is it good if you repeat a lot a solo?

eusuntuncrocodi
eusuntuncrocodi
03/01/2006 9:39 am
a year ago i tried to play the solo from "S.I.N" by Ozzy Osbourne. I thought that if i have patience in practice the solo from a very slow tempo, again and again, i can manage to play it well. But after a few weeks i managed to play the thing but i couldn't play anything else because my fingers played the notes from that solo.
Now i learnt scales and stuff. If i try the same method again will i have more succes?
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/01/2006 1:54 pm
ummm. well ive never had that problem, but uhh. i guess if you keep working out each thing exclusively, you would just keep adding onto your memory bank up there.

keep in mind tho... whenever you play one thing, the other things dont get practice, and you forget them. thats just a fact of life. i'd practice everything. like, my typical practice (i dont really have a routine, but still) would be a warm up (scales with a metronome... increasing in speed untill its too rediculously fast. some people do this as their entire practice, but i dont really like that.) then after the w/u, i'd play a few songs i know, all the way through, trying to keep up the same speed the entire time (still using the metronome) i have like 5 songs that im trying to learn, and i'd just go through each of them, front to back. this way, im learning several instead of just overly cramming with one. and you still get the benefit of working on just one if you just keep doing the same routine every day untill you have them all down.

thats just a sugestion. hope it helps. :cool:
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/01/2006 4:13 pm
I'm sure everyone has that same problem when screwing around. It's pretty much natural for people to develop habits and things alike. Two things come to mind that help that problem.

1. Keep learning. The more you learn, the more you can do. So even if you develop habits, they'll constantly be changing.

2. When practicing, say, the routine that you mentioned going through, practice like that with more than just one solo or a couple of scales. For example, if you practice a solo, then some string skipping, then some scales, etc. etc. with the metronome, you're not just drilling one set pattern into your head. You're putting multiple. The key to that one is to add spice and flavor to your practice routine. It'll help you become more diverse and maybe even make practicing fun.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.