neck scale

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/26/2004 7:15 pm
how is this measured? in other words, from what point to what point is measured to give you the necks scale? Also, is there much difference in string tension between a gibson style scale 24.75? and say a fender/PRS/etc. style scale 25.5? Is the feel noticably different? Which do you preffer?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/30/2004 5:47 pm
The 12th fret is the mid-point of the scale. It's usually easier to measure this distance than from the nut to the bridge, because an intonated bridge has slightly different lengths for each string.

The shorter scale length is easier to bend, but it gets a bit crowded in the higher register because the frets are very close together.

The longer scale length is easier to play up high, but it means making more of a stretch for chord work, and the string tension is noticeably higher.

I use massive D'Addario EJ21 string sets on my short-scale Yamaha SBG1000 guitars for really solid tone. I use D'Addario EXL110 string sets on my long-scale Wasburn A-20 and A-10 for easier playing up high.

Find what works for you. I consider anything less than .010" to be a spider web, not a proper guitar string. But then, I don't do a lot of shredding, so I need to make every note count. Don't worry about the string tension. Stevie Ray Vaughan used .012" strings on his Strats, and he pulled some amazing bends! Mind you, he built up his hand strength to the point that he was reputedly able to crush a tennis ball! :eek:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/01/2004 12:53 am
what point along the 12th fret? the nut side, bridge side, or center? Don't worry, I'm not thinking of doing anything crazy like making my own neck, but when I draw a guitar in autocad, I would like everything to be to scale when I make a template to carve model guitars. Personally, I'm quite fond of my PRS's neck scale, but then, I don't have much experience with shorter scale necks. I normally play with 10-52ga strings in standard and 11-12ga if tuned any lower. I know there's a formula that determans fret spacing because I've seen it some where, but don't remember where. Could someone enlighten me on what it is, or at least point me in the right direction to find it. Again, strictly for drawing purposes, because my woodworking skills aren't quite up to par yet. BTW, thanks LOTS you never cease to amaze me with your welth of guitar related knowledge. Thanks for all the help!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/01/2004 5:09 am
The formula is based on calculations posited by Pythagoras in ancient Greece, if I remember correctly. I may be wrong about which scholar did the original math, but the main thing is that they are theoretical spacings based on a formula that did not take into account the degree of sharpness added due to the increase in string tension as it is pulled down toward the fret. This discrepancy is particularly apparent at the frets nearest to the nut. This is why a guitar must be intonated to tune acceptably, and provides for Buzz Feiten and a few others to make a living out of selling compensated guitar nuts. (There's got to be a bad pun in there somewhere.!) :)

For your models, take the centre-line of the fret as your mid-scale. The simplest form of intonation involves adjusting the bridge saddle position until the harmonic at the 12th fret matches the note obtained by fretting the string at the 12th fret.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.