View post (Dimebag Darrell)

View thread

pogohead
pogohead
12/07/2005 1:43 pm
Don't know how many people know, but tomorrow (8th of December) will be the one year anniversary of Dimebag's death.

Roughly 5 years ago I wen't to see Pantera in Manchester. The gig was fantastic and afterwards a large group of us went around the back so that we could meet the band.

When the band came out, they all took time to go around and sign autographs and to talk to the fans. Though some (Phil Anselmo in particular) were arrogant, Dimebag was a genuinely warm and friendly person. He stopped to discuss music, he thanked us for coming and hoped we'd enjoyed the concert. I told him I was trying to play 'Cemetary Gates' and couldn't quite get the harmonics at the end. He stood there for the next 10 minutes and gave me an in-depth lesson. He even let me feel his pink beard for luck!

His death touched me on a personal level because meeting him let me know that there are some rockstars out there that you can aspire to be without having to develop an attitude to go with it, and has since been the most important guitar influence in my life.

My thoughts will be with Vinnie and the rest of his family tomorrow.

R.I.P. Darrell :)