That crucial riff...

Joseph
Joseph
04/13/2001 2:21 am
We all start somewhere, can you remember that very important guitar riff that inspired you to pick up the guitar? The type of music we are exposed to at a very young age tends to resurface years later, where we can't deny how string our impulses were back then...

As far as I can remember, Ive always been fascinated by the electric guitar, and it wasn't just the pretty colors, (ever since I was five years old and I heard my first Zeppelin records I was hooked. And when you're young you tend to ask millions of questions when you're very interested, and when the grown ups got tired of answering you, we headed to the library. At the time I was listening to Zeppelin, so it was probably something like Black Dog Or Rock And Roll, those riffs inspired me in more ways than one because they were so powerful, and when we experience such power we wan't to create our own. Ive always loved the hard stuff, and that was a great driving force in the very beginning. But before I even touch an electric guitar, I practiced a nylon acoustic day and night.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/13/2001 2:46 pm
Guitar has always been an interest of mine too. My dad's plays, and I would sit around and listen to him play the Allman Brothers, Skynyrd, Hendrix, and stuff like that. Anyway, I would get into his music collection and just listen to these bands with incredible guitarist, "Sweet Home Alabama" was an incredible inspiration song, I don't know what about it, but something just caught me, and "One Way Out" by the Allman Brothers, I had to learn that riff. And then I set out on my musical journey.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 2
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/13/2001 9:06 pm
Ever since I was about 4 or 5 ive always wanted to play electric guitar. its only recently acoustic interested me. My friends brother palyed guitar and I always thought it was cool. Hearing Foxy lady and Bohemian Rhaposdy in Waynes World inspired me I got lessons but gave up. Then I dug up my dads old records and found a Thin Lizzy album. One listen to Whiskey In The jar and I was hooked.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 3
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
04/23/2001 11:40 am
I started playin at the age of nineteen, when i first bought my electric guitar my parents found it terrible. I was listening to Deep Purple and that was a great influence, riffs like smoke on the water and child in time were really great, also Black Sabbath was great. New wave I liked also, The Cure, the Sound. Nowadays It's mostly rock orientated.
I was not lucky to have parents who gave me lessons etc. so I had to do it on my one. Nowadays it's much easier for children to go to music. My three kids all got music lessons but they won't play anything nowadays. (what did i do wrong?.
# 4
blackrose
blackrose
04/23/2001 8:23 pm
How I got started playing was by making a bad economical desicion. I was going to a guitar store with my brother (he plays bass) and I saw an old epi for sale at $125 and I bought it just for the heck of it, just for the sake of spending money. My sister taught me a few chords and I fell in love with it ever since. Of course, now my guitar is practically worthless being so old and in such bad shape, but I'm to emotionally attached to it to trade it in or sell it, and at least it still plays.:)
# 5
Joseph
Joseph
04/23/2001 10:45 pm
Originally posted by Martin Spaans

I was not lucky to have parents who gave me lessons etc. so I had to do it on my one. Nowadays it's much easier for children to go to music. My three kids all got music lessons but they won't play anything nowadays. (what did i do wrong?. [/B]

Heh, I don't know man, sometimes they have that will, and sometimes they don't. Later on as the years progress if they really feel that music is important, they're come around. You just have to let them discover the magic that music has to offer on their own...Ide just hate to think that Limp Bizkit or Korn just might give them the fire to succeed,:eek: when there are so much more talented bands from the seventies that can really change their lives. But hey, whatever it takes to increase their enthusiasm, because its one thing to listen to music but to create and develop your own style, thats something that could change your live forever.

Luckily when was growing up my mom had such a great selection of records, from The Stones, Zeppelin, The Beatles, you name it...She taught me theory at a very young age, I took panio lesson till it came out of my ears, but I'm greatful for the knowledge I recieved when I was younger, because it has definitely made me more of a confident musician today.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 6
donnie_k
donnie_k
04/27/2001 4:12 am
I can't remember any one song being the inspiration to play guitar.My dad had natural talent and was self taught. One of my friends in high school whose dad was in a band, had natural talent. I couldn,t seem to "hear" the notes or chords, so I would have him show me.I guess I was a little lazy.When I first started playing I was listening to early Van Halen, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, and it was a combination of these hard driving power chord riffs that caused me to want to play. And to be in a band because I thought that would be really cool.After high school I didn't play much, life kinda got in the way. It wasn,t until about 6 yrs. ago the interest came back. Bought a strat, amp, and rp3.I am by no means a professional, but I try to play as often as possible and learn as much as I can and experimenting with my pedal. My guitar is a good source for stress relief, after a hard or bad day I take it out on my guitar, somtimes I think some good stuff comes out of it. Hope to share it with everyone some day.See ya later abd keep on playin'.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.