The flavor of the month, or year for that matter...

Joseph
Joseph
02/14/2001 3:18 am
The music business is constantly affected by ever changing trends. This is especially true with guitar playing. One minute its cool to play fast, the next minute its not; one minute its cool to use effects, the next its not; one minute its cool to like classical, the next minute its not; one minute its cool to like Neil Young, etc. These trends don't have to and shouldn't affect you, but time and time again they do, (because to some extent its very important that the majority of listeners are willing to listen to what you have to offer.) What did it take for you to realize what was most important as being a musician, and have you ever felt the need to go with the flow in order to make things easier, (as well as the incoming cash at live shows?)

Most breakthrough players (Hendrix, Vanhalen, Beck, Page, were all going against the flow when they first appeared, and the reason they lasted is because of their determination as players.) Its obvious that alot of musicians today are very interested, but just don't have that strong will to succeed, by accepting all of the consequences that go along. For the most part, musicians choose to avoid those headaches, which seem unncessary.

-Joseph, :).
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
RAC5150
RAC5150
02/14/2001 6:43 pm
Yes, I agree with you. I have played two gigs, and one time, I got booed off the stage because they didn't like what I was playing. I play what I want to play, not what others want me to. Just do what you want to.
"Our attitude was, Let's not be lazy about it. Let's have something new to offer."
- Kirk Hammett, Guitar World September 2000.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.