Neck Crack

basics
basics
03/10/2004 2:53 am
Anyway, some chick wants me to teach her guitar. I said ok, because this isn't the type of chick you turn down. Hole's a hole in my opinion but this chick's quicksand.

Anywho, my accoustic got wet last summer camping and it resulted in a warped bridge part, no biggie, but there's a crack in the neck that makes my strings go out of tune everytime I play it. I need some advice. I'm no techy - I leave that up to those who can't play - and I thought you guys might be able to help. totally just kidding.

Anyway, it's that part that branches downwards at right angles from the neck at the very top of the body. That's the best description I can think of because I'm braindead just coming back from my first run in years, goddamn chicks. There's a crack in it in what looks like where two pieces of wood were glued together. I want to know: Can I just shove glue in there? I took a webcam picture of it but I don't know how to paste it.
# 1
spanky10940
spanky10940
03/10/2004 4:03 am
Basics... I hate to tell you, but from the way it sounds, that guitar may have taken it's last shot! depending on how bad your "bridge part" is warped and how deep that crack goes, it will never play the same again - best advice, take it to an experienced luthier. Depending on the cost / emotional value the guitar holds, it may be cheaper to replace it with something with a good CASE :D

good luck!

btw - what ever happened with the chick?
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
03/10/2004 5:18 am
You might be able to slap a new neck on that puppy, but with a warped bridge, it's like spanky said, it's probably bit the big one.

Sounds like it's time to go shopping! Hit up a Long & McQuade or whatever is up in N. Ontario. Check out Simon & Patrick guitars; they're grrreat!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 3
basics
basics
03/10/2004 12:47 pm
Well man, I'm a starving student as it is. lol. I can do this, I know I can. By the bridge being warped, I just meant it's being pulled forward a bit. But that crack is another story. If the neck of the guitar is an 'L' while the guitar is standing straight up, this part is the bottom of the 'L' that attaches onto the body. ...And this crack is deep man, it pretty much cuts the bottom half of the 'L' in half and ... jesus, I can see right though the guitar pretty much all the way from... like where the body meets this bottom half of the 'L'. LOL.

This chick demands teaching (you know what that means) and I can't do it without an accoustic. Without further advice I'm going to pick up some wood glue, shove it in the cracks somehow and put a concrete brick on it to hold it in place. Gotta put an effort into it at least.
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/10/2004 1:53 pm
I'd be checking ebay as your axe sounds very broken.

Do you want said chick to think you don't know enough to realize when a guitar is broken ?
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
spanky10940
spanky10940
03/10/2004 3:41 pm
The good doctor makes a great point!!!

A good craftsman cares for his tools... if you're intent on trying to fix it.. go get yourself some gorilla glue. it's about $6 (USD) a bottle..

wet the inside of the crack lightly with some water and then apply the glue. Get some STRONG rubberbands or a clamp to hold that mutha together and wait about a day or 2 for that stuff to cure. I've used it to glue a desk back together and my son was "stage diving" off of it the next week... hopefully this will give the neck a little help.....

oh - those craaaazy Canadiens! :D
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 6
basics
basics
03/11/2004 1:29 pm
Hey thanks man. You know, these cracks are just ... There's an expression to describe tiny little things that has to do with hair... just big enough to see the tinest shred of light coming through from the other side. If I do pick up that glue I don't know how I'm going to get it in there without trying to widen the crack just for that purpose. If only there was some microfiliment (I don't know what that means) thin glue that comes in little patches that is razor thin and that you keep froozen until you need it and then you slide it in where you want and heat it with a blowdryer to make it ...sticky. Some sort of superglue patch but razor thin. That's what I need.
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/12/2004 3:39 am
Try "Hot Stuff" cyanoacrilate glue. This is an industrial grade of "superglue". Luthiers often use it for fret installation.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
basics
basics
03/13/2004 5:30 am
I'll do that, thanks.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.