Urgent!!!-- Broken truss rod!!!

the fool
the fool
05/08/2004 12:49 am
The guy fixing my guitar broke the truss rod of my guitar by accident. Sad thing is, it's my fave vintage LP that i recently got from my uncle that the dude busted. He's offering me to replace it but I don't want him to replace it given the intrinsic value and the many memories involved with the guitar. I just want him to fix the guitar- even if i have to pay for it (I know its expensive but I don't care!). Now what I want to ask is what is the best truss rod that I can put in a gibson les paul? There's a lot of truss rods out there such as Graphite reinforced adjustable truss rods, dual action truss rods etc. To all techies out there, which truss rod out there is the best and the strongest?
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/08/2004 3:32 am
He broke the truss rod?!?!?! :eek:

You don't want this ham-fisted fool inflicting further indignities on your axe! Take it to a [u]competent[/u] tech, and have the first guy agree to pay for it. He offered to replace your guitar because he doesn't know how to fix it! :mad:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
the fool
the fool
05/08/2004 5:57 am
I'm very angry too but can I do? what's done is done- nothing can bring it back. As long as he can have someone fix it (which he agreed to do), i guess i would be fine- although I am really pissed off. Anyways, since we're in the topic of truss rods, what kind of truss rod should i replace my lp with? What is the best and the strongest truss rod out there in the market?
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 3
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
05/08/2004 6:25 am
Originally Posted by: the foolI'm very angry too but can I do? what's done is done- nothing can bring it back. As long as he can have someone fix it (which he agreed to do), i guess i would be fine- although I am really pissed off. Anyways, since we're in the topic of truss rods, what kind of truss rod should i replace my lp with? What is the best and the strongest truss rod out there in the market?

Whatever you do, get it out of that guys hands. Take it to another shop, get an estimate and show it to him.

I don't understand how someone can be employed as a tech and break a truss rod. :eek:

Lord is right. Follow his instructions.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 4
alucard0941
alucard0941
05/08/2004 9:16 pm
Breaking your tuss is a big thing. What was wrong with the guitar in the first place. I mean, how can you break a tuss rod on accident???
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 5
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
05/09/2004 1:37 am
Did he forget which direction tightened it or something like that?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 6
the fool
the fool
05/10/2004 3:53 am
i really have no idea how he broke it. i guess he just turned it and it snapped. nothing's really wrong with the guitar when i brought it in. All i wanted was a good set up because i wanted to change my gauge from 11's to 12's then a week later when i went to get my guitar back- bam! i'm just informed that the truss rod was no more. i still can't get over it really. i really have nothing else going on with this life except for my guitars. and out of all the guitars in the world, and out of all the guitars that i own, it is very unfortunate that my beloved lp have to be the one to be screwed up at that moment- it really sucks. i'm just clinging towards that hope that it can be fixed and hopefully sound and feel like the old guitar it once was.

btw does anyone know anything about truss rods and what is the best truss rod that i can put in my guitar?

# 7
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
05/10/2004 1:33 pm
Hmmm... not sure if I've ever heard of a "best" truss rod.

This debacle didn't happen at Long & McQuade, did it? If not, there's a great guitar tech at the Keele & Steeles L&M, Darryl. He really knows his stuff and always gives you a little extra on top of what you paid for. Plus, he's always willing to take a couple minutes and talk about tech stuff, even when he's super busy (which is almost always).

If you want, I can give you the L&M phone #, I'm sure they'll take care of you!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 8
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
05/10/2004 6:01 pm
Just some general info on truss rods with diagrams-
http://warmoth.com/common/frames/guitarneck.htm Click on 'truss rods' in the menu on the left.

This site has a lot of good info, small section on repairing truss rods at the bottom.
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm

You can buy new truss rods from here-
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods.html

Hope that helps :)
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.