Ahhhhh Help!!!!!

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/28/2004 1:34 am
so I got some strings yesterday and I was putting them on today, and as I was trying to tune the strings I noticed that I had to turn the tuning pegs alot more than usual but I figured it was because I was using 12 gauge instead of 9 gauge like I had on before, and I would tune the strings and by the time I was done tuning the high e string I noticed the low E was out of tune alot, I figured this was due to the stretching that brand new strings need to go through, but it kept happening, also I noticed my action was really high, I finally looked at the bridge to see it actually coming out of the body!!! I loosened the strings and was able to push it most of the way back in but I'm scared that I might've permenently damaged my guitar, it was a cheap $150 dollar guitar but I still wouldn't be able to afford a new guitar for months, I wouldn't want my day old multi-effects pedal to get lonely. or my skills to atrophy. help, please, does this mean I need to have my guitar repaired? is this repairable? would it be worth it to repair a guitar that only originally cost only $150? I'm really scared right now please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/28/2004 3:52 am
eek
I'd probably suggest taking it to a guitar tech just to be sure.
If it's physically warping the wood upwards off the body of the guitar, ya have a real problem.
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/28/2004 4:09 am
I take it that the guitar has a floating trem ?

If so the answer is to tighten up the springs in the cavity in the back of the guitar and that will correct the position of the bridge.

If you don't have a trem system you are probably in a lot of trouble !!!

you could try searching "Floyd" "rose"or "trem" and "setup"
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/28/2004 4:28 am
Ouch... hopefully the guitar's got a whammy bar and so then the trem was just pulled up rather than detached from the body. If it's a hardtail (that is, the bridge is physically attached to the body; no springs in the back) then it was definitely a bad thing that happened.

Part of the problem is switching to 12 gauge strings. Cheaper guitars aren't generally built strong enough to withstand the added stress. Actually, you really shouldn't be jumping around gauges too much... maybe 10 or 11 if the guitar shipped with 9s.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/29/2004 5:32 am
no it's not warping the wood, i guess it's just the tremolo system coming out, my guitar didn't actually come with a whammy bar but it has a hole on the bridge for one, and it has the springs too, so if I get a whammy bar and/or tighten/loosten those springs in the back then I'm safe?
my spyspace
# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/29/2004 5:36 am
if you want to see my guitar go to http://ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=GRX40
it looks like that except with no whammy bar, but again it does have a slot on the bridge for a whammy bar.

actually although that is close to my guitar it does have a slighly different tremolo, to see my exact guitar go to http://ibanez.com/parts/2004_PARTS/el_guitar/index/index_spec.html
It'll probably tell you to install japanese fonts on your computer but just click on cancel a few times and it'll stop asking. anyway click on GAX/GRX/GSA/GRG series on the left bar. scroll down to GRX series and then scroll down to GRX 40. now click on BK next to china 2002, that is my exact guitar.
my spyspace
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/29/2004 2:09 pm
Click here for the answer to your problem
# 7
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/29/2004 3:08 pm
If you got your guitar from a guitar store (online or brick & mortar), go back and demand a whammy bar. If you bought it used, then you may or may not want to get a whammy bar from your local shop (shouldn't be too expensive).

Yeah, you'll need to tighten the springs, since you put on 12s. Again, consider whether the guitar can handle the added tension from the heavier gauges.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/29/2004 4:11 pm
worst case is having to add an extra spring or a hipshot, should be fine !
# 9
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/02/2005 12:44 am
ok so i tightened those 2 screws that those springs are connected to and it helped some. I now can play in C A C F A D tuning without the tremolo lifting out, but I can't play in standard tuning. any ideas? that floyd rose website said something about if you have 10 or 11 gauge strings then you should need 3 springs and more springs for higher gauges, well my guitar has 3 springs in the back, does it need more? and if it does are there different kinds of springs or are they pretty much universal for all guitars. thanks for your help.
my spyspace
# 10
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/02/2005 1:32 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsok so i tightened those 2 screws that those springs are connected to and it helped some. I now can play in C A C F A D tuning without the tremolo lifting out, but I can't play in standard tuning. any ideas? that floyd rose website said something about if you have 10 or 11 gauge strings then you should need 3 springs and more springs for higher gauges, well my guitar has 3 springs in the back, does it need more? and if it does are there different kinds of springs or are they pretty much universal for all guitars. thanks for your help.

When we play rock or metal, my rhythm guitarist plays a 24-fret ESP that has a floyd-rose. His has three springs (I know because I snapped one of them out once...oops, hahaha) but he plays on 9 gauges. That's right, NINES. I play HUGE 11s. Those Ernie Ball "Beefy Slinkies," so it's quite a change. Now obviously the thicker strings get a better tone and whatnot, but switching down to 11s or even 10s from 12s won't make that big a difference. Just switch to 11s and see if they work. Your fingers will probably thank you anyhow, hahaha!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.