Music/lyrics?

Joseph
Joseph
04/16/2001 3:52 am
Writing lyrics can be rather difficult at times, and like any writing theres a free line between something working and not working. Of course anyone can write a song, but to write something and sincerely feel satisfied, (where you've accomplished something,) thats the true challenge of it all.

Of course as musicians, we write music all of the time, and we learn new tricks like theres no tomorrow. But what do you feel is more of a challenge, writing satisfactory lyrics or music? The type of words or sounds that you feel comfortable showing others..

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
04/16/2001 4:37 am

I think they're both equally difficult.

I've found that writing lyrics that don't sound cliched and boring is really hard, but no harder than writing a new chord progression and coming up with a melody.

The important thing, as you say, is to be satisfied with what we as musicians write. Beyond that, who cares what anyone else thinks of our music.
# 2
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/21/2001 1:35 am
Lyrics can be rather personal. I don't always write about my life, but I look on life from other people's perspective. But my girlfriend found a song that I have writen about a bad relationship and she got upset because she thought that it was about ours, so needless to say reading someone else's lyrics are very personal and it's like looking into someone's soul. At least that's the way I write.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 3
Joseph
Joseph
04/21/2001 4:49 am
Yes, I tend to start out writing from a characters perspective, but toward the end my words usually have something to do with my life and relationships from the past. With wriyting lyrics, (with enough practice) although we try to steer clear from our our personal lives, the pastr tends to sneak up on us..People don't always quite understand where we are coming from, thats why its hard to express our thoughts in words knowing that somone else will see it. But you have no idea how many note pads I have wrote in over the past several years, personally I wouldn't feel comfortable showing them to anyone, especially not my ex-girlfriend, because it was just my way of venting, and she wouldn't understand for the most part.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/21/2001 6:11 pm
I usually write about me, and it's definately not easy. It forces me to step back and look at myself honestly, and that can be a difficult thing to do- since I don't always like what I see. But I think it's all about expressing what I need to express, it's about healing.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
gannnong
gannnong
04/27/2001 5:03 pm
Lyric writing is way more difficult than writing music for it. I can come up with decent melody lines and chord arrangements. I can even hear harmony lines and drum patterns that work. But for me, lyrics are the hardest part. I'll come up with a really good chorus at times and stuggle to fill out the rest of the song. Other times the whole song comes to me at once. Other times I'll have a tap on some theme or idea but not be able to come up with any words to express it. I've heard that songwriting is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. To a large degree I think that's true.
# 6
playmyfender
playmyfender
04/27/2001 8:33 pm
the lyrics r ez and so is the music, getin them to fit is the hard part!
SiLVER says... go...play, you'll be famous one day!
# 7
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/28/2001 1:44 am
I hate to be a fence sitter but...
Don't you find that sometimes a lyric just comes to you, and all the words seem to flow, but it sits around waiting for a tune. Other days, you come up with a beautiful melody, chords, bass line, drum pattern, orchestration, and unplugged version etc, but you don't have the song to go with it. Needless to say, the lyricless music never fits with the tuneless words, that would be far to easy.
Most of the time though, it isn't even that easy. Writing lyrics that sound is a struggle, as is coming up with an original melody.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 8
stratman42
stratman42
04/28/2001 1:49 pm
Writng something from your own perspective is easy, youve just got to have an agenda. If you haven't, the best thing i find is to imagine someone elses perspective. I find music harder, but maybe thats just me. When i get better ill probably find it easier.
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 9
MajinMojo
MajinMojo
05/08/2001 12:21 am
The problem is I hate writing about myself because it feelins too personal, and i hate writing about other thigns because it feel so impersonal.

For me, music comes easier because I can just sit down with my band and in 5 min. or so we just belt out a tune.
# 10
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
05/08/2001 8:00 am
I only can write a song when I have the lyrics. Mostly the bass player write the lyrics. I must have a certain feeling with the text. So it's easier to come up with melodies etc.
I tried to write lyrics but i'm not good in it.
# 11
Phammer1980
Phammer1980
05/08/2001 9:46 pm
Sometimes it is a challenge to make either lyrics without a tune or to think of a tune and not have the lyrics for it. I used to always write the lyrics before the music. (Its a little easier for me to write the lyrics because of my poetic background) But i would forget the original plan everytime I played. I actually found more satisfaction playing before writing because as i am playing, I seem to get a picture of what I want in my head. Then I have to end up changing the lyrics because they were not as good as those before.

Its a see-saw battle. But I enjoy it.

Take Care God Bless

# 12
Joseph
Joseph
05/09/2001 4:09 am
I always write, (well at least for the most part) I write music and lyrics separately. I have several note pads piled up to the sky with unfinished passages etc, every now and then I pick a few lines here and there and add it to a melody that ive been working on, the rest usually takes care of itself. When it comes to writing music and lyrics, they can both be equally challenging, because we all get side tracked every now and then, and sometimes what seems like our best idea yet turns into rubbish. The trick is to never throw anything out, and to try and work within the moment, once a song is finished. I try not to dwell on the finished project, I just ask myself whether or not its good enough, and then I work on something else. Its safe to say that whether or not its music or lyrics, I'm always looking for a way to improve my work, which isnt always a healthy process. Because sometimes as we constantly try and re-work our songs, we end up steering clear from our original idea, and thats something that we definitely don't wan't to lose.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 13
MaxMcD
MaxMcD
05/15/2001 5:54 pm
I think lyrics are harder to write than music. but I think it has to do with the person. me for example, I can pick up a guitar and just start playing things that come in to my head. other people are good at poetry but suck at making music.
Max McDougall
# 14
Joseph
Joseph
05/16/2001 1:26 am
So thats why music is such a great form of expression, theres no need to explain how we feel and what starts these compositions, with our knowledge of music its nice to just let things flow. I'm not surprised that lyrics are more of a challenge for a lot of people, because even some of the best writers in the world have trouble writing satisfactory lyrics.. But when it all comes down to it, its all about practice and learning to trust yourself.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.