so called "renting music" versus buying

THEsageADVISORs
THEsageADVISORs
08/04/2005 2:17 pm
not sure if this is old ground but .........

some people get really ticked at the idea of "renting" music. ie napster, rhaspody, (in canada puretracks)

1) having a monthly listening subscription gives you the ability to fully preview the whole song as many times as you want before you decide to buy it. if i could afford to buy a lot of music I think full song preview would help me buy only what i was convinced I really loved. old school was hear 1 or two songs on the radio and buy a $15 - $20 cd and hate 10 songs on it.

2) if your budget is limited you can keep up with new stuff and listen to many, many of your favourites full song on demand for less than cost of one cd a month

3) some sites give you a discount on buying music if you have a listening subscription

i don't have c.c. available so i can't use napster.ca like i want. even with paypal you need a c.c. on file with paypal so i use puretracks.com and pay with paystone.com for $9.61 with tax i can listen to loads of music new and old. if i had a compatiable mp3 player i would try harder to find a way to get napster to go.

i don't want to spend heaps of money on music so less than one cd a month for all i get is a good deal for me. IMHO
http://www.david-darlene.homepage.nu
# 1
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
08/04/2005 3:20 pm
I still get my music the ol' fashioned way. Download it! :D
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 2
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
08/04/2005 4:30 pm
I like buying CDs. My wallet is almost completely full and it houses nothing but genuine CDs. I do owe downloading some gratitude for that though, since I learned about a lot of the bands in my wallet through downloading. But I buy my stuff the legit way.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 3
THEsageADVISORs
THEsageADVISORs
08/04/2005 6:10 pm
if i can only afford one cd to own a month i would rather enjoy streaming/renting 1,000 cd's . why buy something i will stop using in 2-3 years and sell at a garage sale for $1.00

i compare "renting" music for $10 a month to going to a theatre $8.50 or more for 2 hours or less and I don't own the movie

money get's spent on drugs and booze for a temporary high. then what are you left with? withdrawl? (i am not drug user)
http://www.david-darlene.homepage.nu
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
08/04/2005 9:47 pm
I dunno, I still buy cds, but I'm not totally against getting it off the internet... what I do though, is I go on yahoo, set up my own radio station, then I hear about bands through there, and then I go out and buy their cds
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 5
SPL
SPL
08/04/2005 10:30 pm
It think it's an excellent alternative for those with limited funds or fleeting tastes in music.

Personally I definitely prefer buying cds.
# 6
sigment frued
sigment frued
08/05/2005 3:10 pm
i think downloading cool, but it feels a whole lot better when you have that c.d in your hand :)
cowardice lies beneath the skin,
through your you see power love peace,
i see betrayal hate a grudge flourished through time.

then comes the solo
www.siroccoband.com
# 7
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
08/05/2005 5:26 pm
I prefer bittorrent. CDs are nice, but it's much cheaper to just download dozens of albums for free.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 8
whittysx
whittysx
08/05/2005 8:10 pm
That's the first I've every heard of renting music. It sounds kind of strange, but you're paying for it...so I guess it's alright.

For a while I bought complete albums off of iTunes. I missed having CDs though. I'll just use iTunes to find new music and buy single songs now. Buying it off of iTunes was cheaper, but I still prefer CDs.
# 9
quickfingers
quickfingers
08/05/2005 10:11 pm
one of my favorite things to do is to go on windows media player, just listen to some of their radio stations they have on there if im feeling bored of the same old bands. granted, its not the greatest source probbaly, but ive fallen in love with quite a few bands because of that ****. found some rad flaminco artists too.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 10
mike&theblues
mike&theblues
08/06/2005 8:23 pm
Downloading is a great way to broaden your horizons as practiclly anything can be found on the internet, i will often hear of a band from friends/music boards etc that people reccomend.

So i will usually run a search for them listen to a few tracks if I like what I am hearing, then I will go out and buy there stuff.

If I dont like what I heard there's no big loss.

I realise there's a bunch of people who don't agree with the downloading music thing especially through the free sites, but i belive there are quite a few bands out there, that wouldn't of had the esposure/success they have if it wasn't for people sharing there music online and thus spreading the word.

As for rentals this must be a fairly new thing? but will work to pretty much the same effect if you like the music you are renting, you will more inclined to go out and buy there stuff and support the artist/band in the traditional manor.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.