Pickups for 12 string

the fool
the fool
03/20/2004 1:11 am
whats a good pickup for 12 strings? i recently got an epiphone custom g 1275 and i'm thinking of changing the pus on the 12 string. i want a beatles, byrds kind of tone.
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/20/2004 5:06 am
I tried several of the contact mics and they were terrible !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
the fool
the fool
03/20/2004 3:19 pm
?
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/20/2004 3:42 pm
what part of "contact mics are bad" don't you understand ?
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/20/2004 11:03 pm
Originally posted by Dr_simon
what part of "contact mics are bad" don't you understand ?
I guess it's the part that doesn't say what kind of pickups he should get :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
the fool
the fool
03/21/2004 5:03 am
amen

# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/21/2004 1:45 pm
A pickup is a transducer, that moves energy from one form into another. A conventioal pickup generates electrisity by virtue of a conductive wire moving in a magnetic field. A contact mic works like a telephone.

The sort of pickup you are thinking of and a contact mic both do the same job. They catch the noise that the guitar makes and convert it into little packets of electricity that can be fed down a conductive wire.

These packets of electricity contain "information" (I'm using metaphor now..clever eh) that can be amplified by an amplifier and turned into sound by using the amplified "packets of information" -from, yes the transducer (or pick up or whatever else you want to call it) and turn it into waves of compressed gas phase molecules that are known by lay people as "sound waves" and providing you are not in a complete vacuum and have your **** down, can sound quite pleasant.

SO, armed with the above information, it is obvious that a contact mic is a form of "pickup" as it "picks up" vibrations and helps relay them to a amplifier

QED
# 7
the fool
the fool
03/21/2004 5:42 pm
?

# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/21/2004 6:40 pm
LMAO @ DS! "Oops!" would have been a lot more concise. :)

Well, fool, since it should now be quite clear that you shouldn't replace your guitar's pickups with a contact microphone, you should probably consider PAF type pickups. I can recommend DiMarzio PAF's, I use them myself. Please look them up, and decide for yourself - unless you can work out a way to try them out first, you will have to make a "leap of faith" and buy a pair of whatever you chose.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
the fool
the fool
03/23/2004 12:11 pm
do u know of any guitar that use Dimarzio PAFs so I can try it on my local music store?

# 10
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/23/2004 3:22 pm
Try phoning the stores. I don't know if any guitar maker installs DiMarzio PAF pickups at the factory.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.