Anybody else get tired of seeing the same names all the time?

Digit
Digit
03/28/2004 1:29 am
Like I know all these guys are 'great' guitar players and everything but man, I get so tired of seeing the same names repeated over and over again in magazines. Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, Van Halen, Hendrix... etc etc...

I mean, why does the media always seem to pick like 10 people, and that's all they ever focus on.
It's the same with female singers... Dion, Avril, Spears, Shania...

There's like 6 billion people on the planet. There's gotta be more talent out there than just these few people.
# 1
sambob
sambob
03/28/2004 1:44 am
Not really, I don't have that problem.

If you ignore the media.. then you won't have these problems.

Just like people always say, complaining about the state of popular music. I don't watch MTV, I don't listen to pop radio... so I don't have to complain about it.!
# 2
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
03/28/2004 2:59 am
Magazines, really don't care who is gong to be the next best guitarist out of those 6 billion ppl. Putting Van Halen on the cover is going to sell. Putting Cooley on it is not. They are in it for the money.

Think of it this way, if the most popular pop rock radio station played dimmu borgir and morbid angel, would they be listened to as much.

It's all about how much money they will make.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 3
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
03/28/2004 4:02 am
Originally posted by sambob
Not really, I don't have that problem.

If you ignore the media.. then you won't have these problems.

Just like people always say, complaining about the state of popular music. I don't watch MTV, I don't listen to pop radio... so I don't have to complain about it.!

I too subscribe to this method. I haven't the slightest clue who's "popular" any more because I never watch TRL and other shows like that, where they show you the trendy videos. I only watch MTV and VH1 for the specials they do because I sometimes find them entertaining (other times not:))

As for the same guitarists' names being tossed around all the time I too would like to hear about some other guys once in a while.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 4
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
03/28/2004 8:28 am
Originally posted by DreamRyche2112
Magazines, really don't care who is gong to be the next best guitarist out of those 6 billion ppl. Putting Van Halen on the cover is going to sell. Putting Cooley on it is not. They are in it for the money.

Think of it this way, if the most popular pop rock radio station played dimmu borgir and morbid angel, would they be listened to as much.

It's all about how much money they will make.

That's the truth, ruth. It comes down to money. There are certainly many more great guitarists than those, but Satriani sells...so he gets exposure. They are also mostly rock genres. Very rarely you see Stanley Jordan or Paco DeLucia on the cover of guitar magazines. Rock = mainstream, hence more coverage.
# 5
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
03/28/2004 11:48 pm
Maybe people bring up those guitarists, because they know people will know who they are talking about. If they just bring up some random guitarist who most people don't know about there really is no point, because everyone is just going to be like "who the *censor* is that" then move on.

# 6
babsmarble
babsmarble
04/02/2004 1:13 am
Are any of you people listening to yourselves?These guys put in more time on the axe then any of these "NEW" guys or bands out there with almost NO recognition,no radio play,and none of the big money contracts like the other fly by night clowns.They deserve to be on every cover possible,these guys broke down the walls of guitar,innovating new styles,techniques,and playing like no other one out there,and through underground venues and persistance they finally are getting there props.The reason you don't see a bunch of new faces is because only the strong survive,and there aren't many made like these guys,So, instead of complaining,why not just enjoy there music and be happy these guys brought us their stellar style of play. Peace out
# 7
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
04/02/2004 1:45 am
I don't think anyone once dissing the big names like Hendrix, Jimmy Paige, ect. I think the point everyone was trying to make is that it would be nice to hear about new guitarrists who are pushing the boundaries even further.

# 8
Tank_Simmons
Tank_Simmons
04/02/2004 7:41 pm
You all make some pretty good points. But I have to agree with the post about making money. Every media outlet is concerned with the bottom line, wherever that may be. Mentioning Joe Perry, Jimmy Page and Steve Vai in various articles or whatnot will sell magazines simply on name recognition. Not many people, besides the minority of us guitar players, know any guitar players that aren't on the cover of these mags. Yeah it would be great if mags explored a bit and mentioned some more guitarists, like Keb Mo (blues....freakin awesome musician) and such, but that won't make as much money....it's all economics. It will be that way forever, until I take over the world......then all bets are off.
Knock, knock
Who's there?
Ted Bundy
Ted Bundy who?
Let me in, meat
No!!!!
I mean....Hi, it's Santa Claus
Yay!....Santa!
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.