Need Help.....

84GSRCIVIC
84GSRCIVIC
12/30/2005 9:02 pm
I just got a new guitar for christmas and it's hard to learn, the thing that get's me is when you first start playing your fingers start to hurt like crazy but i was told that was the way it goes...oh well. the thing that i find hard so far is switching chords i can put my fingers on the chords and get the proper sound but when it's time to switch forgedaboudet.... could anybody give my some ideas on how i can get better at this......THANX... HAPPY NEW YEAR...
# 1
jhelton0001
jhelton0001
12/30/2005 9:15 pm
Just keep practicing everyday. It will get better as time goes along. Everyone goes through the same thing, some longer than others. Practice is the key though. You just have to stick with it. Hope this helps.
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/30/2005 9:17 pm
What he said and maybe get a metronome. They're pretty cheap but an essential musical tool. For everything else theres Mastercard...wait no for everything else here's a good link. http://www.guitartricks.com/guide.php

If you have a Mastercard I highly suggest putting up the 5 bucks a month.

I read your profile and saw you were born exactly two days after me. Off topic but an interesting tidbit none the less.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
84GSRCIVIC
84GSRCIVIC
12/31/2005 1:59 am
thanx for the info...... this stuff is hard.... is there anyone out there from TORONTO.....
# 4
pure
pure
12/31/2005 3:15 am
always wanted to go there man! anyway maybe you dont know this but, (this is kinda long, but i suggest you read this now before later. this is an excerpt off a book i own called "the principles of correct practice for guitar" id suggest you get this, its real nice and may solve ALOT of problems and had answers to all of my questions.)

click on em to make em larger

to sum it all up, practice slowly the right way, and you'll be able to get em right no matter how fast you do them.

i dont know if you know this or not, but when fret a string, put the finder right behind the fret to stop all the buzzing. putting the finger in the center will cause you to press down alot harder and still not guaranteed a good non-buzz sound. so put your finger right behind the fret ahead of you.
that also makes chords sound better.

anyway welcome to the world of guitars. you'll soon find out guitarists are nice people that just wanna make good music or their life sucks so they get by by playing music. so we're all nice people that wanna help. if you got a question that you cant find any answers to, this is the best place to come looking for answers. good luck and by the way, my fingers hurt like hell when i first got guitar. my advice is: START WITH HEAVY GAUGE STRINGS TO BUILD CALLUCES FASTER THEN GO INTO LIGHTER GAUGES IF YOU WANT. YOU'LL FIND THAT LIGHTER GAUGED STRINGS ALLOW YOU TO PLAY FASTER THAN HEAVY, BUT THEYRE NOT MUCH HELPFUL FOR A DEVELOPING GUITARIST.
and by the way, playing guitar helps your typing :D
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.