for me. I play more of a metal, hard rock style, but also play more modern rock or acid rock kind of style. If anyone can give me ideas of guitars from those three brands that would work really good for that. I plan on spending as much as $1000 or less but would be willing to go as high as maybe $1500, but not likely. Maybe something more in the $750 dollar range. Please give me some Ideas for good guitar models from those three brands because im sure I want one from one of those three.
# 1
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
03/31/2006 7:04 am
i wud go for a PRS... thats just because i reckon they are just so sweet...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 2
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/31/2006 8:44 am
I think the ESP/LTD M-50 looks like what you might be looking for.

This is it.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 3
Fretfire
Fretfire
03/31/2006 1:18 pm
Both are really nice guitars, but ill go with the GIbson Les Paul Supreme or Gothic Edition......you can have one for $1000 to $1500 budget. You wont regret It.
Guitarplaying is 1 Percent Inspiration, 99 Percent Perspiration... :)
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/31/2006 2:38 pm
Check out the Gibson Les Paul Historic Goldtop '57 reissue, there are some nice prices out there. Also, it will increase in value of you keep in in mint condition. I got one and just keep it in the flight case whenever its not in use. Lovely guitar but I still prefer my Jem and EBMM Petrucci 7 string.

Do yourself a favour and try the EBMM Petrucci axe... guaranteed to feel unlike any other axe you have ever played and it has by far the best neck I have ever tried (even better than my top of the range Jem). THe piezo pickup and stereo jack provide amazing tonal combinations and the custom Dimarzio pickups and amazing, if you look hard enough you'll probably get one for around $1,500 (after haggling down - on E-bay).
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/31/2006 2:50 pm
My PRS CE24 (New) was list $2500 (I payed 1750), the customs (like Eric's) are a little more pricey.

My LP Classic (New) was was $1650.

Both were reasonable prices.

A new Les Paul Supreme comes in at about $3000.00

The LP studios are very nice guitars guitars and come in at about 1250-1150 new.

i got one second hand for about $600.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
03/31/2006 4:36 pm
You just have to get out and try em hey.

I have a Prs Custom 22 artist pacakge, its gorgeous, and if you can find a second hand Prs (a Ce would be a good choice) I'd give t a look.
I also have a Gibson Les Paul Studio, which is nice, but probably not the best value for money around.

I quite like Esp, and I think a nice highend Ltd model could be just what you are looking for, try the Ec1000 or the H1000(I think)

anyway...just try out a few guitars hey...you'll find a nice guitar for that money.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 7
SPL
SPL
03/31/2006 6:21 pm
Feel free to ignore this message... but at that budget I would recommend looking into Carvin. More specifically their California carved top model.
# 8
pure
pure
03/31/2006 10:16 pm
Originally Posted by: PowerChordWizIm thinking about getting a new guitar in the near future, but I'm not sure what kind would be best for me. Right now I have a Fender Mex strat, and Love it but I think its about time to move on and upgrade to a better guitar. The three brands I've narrowed my search down to are Paul Reed Smith, ESP, or Gibson. I need to know what kind of guitar would be the best for me. I play more of a metal, hard rock style, but also play more modern rock or acid rock kind of style. If anyone can give me ideas of guitars from those three brands that would work really good for that. I plan on spending as much as $1000 or less but would be willing to go as high as maybe $1500, but not likely. Maybe something more in the $750 dollar range. Please give me some Ideas for good guitar models from those three brands because im sure I want one from one of those three.

ESP ( i like the M-200 FM)
or PRS

would fit your style of music. i cant see a gibson playing metal and acid rock more than i see a prs and an ESP. unless its like an explorer or something non- lp. maybe the double cutaway les paul would be nice. but ive never heard it.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 9
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/01/2006 4:19 am
Originally Posted by: pureESP ( i like the M-200 FM)

Yeah, man - M-series ESPs are beautiful. :cool:
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 10
PowerChordWiz
PowerChordWiz
04/03/2006 10:56 pm
Ok I just got back from my guitar shop, and they just got a new shipment or brand new ESP's. I played about three of them, and was not at all impressed. First of all I played the $994 Kirk Hammet Esp and was very dissapointed at what I was playing with. It sounded ok, not great but ok, the volume control on the guitar, didn't work at all, it had two volume settings, on and off basically, I get better response from my $360 Mex strat. This was the case for about two of them, and the other ones weren't all that great.

Then I started playing with a PRS Tremonti and was very impressed. It had very good sound, it had a volume knob (that acually responded), and three tone knobs. I also really like the Les Paul like shape, and also had a fixed bridge which would come in handy for the lower tuning metal I throw in sometimes because it takes forever to tune a guitar in different tunings that has a trem. All in all I liked it, and it only costs about $470 which I think is pretty good because it has great sound and has everything Im looking for.

So for now my final verdict is A PRS Tromonti ($470) and a Line 6 Spider II 1 12 Combo ($300). Keep in mind that I am a still somewhat of a beginner, and only was willing to spend $1000 on a guitar only if I liked it a ton. For now I think that a tremonti will do. Also Ill either sell or keep my Mex strat(for a 2nd guitar). If anyone thinks this is a bad choice please let me know.
# 11
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
04/03/2006 11:56 pm
I think I would have to go with Gibson... I would say PRS, but they're a bit pricey
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 12
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
04/06/2006 12:20 am
If I had the money I would so blow it on a PRS, those beasts are indeed sexy.
We've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...
# 13
rightturnonly
Full Access
rightturnonly
Full Access
04/06/2006 1:40 am
I am using a PRS Santana and like it very much. when you mentioned the type of music you like, I say get a reissue Les Paul.I just finished playing :) in "Guitarmegeddon" @ guitar center while there I heard a lot of different guitars and I have to say get a Les Paul, One of the contestants used a 59 reissue and it sounded awsum; compared to all the other instruments I heard. He played thru a Marshall 100 and a half stack speaker, so did nearly all of the other musicians. That paul.WOW! But there is a lot of hot guitars out there that don't cost so much.
# 14
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/06/2006 2:43 am
Originally Posted by: PowerChordWizAlso Ill either sell or keep my Mex strat(for a 2nd guitar). If anyone thinks this is a bad choice please let me know.

Just depends on how attached you are to it. I'm in the process of replacing, per se, my Mexican Strat, but I wouldn't sell it for anything. I've just had too many experiences to just up and sell it.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 15
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/06/2006 7:33 am
I dunno man, I got a gibson SG special faded, they cost about $690 brand new right now.

I can get some real good metal sounds out of it. and it works amazingly for any kind of modern rock, punk rock, etc. that has that nice crunchy sound that isn't quite balls-to-the-wall metal, you know? I run that through a line 6 spider II 30W combo, and it gets some really nice tones. I say gibson.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 16
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
04/06/2006 5:15 pm
Well, I'm a bit partial to PRS, so I say go that route, but only if you like how it feels, plays, and sounds. PRS guitars aren't for everybody, but I just so happen to love them. PRS guitars (with a few exceptions) have a very modern tone to them. In other words, if you plan on playing a lot of classic rock, you might want to look more into the Gibson route. Don't get me wrong though. I play every style under the sun on my Custom 22, and it pulls almost everything off very nicely.

I had been looking into getting one of the new SE singlecuts, but then I ran accross a Yamaha AES620. This is an amazing guitar for the price. It's also very versatile. It has a Seymour Duncan JB pickup at the bridge, which has plenty of output for all types of rock and metal. At the neck, it has a Yamaha designed PAF style pickup, which produces some very nice les paulish type tones.

I wouldn't limit myself to just those 3 brands. There are plenty of other brands out there that might offer you a better choice for what you're looking for.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 17
johnnybroni
johnnybroni
04/07/2006 5:39 am
have u tried a dean ? there new hardtail is alot of guitar for the money and is ver versatile has all the features as a prs just around 600.00 new might be worth checkin out!
# 18
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/07/2006 6:25 am
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanCheck out the Gibson Les Paul Historic Goldtop '57 reissue, there are some nice prices out there. Also, it will increase in value of you keep in in mint condition. I got one and just keep it in the flight case whenever its not in use. Lovely guitar but I still prefer my Jem and EBMM Petrucci 7 string.

Do yourself a favour and try the EBMM Petrucci axe... guaranteed to feel unlike any other axe you have ever played and it has by far the best neck I have ever tried (even better than my top of the range Jem). THe piezo pickup and stereo jack provide amazing tonal combinations and the custom Dimarzio pickups and amazing, if you look hard enough you'll probably get one for around $1,500 (after haggling down - on E-bay).

Of course you prefer your JEM, who wouldn't love a JEM?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 19
damaged
damaged
04/08/2006 1:53 pm
why not ibanez? JS1200 is nicest guitar i have ever player :rolleyes: but that was owned but a guitar luither. that couldnt have some to do with it ;) perfectly set up. lol everything on it was stock expect strings
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.