Use of scales, Keys etc

salari
salari
05/17/2004 3:25 pm
Hi,
I've been playing guitar for a few months now, and am self taught (just books, no lessons). This may sound like a bit of a spaz question, but what are the uses of scales? Are they used to construct riffs in a song? Also, how do I identify which key a song is in? I could do with just some basic tutorial on this.

Thanks
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/17/2004 5:42 pm
I call this one!

Yes, scales CAN BE used to construct riffs and solos in songs and very often are. Other tools at one's disposal are modes and arpeggios, but since you didn't ask about those, I won't discuss them. I'm not sure which scales you know and which you don't know, so here are a few basic scales in Am/Cmaj:

A natural minor
A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A

C major
C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

Am Pentatonic:
A-C-D-E-G-A

These scales can be used to construct hott lixx and whatnot. Anyhow, on to identifying key.

The key of a song is merely what notes and scales are available. To identify this, we must know the order of sharps and flats, which are as follows:

Sharps:
F-C-G-D-A-E-B
(Fat Cats Go Down Alleys Eating Babies [or Birds, take your pick])

Flats:
B-E-A-D-G-C-F
(Beatrice Eats All Dead Goat Child Fetuses [ok, that was kind of off the top of my head because it's just order of sharps in reverse])

This means that if a song has one sharp in the key signature, that sharp is F, if it has four sharps, they are F-C-G-D, get it? Oh, and you can't mix sharps and flats or the music theory gods will strike you down where you stand. The amount of sharps or flats in the key signature determines the key, and therefore, the scales and notes that are available to you. For instance, the Eminor scale contains one sharp, this means that the notes in the Em key signature are:

E-F#-G-A-B-C-D-E

Here's a quick rundown of key signatures check it out:

Cmaj/Am: no sharps, no flats

Gmaj/Em: 1 sharp

Dmaj/Bm: 2 sharps

Amaj/F#m: 3 sharps

Emaj/C#m: 4 sharps

Bmaj/G#m: 5 sharps

F#maj/D#m: 6 sharps

C#maj/A#m: 7 sharps

Fmaj/Dm: 1 flat

Bbmaj/Gm: 2 flats

Ebmaj/Cm: 3 flats

Abmaj/Fm: 4 flats

Dbmaj/Bbm: 5flats

Gbmaj/Ebm: 6 flats

Cbmaj/Abm: 7 flats

There you have it, those are the notes available or not available in any given key. From there you can determine what chords work and what scales to use.

That was AMAZING!!! Cigarette?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
TheWizard
TheWizard
05/18/2004 12:26 am
know the shapes of the modes

learn them across the entire fret board and you will easily be able to see what notes are in what keys and intervals and chord construction and all that fun stuff gets much easier
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 3
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
05/18/2004 10:37 pm
Learn the circle of fifths... and the order of sharps and flats, that will help you identify all the key signatures and relative keys.

http://www.carolinaclassical.com/scales/circle.html

That's a link to a site explaining it, just a quick site I found.

Looking at modes and learning their order would also be a good idea. If you know the circle of fifths and the order of modes it's easy to play in any mode in any key.

- J
# 4
DarkSoul(X)
DarkSoul(X)
05/23/2004 9:06 am
OK JollyMcJollyson, that made no sense to me what so ever. Maybe you can explain it to me simplier. Srry if i sound stupid!
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/24/2004 3:55 am
Originally Posted by: DarkSoul(X)OK JollyMcJollyson, that made no sense to me what so ever. Maybe you can explain it to me simplier. Srry if i sound stupid!

Okeedoke, quote exactly what you don't understand and I'll break it down. My explanation was a bit hurried and, as a result, somewhat incomprehensible.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.