Offensive language

Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
07/19/2005 4:35 pm
Originally Posted by: t_shirtsnjeansGo ahead and use profanity, it'll make you like look like the idiot like that uses other like useless like words.

Unlike inexplicably inserting "like" after every word of a sentence, "profane" words can modify, express various emotions (as opposed to merely hesitation and uncertainty), and add an element of humour. If I say "Aw jeez, it's raining again." I sound dissapointed. If I say "It's raining again. F***." It gives the reader a sense of utter contempt, dejection, and bitterness, all with one word. A combination of syllables means nothing, words cannot hurt anyone. It is HOW these words are used that can hurt people. If I say to my dog "Kill!" and it has been trained to respond to that word in a violent manner, it will. If it has been trained to respond to the word "pillow" in a violent manner, it will. Were I to scream profanity at a person in an angry tone "ahhh **** you, you ****ing dumbass! Don't you know where your god damn going, you piece of ****!!!?" Obviously that would be inappropriate. If my friend said to me "Dude, I totally found a twenty-dollar bill" and I responded with "Oh **** YOU!" It wouldn't be at all out of line. Even if my language WEREN'T profane, for example, "What are you, retarded?" "Move it, jackass!" or "Women can't drive, and black people are cretins whose only strength lies in armed robbery," my words could be hurtful, not because each word individually aims to offend, but because the concept as a whole, when uttered to the right people, will shock the hearers and damage their self-esteem. In the same way, if I said "****" entirely without context, it would be nigh on meaningless. However, if I said "**** you, I hate you. You disgust me you ****ing milquetoast prick." THAT is insulting. Hurtful and offensive language doesn't lie in the words you say, it's found in your context and aim to insult.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 1
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
07/19/2005 6:05 pm
I'm offended by curse words. :(

# 2
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
07/19/2005 8:27 pm
yea i agree that there is a right time and place for them but younger people wouldn't know when it is and neither do some older people. Thats why there is so much censorship because if the wrong people hear it they think "hey thats a cool word i should use it more often" then they'll start swearing at friends teachers and their parents. I'm sure the average person wouldn't be offended if someone says "f***" out of nowhere but most people would be offended it you say "hey, f*** you". At least thats what i think....
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/19/2005 8:35 pm
I am not offended by much bad language, but there are certain things that really bother me...only racist terminology...I cant stand that...the "K-word" in South Africa is still used by lots of white South Africans...the moment I hear it, I just politely remove myself from conversation with the speaker(hopefully never to return)...strangely this is almost the only word I find offensive...I guess it is because the sting of many racist terms has been numbed by the group they refer to...but not the "K-word"(I just cant say or type it...hopefully u all know what I am talking about).
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 4
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
07/19/2005 8:37 pm
I have this idea that there is a connection between profanity and flaming.

If you allow profanity, people somehow act worse than if you don't allow profanity. Maybe it is because the profanity filter makes people think about their own behavior a little bit.

In real life, there are controls in place (social mores, employment, cops) that enforce certain speech and behavior. On the web, that isn't always so. Maybe the profanity filter moves people toward one form of behavior and away from another.

This conversation makes me think of the difference between the conversations you have in a coffee place and the conversations you have in a bar.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
07/19/2005 9:01 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew SaI am not offended by much bad language, but there are certain things that really bother me...only racist terminology...I cant stand that...the "K-word" in South Africa is still used by lots of white South Africans...the moment I hear it, I just politely remove myself from conversation with the speaker(hopefully never to return)...strangely this is almost the only word I find offensive...I guess it is because the sting of many racist terms has been numbed by the group they refer to...but not the "K-word"(I just cant say or type it...hopefully u all know what I am talking about).

wtf is the K word? The only disparaging word I can think of that begins with a "K" references Jews.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 6
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/19/2005 9:24 pm
I hoped this would not happen...I dont know if it used extensively by anyone other than racist South Africans hey, so it may actually mean nothing to you...but growing up in a liberal household, it is word I HATE! I think it was initially a muslim term for any "non-believer". but somehow it was adapted to mean "black person"...ok, here it is...I feel like I should be wispering...Kaffir...ok, I said it....now no-one get mad please!
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/19/2005 9:26 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew SaI hoped this would not happen...I dont know if it used extensively by anyone other than racist South Africans hey, so it may actually mean nothing to you...but growing up in a liberal household, it is word I HATE! I think it was initially a muslim term for any "non-believer". but somehow it was adapted to mean "black person"...ok, here it is...I feel like I should be wispering...Kaffir...ok, I said it....now no-one get mad please!

I've never heard of that one before.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 8
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
07/19/2005 9:35 pm
I've never heard that word before in my life. It's amazing how you have to be conditioned to understand the context of any word.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 9
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/19/2005 9:36 pm
thought you might not have...I dont think it is used outside of South Africa really...but it is really so bad because of what it represents and did represent in the apartheid era...and it hasnt been numbed by ibonics etc (like "******" has) it is just digusting! I am unable to explain how much I despise that word!
# 10
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/19/2005 10:02 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI've never heard of that one before.

You've never seen Lethal Weapon 2?

Damn.

I feel old.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/19/2005 10:21 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovYou've never seen Lethal Weapon 2?

Damn.

I feel old.

What's lethal weapon 2? Yes, that's a joke.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 12
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/20/2005 12:33 am
Originally Posted by: Andrew SaKaffir

It's basically the African equivelent of our "N" word, which has, awfully, been used as a racial slur for African-Americans.

I just don't see why the world needs profane language. In my mind, it's a simple question of morality, more than anything.

Many, many years ago, so I've been told, it was considered extremely rude for a gentleman to wear a hat in a public building, such as a town hall, a school, library, etc... Of course, things have changed since then. Now people think that's ridiculous.

But if we keep going on like we are now, the same things will happen with our profane language. We may think it's rude or "profane," but our next generation will think that we are being completely ridiculous. It will be a sad day when I hear, say, a 5-year old, dropping the F-bomb.

I just don't see why you wouldn't want to sound more sophisticated.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 13
fretboarddragon
fretboarddragon
07/20/2005 12:37 am
I'm totally falling into agreement with the "time and place" thing. When I meet someone for the first time, I talk very civilized and watch how the conversation develops. If the other person starts using profanity, I loosen up and use the minor ones, that way he/she might feel a little more comfortable instead of maybe thinking "I wonder if this swearing bothers him?" Then again, they probably don't care or they wouldn't be doing it in the first place. But I'm going to tell you right here and now....I'm a truck driver, and I INVENT new curse words every day. If the general public could hear some of the conversations I have on the CB radio, parents would be poking their kids' eardrums out with sharp objects to alleviate the pressure.
Now, when I come to a place like this that specifically asks for no profanity, I don't consider it a violation of my right to free speech. They're asking a small favor...please be polite and respectful, and I do just that. I can make your ears bleed in half a sentence, but is it necessary? No. Why do I do it then? Good question. Nobody ever commends me on my skillfull weaving of profane tapestries. Just a bad habit, I guess.
For a quick snack, picks is good eatin'
# 14
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/20/2005 2:21 am
Originally Posted by: The AceIt's basically the African equivelent of our "N" word, which has, awfully, been used as a racial slur for African-Americans.

I just don't see why the world needs profane language. In my mind, it's a simple question of morality, more than anything.

Many, many years ago, so I've been told, it was considered extremely rude for a gentleman to wear a hat in a public building, such as a town hall, a school, library, etc... Of course, things have changed since then. Now people think that's ridiculous.

But if we keep going on like we are now, the same things will happen with our profane language. We may think it's rude or "profane," but our next generation will think that we are being completely ridiculous. It will be a sad day when I hear, say, a 5-year old, dropping the F-bomb.

I just don't see why you wouldn't want to sound more sophisticated.

Well, that's where the opinion really takes a deeper impact. Some people really just don't care to be sophisticated. I'll be sophisticated, but leisure. Some friends of mine just don't care at all about being like that. It's not a personality they wish to be. Keep in mind that some of them are some of the smartest people I know in their age range (all of which are about a year younger than me). They just don't have any concern for that kind of lifestyle and for that I support them. If it works, don't fix it, right?

Hulk Smash!!

# 15
t_shirtsnjeans
t_shirtsnjeans
07/23/2005 5:49 am
Anyone in the KKK?

Three little words put together, heck, just three letters, all the same, do you suppose those are offensive?

I'm finding that if I give my Christian views on things regardless what they are I am being offensive by sharing my beliefs.

Sit back and watch. Someone's gonna say something about what I just wrote. Christianity is very offensive to most of the human population, but I am a Christian. Any objections?

(btw, the first sentence is just an example of something very offensive to me.)
# 16
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
07/23/2005 7:58 am
Originally Posted by: t_shirtsnjeansSit back and watch. Someone's gonna say something about what I just wrote. Christianity is very offensive to most of the human population, but I am a Christian. Any objections?

What's up with the persecution complex? Something like three quarters of the population of the United States is christian and you guys have been the most politically powerful group in the west since about 300ad. You can stop pretending like you're still being fed to the lions already.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 17
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/23/2005 3:07 pm
Originally Posted by: CW14I actually find people who use excessive profanity rather ridiculous. They can't think of anything remotely imaginative to say so they fill their sentences with ****. I only use words like that when I'm trying to strongly emphasize something (or if I'm ticked off)

Unlike the person who might be using excessive profanity to strongly emphasize a lot of things they say.

Hulk Smash!!

# 18
t_shirtsnjeans
t_shirtsnjeans
07/23/2005 5:00 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiWhat's up with the persecution complex? Something like three quarters of the population of the United States is christian and you guys have been the most politically powerful group in the west since about 300ad. You can stop pretending like you're still being fed to the lions already.

Exactly, persecution, but I'm not having a complex about it. 3/4ths? Nah, just a minority are actually Christians, most others claim to be, and then there are the countries that claim buddha, mohammad(?), cows, etc, and that covers about 8/9ths of the world's population.

But like I said, it's offensive.
# 19
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
07/23/2005 6:57 pm
Originally Posted by: t_shirtsnjeansExactly, persecution, but I'm not having a complex about it.

You're pretending it still happens here on a significant level. If the majority found christianity to be offensive do you think we would still have 'under god' in our pledge? Do you think the issue of gay marriage would even still be debated? Do you think stem cell research would be illegal?

3/4ths? Nah, just a minority are actually Christians, most others claim to be,

I don't feel like getting in a debate over what "real" christians are. The actual statistic is that 76% of the Unites States is christian. If you disagree with that you should do your own survey instead of just pretending like it's wrong because it disagrees with your narrow and unjustified view of the world.

and then there are the countries that claim buddha, mohammad(?), cows, etc, and that covers about 8/9ths of the world's population.

I hate to break it to you, but christianity is the largest religion in the world. Two billion people is not a persecuted minority, it's a superpower.

"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.