how to repair loose strap button holes

the fool
the fool
03/24/2004 12:56 am
The hole for my strap button is loose. The screw for my schaller lock straps keep on falling off. I cant install my strap buttons. How do I repair it?
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
03/24/2004 5:06 am
If you're a wimp and/or cheap, take out the strap button (unscrew it). Get some toothpicks. Jam a few toothpicks in the button hole, then break off the parts that're sticking out. Carpenter's glue (the yellow stuff) is optional. Screw the button back on.

Another slightly more expensive and involved method is to get some good quality wood filler. I have some "wood epoxy" at home, which I have yet to test run, but on the box it says that it is stronger than wood and can take screws. I actually found a link to the very stuff I have. With this stuff, you mix the two parts of the epoxy together which makes a paste. Then, insert the paste into the hole and let it cure for probably about 24 hrs. Then you're good to go; you can drill a pilot hole for the strap button screw and then re-install.

The third way, which I have actually done on my friend's bass, involves a piece of wood dowelling, carpenter's glue and a drill. First, find a piece of wood dowelling that is only slightly larger than the starp button screw hole. Buy it. Bring it home. Then, drill out the strap button hole with a bit which is the same diameter as the dowel. Cut a piece of the dowelling that is the same depth as the hole you've just drilled out OH MY GOODNESSS WHAT ARE YOU DOING, DRILLING YOUR GUITAR HAVE YOU GONE MAD!?!?! . Next, take a deep breath and calm down. Stick some carpenter's glue into the hole, then insert the dowel. Let it sit for 24 hours. Then, drill a small pilot hole for the strap button screw and reinstall.

There.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
03/25/2004 3:59 am
I would actually HIGHLY recommend the third way of doing things from Mr. Eggy there. Or you can just be cool and use eye bolts from Home depot and then those rope holder things mountain climbers use to hold your strap on.... :)
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 3
spanky10940
spanky10940
03/25/2004 10:01 pm
:D welcome to "this old guitar" I'm Eggman Vila... let's get started...

LOL!!! I'm wondering, who's got the carpenter crack? we need to get some good wood glue in there!
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 4
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
03/25/2004 11:39 pm
I'll just quickly say that the cheap method works.

When I first put my strap locks on I put the toothpicks in anyway even though it wasn't particulary loose, it just made it a bit tighter.

- J
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.