no competition

munqy
munqy
09/01/2004 6:11 pm
Alright, to all those good guitarists out there, have you ever been too good for your own good? I recenlty played at talent show for my dorm and honestly speaking the toughest thing the guitarists here have ever played would be master of puppets by metallica. So what is a guitarist meant to do when his piece consists of every fancy thing he can muster to pummel the competition badly. Cuz thats exaclty what i did, i played some simplified metal song with a four minute solo with sweeps, squeels, tapping and neat timing changes but when everyone else was playing chords and singing ... for some reason i stood out. I dunno i felt bad for everyone else cuz i shouldv'e played something by megadeth and still would have won. I got asked alot like how'd i even begin to play like that and i told em that a group of us from highschool were listening to vai , satch and malmsteen since 8th grade so we'd teach ourselves to get to that level. But i just felt bad, like i don't have an amazing singing voice and those kids did and i could never sing along to a song, i was always to busy with playing scales all over the neck. So yes i won a plastic trophy but was not proud of it at all. Sometimes i should have more moral fibre and give my competition a break, and play at their level and still win, thats true competitiveness.

questions comments complaints?
real tyte bro \m/
# 1
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/01/2004 6:30 pm
Oh dear. So you're too good for yourself?
Wow that must be a pain in the ass.
Yes, you should start to play as poorly as you can, just smack
the fretboard with a fish or something, that should do the trick.
Now I'm gonna go watch TV and forget that I read this post.
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/01/2004 8:50 pm
Originally Posted by: mc9mmOh dear. So you're too good for yourself?
Wow that must be a pain in the ass.
Yes, you should start to play as poorly as you can, just smack
the fretboard with a fish or something, that should do the trick.
Now I'm gonna go watch TV and forget that I read this post.

My sentiments exactly. You've obviously put in plenty of time and energy developing your skill, you deserve the recognition.

Don't feel bad for the competition, tell them to get off their arses and start practicing.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
Digit
Digit
09/01/2004 9:07 pm
If you'd said you were really good cause you sign on to Guitar Tricks, I'd have been way more impressed with this post.
# 4
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
09/01/2004 9:41 pm
Yeah the same scenario happened with me, someone play "smells like teen spirit" And i played "Satch Boogie" and Evil Eye, which is Yngwie ( though witrh some of mistakes.). PWNED.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 5
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/01/2004 11:56 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiMy sentiments exactly. You've obviously put in plenty of time and energy developing your skill, you deserve the recognition.

Don't feel bad for the competition, tell them to get off their arses and start practicing.

Actually, I was very ironic.
These "Oh man I'm so good, everyone else sucks, what am I gonna do??"-posts...
...no need to be extremely humble, but whats this all about?
# 6
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/01/2004 11:59 pm
Even more so here. If you can play like the solo to "Crazy Train" you are instantly a guitar god here. After people saw "School of Rock" they were like, "That kid lead guitarist was insane!!! He's sooo good!" Then I'll bust some Di Meola or a befuddled version of Vai's Blue Powder...

The reaction is kind of like, "Oh......"

There are a ton of Nirvana heads here..... bla...
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 7
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/02/2004 12:03 am
I often wonder how nirvana made it out of their garage in the first place.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 8
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/02/2004 1:12 am
Originally Posted by: The AceEven more so here. If you can play like the solo to "Crazy Train" you are instantly a guitar god here. After people saw "School of Rock" they were like, "That kid lead guitarist was insane!!! He's sooo good!" Then I'll bust some Di Meola or a befuddled version of Vai's Blue Powder...

The reaction is kind of like, "Oh......"

There are a ton of Nirvana heads here..... bla...

That's not what I meant either.
I don't doubt his talent, just his manners.
# 9
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
09/02/2004 1:44 am
Was it a specifically a guitar challenge, or just a general talent show. As the hardcore guitarists we are, we must remind ourselves that not everyone is into our favorite guys. Sometimes it seems that our virtuosos aren't really accessible to the general public, y'know?
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 10
TheDirt
TheDirt
09/02/2004 1:47 am
At my latest dorm talent show, me and a couple friends wrote a really cheesy pop song, but played out instruments really well. It was the same type of style as most other people played, but with better showmanship and skill. We played what everybody else did, but better.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 11
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
09/02/2004 2:47 am
What kind of answer were you looking for when you posted this thread, other than "You deserve a pat on the back for being so damn good!"? Seriously, this board has to stop the egocentric bull****.

"Oh dear, I have a problem!"
-"What's that?"
"I'm better than everybody else!"
-"Oh dear!"

You wouldn't be on Guitartricks if you were better than everybody ele. Period.
Realize that when you complain to the mods, it won't be because I'm being a dick, but because I'm trying to bring you back to PLANET EARTH.

~Incidents
# 12
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
09/02/2004 3:19 am
if you dont like the bull**** then dont read it and dont respond to it..theres plenty of other message boards..
theres nothing but nirvana and nu metal people where I live..I mean I personally wouldnt paly a malmsteen solo for a competition because not everyone is into that stuff..Id probably pull out a feely solo or somthing or some travis picking on some chords...most people tend to like the simple stuff..but not all
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 13
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/02/2004 5:43 am
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenWhat kind of answer were you looking for when you posted this thread, other than "You deserve a pat on the back for being so damn good!"? Seriously, this board has to stop the egocentric bull****.

"Oh dear, I have a problem!"
-"What's that?"
"I'm better than everybody else!"
-"Oh dear!"

You wouldn't be on Guitartricks if you were better than everybody ele. Period.
Realize that when you complain to the mods, it won't be because I'm being a dick, but because I'm trying to bring you back to PLANET EARTH.

~Incidents

Your signature is really, really ironic.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
09/02/2004 6:30 am
thanks for changing the subject

~Incidents
# 15
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/02/2004 8:43 am
Ok... you guys have seriously got to start respecting the rules here at Guitar Tricks.

#1) Constantly circumventing or abusing the language filter by posting obscene language is definitely not allowed. Occasionally if it's part of a joke or if there's a specific purpose to getting a humorous point across it's fine ...up to a point.
But inciting anger or flaming someone with things like "bull****", or purposely altering the spelling of words like "f u * *" etc... is not allowed... period.
Replacing letters in obscene words that are obvious attempts to circumvent the language filter will get you banned.

#2) Saying outright that someone sucks or coming down on other members for their views... ie, trying to incite an argument or a flame attack is not allowed... period.

#3) Although it wasn't contained in this post, it has happened in the past.
There is no racism or other derogatory terms allowed at all....period

#4) Again, it wasn't contained in this post, but spamming the board or crossposting in several forums is not allowed...period

The general USENET rules apply here. If you can't follow them, don't post here.

The moderators at Guitar Tricks stay pretty much on top of this sort of thing and will edit, remove or lock posts that break the rules.
People who break the rules will at first be warned by email. Numerous breaking of the rules will result in a 30 day ban and possible outright cancellation of your account.
Yes you can probably just sign up under another name, but you will lose any seniority here and if we suspect who you are, we'll just ban you again.

As far as this thread goes, I've locked it because it's degenerated into a flame war and circumvention of the language filters.

When posting in the future...please be aware that this is a family board accesible by parents and their children and act accordingly. Also be aware that there are about 40 moderators including the instructors here who frequent this board on a daily basis and keep track of multiple offenders in the administrations section.
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.