Do you a Floyd Rose is just a gimmick

alucard0941
alucard0941
04/26/2004 9:30 pm
Do you a Floyd Rose tremolo bridge is just a gimmick.

The reason is I am planning to buy a new guitar, preferably a Jackson. I have a choice of putting a Floyd Rose in it. Obviously, I have never played with one. Though I tried it out with the guitar and I just wanted to know . . . WHAT SPARATES A FLOYD ROSE FROM A REGULAR BRIDGE.

just wonderin . . . :p
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/27/2004 12:45 am
... guitars had fixed bridges, and if you wanted to play a note that was "between the frets", you had to bend the strings (or the guitar! :eek: ). So, the tremolo bridge was developed. This was originally intended to allow a guitar player to imitate the Hawaian sound that was usually only available with a laptop steel guitar. As the 50's music turned into Rockabilly and Rock'n'Roll, the trems were getting wanked around more aggressively, and tuning problems became an issue. Roller bridges, and roller nuts were tried as possible solutions, but it became apparent that the only way to keep the strings in tune was to lock them down solid at both the bridge and the nut. The most (arguably) successful design that took this approach was patented by Floyd Rose. There are now several variations and copies on the market, but they all have similar properties:

• The nut has some means of locking the strings so that they can't slip in the slots.
  • Instead of tightening or loosening the strings from the tailpiece, the strings are locked into a moveable bridge that tilts with the trem bar.
  • The setup involves a tricky balancing act. The string tension tries to pull the bridge so that the trem bar goes down toward the guitar body. The counter-springs pull the bridge the other way, trying to raise the trem bar.
  • [u]Any[/u] change in string tension, due to aging, different gauge, different tuning, the phase of the moon, or the wind direction (LOL), often means that the bridge has to be adjusted to compensate.

The good news is that once you get it set up, a properly installed set of strings will stay in tune quite well.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
04/27/2004 1:52 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings
  • [u]Any[/u] change in string tension, due to aging, different gauge, different tuning, the phase of the moon, or the wind direction (LOL), often means that the bridge has to be adjusted to compensate.

HAHAHA!!! That's funny right there.

I have an Ibanez RG570 with a Floyd and I love it. If you get it set up, you won't have any problems. Just make sure it's the ORIGINAL Floyd Rose, not a licensed one.

Good day!
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 3
Death55
Death55
04/27/2004 12:36 pm
Originally Posted by: Pantallica1HAHAHA!!! That's funny right there.

I have an Ibanez RG570 with a Floyd and I love it. If you get it set up, you won't have any problems. Just make sure it's the ORIGINAL Floyd Rose, not a licensed one.

Good day!

Are you saying that with an original floyd rose you dont have to mess with the bridge everytime you change the tuning or string gauge ?
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 4
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
04/27/2004 4:24 pm
Originally Posted by: Death55Are you saying that with an original floyd rose you dont have to mess with the bridge everytime you change the tuning or string gauge ?

No, I'm not saying that. With any floating tremelo system that relies on tension, anytime you change gauges or tunings, the trem system has to be adjusted.

The licensed Floyd Rose's aren't made as well and don't hold tune as well. A Floyd is fine if you plan on playing in one tuning. I play standard E almost always and if I need a different tuning, I change guitars.

They are a lot of hassle if you constantly change tunings, but I rarely play music that I need alternate tunings for, so it suits my style perfectly.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/29/2004 1:34 am
Well, I guess I'm gonna find out for myself...

I bought a re-issue Stage Series Washburn A-10 on eBay a while ago, and it came in today. "Some assembly required" as they say. :rolleyes: I haven't owned a trem-equipped axe since my 1986 Fender '62 RI Strat. And the first thing I did with that was to replace the trem with a big block of brass!

I'm in the final stages of moving out of my old place and into a new one, so I won't have time to work on it until next week, but it looks like a real nice piece of kit! I have an original Washburn Stage Series A-20CS hardtail, and this A-10 feels very similar. Some of the cosmetics are a bit nicer, like MOP logo inlay on the headstock. And it's a much deeper blue than the pix on the eBay listing. :cool: The trem is a licensed Floyd Rose, so I may be in for some interesting times.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
04/29/2004 6:32 am
Nice pickup Lord.

My Ibanez has a licensed one on it now and I haven't had any trouble, but from the majority of people I've talked too (techs and players) the licensed ones aren't as good.

For me, it works fine...for others maybe not. But all in all good pickup and be ready for some dive bombing and interest pitch changes! :p and get rid of that old caddy!! :D
# 7
Death55
Death55
04/29/2004 8:18 am
Originally Posted by: Pantallica1No, I'm not saying that. With any floating tremelo system that relies on tension, anytime you change gauges or tunings, the trem system has to be adjusted.

The licensed Floyd Rose's aren't made as well and don't hold tune as well. A Floyd is fine if you plan on playing in one tuning. I play standard E almost always and if I need a different tuning, I change guitars.

They are a lot of hassle if you constantly change tunings, but I rarely play music that I need alternate tunings for, so it suits my style perfectly.

I find i almost never need to change the tuning but i play so much which means i need to change my srings every week or two and it takes sooo long :mad:
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/29/2004 4:08 pm
Originally Posted by: Pantallica1... and get rid of that old caddy!! :D
Old?!?

Gimme a break! It's a 1986 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance - that's ten whole years newer than the Ford LTD I was driving before! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.