Dimebag Darrell

pogohead
pogohead
12/07/2005 1:43 pm
Don't know how many people know, but tomorrow (8th of December) will be the one year anniversary of Dimebag's death.

Roughly 5 years ago I wen't to see Pantera in Manchester. The gig was fantastic and afterwards a large group of us went around the back so that we could meet the band.

When the band came out, they all took time to go around and sign autographs and to talk to the fans. Though some (Phil Anselmo in particular) were arrogant, Dimebag was a genuinely warm and friendly person. He stopped to discuss music, he thanked us for coming and hoped we'd enjoyed the concert. I told him I was trying to play 'Cemetary Gates' and couldn't quite get the harmonics at the end. He stood there for the next 10 minutes and gave me an in-depth lesson. He even let me feel his pink beard for luck!

His death touched me on a personal level because meeting him let me know that there are some rockstars out there that you can aspire to be without having to develop an attitude to go with it, and has since been the most important guitar influence in my life.

My thoughts will be with Vinnie and the rest of his family tomorrow.

R.I.P. Darrell :)
# 1
stackny
stackny
12/07/2005 2:15 pm
RIP Dimebag
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 2
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
12/07/2005 6:04 pm
Wow...dimebag gave u a personal lesson. What a nice guy. I don't think many people would take time out to do that...and apparently he did things like this all the time. I heard he used to give away free guitars and amp heads to some fans that got to meet him. He was a good man and a fine guitar player. He is definetely missed.

They say that no one is irreplecable. That's bull****...Dimebag is irreplaceable!
# 3
alucard0941
alucard0941
12/08/2005 2:09 am
Originally Posted by: pogohead He even let me feel his pink beard for luck!

that is awesome :cool: :cool:
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/08/2005 2:51 am
I consider Dime to be the patron saint of Metal.

"Did you understand that? 'Course not! Dime-bonics!"
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
12/08/2005 3:22 am
That tragedy is what caused me to come upon this site to begin with (posting for the 1st time on this thread). He's still one of my heros for sure!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 6
contrymtalfreak
contrymtalfreak
12/08/2005 3:53 am
HEY GUY'S I'M FROM DALLAS TEXAS DIMEBAG AND HIS BROTHER VINNIE OWN A TITTY CLUB DOWN HERE IN TEXAS AND THEY USED TO COME TO A CLUB HERE IN DALLAS CALLED THE GALAXIE CLUB HIM AND DIME USED TO HANG OUT ALL THE TIME AND WE WENT TO A VIP PARTY VINNIE WAS HAVING AT THE CLUB HOUSE AND SO WE WENT UP THERE AND WE USED TO SEE VINNIE ALL THE TIME AT THE GALAXIE SO THEY WERE LIKE COME ON IN AND DIME HANDED ME THE HALF GALLON OF JACK AND VINNIE GOT ALL PISSED OFF AND SAID MAN THATS MY FU...ING JACK MAN TO ME AND DIME SAID LEAVE THIS FU...ING DUDE ALONE HIM AND HIS HOMIES ARE COOL AS ICE AND VINNIE GRABBED THE JACK OUT OF MY HAND AND I HAD A BEER IN MY HAND SO I SMASHED IT ON MY HEAD AND VINNIE THREW ME OUT AND DIME BAG STOOD UP FOR ME AND SAID F..K OFF VINNIE THESE DUDES ARE WITH ME DIME WAS THE COOLEST MOTHERF.....I EVER MET IN MY LIFE.RIP DIME WE LOVE YOU AND WE MISS YOU!!!! :mad:
# 7
scarface84
scarface84
12/08/2005 6:43 am
I love his outro solo in floods... :o

Btw, how did he die, i heard he was murdered?
# 8
binfordtools
binfordtools
12/08/2005 1:39 pm
Whoa - I just realized that Dec. 8 was also the day John Lennon was killed.

I'm sure most of you already came to this conclusion, but it's weird anyway.

Stupid ass deranged fans. I say, hang em by the Jimmy’s!
"I'm a rocker dude through and through. I like Van Halen, not Van Hagar" - Joe Dirt
# 9
stackny
stackny
12/08/2005 4:16 pm
Originally Posted by: scarface84I love his outro solo in floods... :o

Btw, how did he die, i heard he was murdered?

Yes, the outro to Floods is friggin awesome. And yes, he was murdered. Shot on stage by a crazed fan.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 10
alucard0941
alucard0941
12/08/2005 11:15 pm
what ever happend to the murdur?
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 11
16andlifetogo
16andlifetogo
12/08/2005 11:59 pm
Originally Posted by: stacknyYes, the outro to Floods is friggin awesome. And yes, he was murdered. Shot on stage by a crazed fan.

humm, i dont know if you could call him a fan... :confused:
Later in the evening
As you lie awake in bed
With the echoes from the amplifiers
Ringing in your head
You smoke the day's last cigarette
Rememb'rin' what she said
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI'm a super hero. It's what I do.
# 12
pogohead
pogohead
12/09/2005 12:37 am
ok, heres the story as i know it.

a deranged fan called nathan gale used to pump up to pantera. they split up and phil anselmo went on to say it was dimebag's fault. the kid (who had mental problems and whose mother said 'if your grades pick up i'll buy you a gun' :rolleyes: ) got pissed off and shot dimebag at pointblank range. the police come in and shot him dead on site after he'd shot at about 4 others.

i've been drinking in honour of dimebag tonight. i never ever drink whiskey but tonight i'm going for it. i'm really drunk (my typings not failing cos i'm a professional typist so it's easy for me).

ps. my friends did a tour of america last year. they went to the clubhouse (dime and vinnies strip bar). they got a private lapdance and the guitarist managed to bone one of the strippers! they brought me back a golf ball. i guess i'm grateful ;)

pps. the outro to 'floods' is my fav piece of pantera music ;)
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.