Offensive language

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/23/2005 7:09 pm
I was just about to bring up that chart!
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 1
**rodney**
**rodney**
07/23/2005 7:28 pm
hello everybody
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
07/23/2005 8:13 pm
Hello, and welcome to the forum.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
t_shirtsnjeans
t_shirtsnjeans
07/23/2005 8:21 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiYou're pretending it still happens here on a significant level. If the majority found christianity to be offensive do you think we would still have 'under god' in our pledge? Do you think the issue of gay marriage would even still be debated? Do you think stem cell research would be illegal?

I don't feel like getting in a debate over what "real" christians are. The actual statistic is that 76% of the Unites States is christian. If you disagree with that you should do your own survey instead of just pretending like it's wrong because it disagrees with your narrow and unjustified view of the world.

I hate to break it to you, but christianity is the largest religion in the world. Two billion people is not a persecuted minority, it's a superpower.

#1. "Under God" is under fire.
#2. 'Gay marriages' are still being pushed to be legalized
#3. The stem cell research is being persued regardless of 'laws'
#4. "Real" Christians? That's what I was saying, what are 'real' Christians?
#5. '76%' is just a statistic
#6. 'Narrow and unjustified view', hmmm, so who is on the offensive?
#7. 'Two billion' out of almost 7 billion, still rings of minority, even if those numbers aren't quite up to actual true Christians.

Anyone see the irony?

Thank you.
# 4
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/23/2005 8:32 pm
Originally Posted by: t_shirtsnjeans

Wait a minute, I'm a little confused. Are you saying this is anti-Christian?
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 5
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
07/23/2005 8:56 pm
#1. "Under God" is under fire.

Under fire? A couple people have b*tched about it, but it's never been a serious issue. It would have been discarded a long time ago without a christian majority supporting it.

By a minority. If there was no christian majority homosexuality would probably not even be a significant subject for debate.

#3. The stem cell research is being persued regardless of 'laws'

"Laws"? What's with the quotes?

It would be legal except for an ignorant christian majority who doesn't know anything about science. The legalization of stem cell research would save lives.

#4. "Real" Christians? That's what I was saying, what are 'real' Christians?

Watch your ego. It's not your place to say who is and isn't a real christian.

#5. '76%' is just a statistic

Just a statistic? The word you're looking for is "reality".

#6. 'Narrow and unjustified view', hmmm, so who is on the offensive?

You started this argument by begging to be attacked for your beliefs. Because I have a deep personal hatred of christianity, I thought it would be appropriate to oblige.

Your view that christians are a persecuted minority is unjustified in that christianity is the largest and most powerful religious group both in the United States and in the world. Your beliefs are narrow in that you are deliberately ignoring reality.

#7. 'Two billion' out of almost 7 billion, still rings of minority, even if those numbers aren't quite up to actual true Christians.

It's the largest, wealthiest, and most politically powerful group. That's pretty stupid of you trying to weight christianity against everything else in one united block.

Anyone see the irony?

Wake up and smell the ignorance.

This thread just got way off topic and I'm getting the feeling that it's about to get locked. If you want to continue this discussion it would probably be better to email me or start a new thread so this one doesn't go down in flames.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 6
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
07/23/2005 9:29 pm
I find it hard to hate Christians. This may be because I was raised a Catholic, and I'm still kind of leaning to Catholicism as my main religion. But most of the view in which Christians believe aren't that bad. There's some dumb stuff like the verses against homosexuality. But The Bible was written for simpler people in a simpler time. Just those who translate everything too literally, there comes the problem. Also, Jesus never said anything (in the bible) against homosexuality.
I dislike a bunch of people some of them are christians, some are islaamic, and one is even buddhist (god I hate that lady, I hope she burns in hell). You can't just a person by their religion, but rather you have to look into their character and personal beliefs.

# 7
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
07/23/2005 10:17 pm
The problem is where does one draw the line between what should be taken literally and what shouldn't?
-A.H.
# 8
t_shirtsnjeans
t_shirtsnjeans
07/24/2005 12:15 am
Sooooo, are MY words offensive, even though there are no 'profane' words?

See my point? Things are offensive, even words, and yep, they can sure start an argument.

And Hamburgerbubbi, I don't care if the thread is locked or not.

Just 'words'.
# 9
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/24/2005 1:47 am
Originally Posted by: iihollyBut The Bible was written for simpler people in a simpler time. Just those who translate everything too literally, there comes the problem.

EXACTLY! Although some of us may not realize it, times [U]have[/U] changed since the centuries ago these events were written. Unless the religion can be updated to fit the times, how can we take everything in it literally? I'm a faithful Christian, but that doesn't mean I think everything's right about Christianity.

Was Martin Luther a Christian? When he distributed his 95 Theses in 1517, he shocked the Christian world - yet he managed to start a whole new branch of the religion! He showed us that we didn't need to listen to everything the Church said to be Christians. Why did he say that? Because at this time, the Church was becoming corrupt, with Friars such as Johann Tetzels selling indulgences. As the time changed, the religion needed to be changed as well.

Centuries later, we have had no major change. Unlike, say, our government, which has the potential to change everyday, the Bible cannot simply have a section erased. But unless the religion is fitted with the times, some parts of it should not be taken literally, in my opinion.
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 10
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
07/24/2005 1:56 am
Originally Posted by: t_shirtsnjeansSooooo, are MY words offensive, even though there are no 'profane' words?

No, your words are just words. I only find ignorance offensive.

See my point? Things are offensive, even words, and yep, they can sure start an argument.

Words have no more meaning than what they're given. Words are never any more offensive than what one reads into them or associates them with.

And Hamburgerbubbi,

Just "Hammi" will do.

I don't care if the thread is locked or not.

That's because you're a selfish prick. Some of us here actually care about discussing the original subject, which is a lot harder to do in a locked thread.
-A.H.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.